Election 2008 | John McCain | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #240 John McCain edition

Somehow I ended up with four John McCain-related clips in a very short space of time.
Here they are!

WALNUTS: This message approved by someone who thinks he's John McCain.
(source: wonkette)

JAMES DOBSON: Laura Ingraham reads statement from James Dobson of Focus on the Family, saying he won't support McCain because, among other things, he opposes a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. (source: talking points memo)

MAVERICK: The media's favorite nickname for John McCain.

BOB DOLE: Tells Rush Limbaugh to BACK OFF John McCain.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here

Comments

1. After last night, and judging from comments by major players in both Obama's and Clinton's camps, I think it's almost safe to say it's McCain's presidential campaign to lose. The Dem. party is so fractured and divided, that I fear neither of them will be able to fix it by November.

Supporters from both sides have indicated they won't bother voting for the other candidate. It's pretty telling when Obama's wife Michelle says something along those lines on Good Morning America.

McCain's clearly the front-runner with a solid base of supporters that is, far an away, stronger than Romney's or Huckabee's. Boys, it's likely time to plan for another four years of the Repubs! BLAH!

Posted by: James | Feb 6, 2008 3:47:35 PM

2. WALNUTS!

LMMFAO!!!!

Posted by: me | Feb 6, 2008 3:58:23 PM

3. James, I think you're wrong. The polls I saw yesterday indicated 72% of those who voted for Hillary said they could vote for Obama and 70% of those who voted for Obama said they could vote for Hillary (I could have these inverted, but either way very high numbers.) Also, of the votes cast in primary season so far, 76% MORE ballots have been cast for the Democrats than the Republicans. Meaning the Democrats are charged up and the Republicans are disinterested. I don't think the Democrats are necessarily fractured, we have two great candidates right now.

Posted by: EricW | Feb 6, 2008 4:06:44 PM

4. Fox always has an agenda. I think Fox is trying to paint McCain as a liberal, so that the independents and some Dems will elect him.

Posted by: Landis | Feb 6, 2008 4:06:57 PM

5. I agree James, the Democrtas are so divided, and with the nasty race they are running, that it will be a huge shock to see McCain not win the whole thing.

And, Bob Dole is still alive? And, trying to stand up to Limbaugh now, please.

Posted by: Sebastian | Feb 6, 2008 4:22:31 PM

6. If Dobson hates McCain, there's got to be something good about him. "Foul language!" Horrors!

Posted by: KJ | Feb 6, 2008 4:31:48 PM

7. ERICW: I hope you're right bud! I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic, but each day, someone-somewhere says or does something that just sends me spiraling into a state of negativity and pessimism.

CNN just reported that 14.7 million Dems voted yesterday, compared to 8.4 Repubs -- which is consistent in past caucus/primary turnouts. Pretty amazing numbers, but at the same time, really pathetic considering the number of eligible voters in this country. I won't label the Repubs. as "disinterested" just yet -- the crazy types of that party haven't shown their claws just yet. They're warming up to 'Swift-Boat" and rip up the Dem. nominee.

I cannot lie; I am a Hillary supporter, but I won't withhold my vote if Obama wins the nomination. I don't agree with his stance (or lack thereof) on several issues, and the fact that he has not been tested long enough by this brutal system of America's politics. It's becoming more likely he's going to trounce Hillary in the upcoming votes, but will he be able to withstand the Repub. nutcases if he wins the nomination? Hillary has shown she can -- and I've yet to see anyone dispute that.

Posted by: James | Feb 6, 2008 4:32:16 PM

8. I'm going to mention this again.

Obama-Clinton!

Clinton-Obama!

Demand it! Its time for democrats to finally, truly unite.

Posted by: Astonedtemple | Feb 6, 2008 6:26:51 PM

9. Dear Miss James Dobson,
    Look at it this way. Since you won't be campaigning for McCain, you will have more time to foot tap with Larry Craig in public restrooms. Have a nice day.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Feb 6, 2008 8:04:11 PM

10. It is so good to see the GOP feeding on themselves. I spoke to several of my staunch GOP Catholic Conservative brothers and sister this weekend and they are besides themselves. My sister said she was actually thinking of voting for Obama if McCain gets the nomination. The GOP is so divided and confused that if we get behind either Barack or Hillary, and they will support each other, we will win.

Bye Bye Bush, your car is waiting, and don't worry about the driver. Ted Kennedy is really good at crossing bridges. Promise.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 6, 2008 8:47:05 PM

11. you think the race is already over? ha - it's waaaaaaayyyy too long to settle this thing for the media. and with McCain's long history of "public service", there will be lotsa skeletons that'll eek out of the closets () once "Pappy" is front and center. He's a well known asshole in DC. The long knives will be out and twisting, ready for insertion at just the right time in the news cycle.

just wait, kiddoes. nobody loves drama like the media - even if they have to cook it up themselves. with the heaping of fodder McCain's got loaded up, it'll be a feast of tidbits that'll make Prex Clinton's scandals look juvenile.

Posted by: resurrect | Feb 6, 2008 8:50:30 PM

12. I thought Dobson was barred, because of his tax-exempt status, from making political pronouncements. Yet every time I turn around, this angry old coot is doing just that. When is somebody going to nail his mouth shut, like it's supposed to be?

Posted by: Alan | Feb 6, 2008 9:20:05 PM

13. The most important issue in this Democratic election did not happen in this election. It isn't Hillary's "tears" in New Hampshire or Bill's role as a surrogate "attack-dog." It isn't the unique dimension of the frontrunner candidates' race or gender. Instead, it is a war that began 40 years ago and persists to this day.

At least, it is according to Andrew Sullivan.

In possibly the most persuasive case for Barack Obama's candidacy, Sullivan's brilliant piece "Goodbye to All That" - published in the December edition of The Atlantic - documents why Obama's victory is the only way forward. It is because Obama, and Obama alone, is able to end the legacy of impairment that began with the Vietnam War.

Posted by: NowItMatters | Feb 7, 2008 9:37:49 AM