Barack Obama | Barbara Walters | Democratic Party | Election 2008 | News

Barack Obama the Hot Topic on The View

Barbara Walters hit on Barack Obama today on The View, telling the Democratic candidate he was "very sexy looking." They also touched on some other topics.

ViewobamaOn being a distant relative of Brad Pitt: "I guess we're ninth cousins something removed or something. I think he got the better-looking side of the gene pool."

On surviving the attack machine: "I'm skinny but I'm tough. I think the way to handle attacks, wherever they're coming from. And there have been some tough punches thrown in this Democratic primary. It's not like I've kind of been taking a cakewalk through this primary. The way I like to handle attacks is to answer honestly, swiftly, forcefully and truthfully. I think the truth is a powerful weapon."

On Jeremiah Wright: "Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws — then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying there at the church."

View the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well my darlings, I watched the last half of obama on the view – missed the first half because I had to watch my teletubbies, just love ‘em, especially laa laa, anyway, I for one was impressed by him, he was good and spoke so intelligently and eloquently -– can you image shrub vainly trying to spit out one coherent sentence? – and I will vote for him if he’s the candidate or hillary if she’s the one --- but my fervent hopes are that they will run together and defeat the powers of darkness enveloping our land.

Posted by: the queen | Mar 28, 2008 2:04:21 PM

2. JOHNNY: I usually wouldn't rise to (or, in this case, lower to) the bait of such troll-esque, inflammatory comment, but if what you say is true, why does poll after poll show Obama doing so well among the highly educated?

Posted by: rascal | Mar 28, 2008 2:18:14 PM

3. Rascal - I have lost count as to the number of Ivy League educated people I have known over the years who are devoid of common sense. And those are polls PRIOR to the Wright hate speech revelations you are quoting.

Paul R. - Have you forgotten that Nader cost Gore the election? The spoiler is waiting in the wings until he gets the cue and compensation package from the Republicans.

Derrick - Your Kool Aid fix wasn't strong enough. Surely you can do better than that!

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Mar 28, 2008 2:56:01 PM

4. Oh, JOHNNY LANE, I just got finished posting to another JOHNNY on the "Man is 22 Weeks Pregnant" thread. That JOHNNY is inspiring. You are just a Republican who keeps meddling in Democrats' business. Put on your McCain button and worry about your own party. Your man is as dull as a door knob against Obama.

And what Kool Aid? I'm fifty years old--better add the damn Vodka in there first? I'll settle for Gin...if I have to.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 28, 2008 3:06:10 PM

5. Ok, I'm british-will anyone take the time out to explain to me the 'kool aid' reference? Is that what young people drink in America? Like Sunny Delight?

Posted by: John | Mar 28, 2008 3:34:26 PM

6. Derrick - Once again, you have it all wrong. I am a Democrat, who is obviously for Hillary. So your comprehension skills need some polishing. As for age, I have you beat as I am pushing 57. I will never be "inspiring" when it comes to Obama. Nobody with any brains should be. Let me rephrase what I said so perhaps you can comprehend. If Ronald Reagan had attending a white supremest based church, do you think he ever would have been elected President? What about Bill Clinton, an even better example.

Obama's attendance of Trinity Church, if you can even call it that, and the IRS may soon revoke that "status", clearly demonstrates that he is incapable of rational independent thinking, but moreover he is easily influenced by the likes of snake oil salesman akin to ranting lunatics. Whether you want to accept it or not, the masses who have not voted in the primaries, some 70 million plus, will stampede to the polls to make very sure Obama is not elected, assuming he is the nominee. And, if for some idiotic reason Obama is on the ticket, then the Democratic Party will have clearly demonstrated that collectively they are not capable of leading this country, just as they have done with their control of Congress. It is very sad to say but true. Nancy Pelosi and company are the most pitiful excuse for Congressional leadership in my lifetime and a horrible disappointment. The first week Pelosi became Speaker of the House, she announced "impeachment is off the table." I sent her a Fed Ex letter blasting her for her stupidity. She might as well lay down in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue and invited George Bush to run her over with a steam roller, which he has. But you see the backroom deals were already cut. He said, you fund my war and I'll sign-off on your pork barrel earmarks, by the thousands! And so it was done. Any grandstanding by the Democrats you may have seen was just that. An act fit for a three ring Barnum and Bailey circus.

At this point, almost anything can happen, except Obama becoming President.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Mar 28, 2008 3:53:05 PM

7. Hey Banne.

Sniper fire.

Posted by: astonedtemple | Mar 28, 2008 3:53:10 PM

8. Hey, JOHN: Glad to know there are folks from civilized countries here on Towleroad (now let them come after me like they did Reverend Wright). Yeah, Kool Aid is a kid's drink here in the US. But there may be some other meaning to "drinking the Kool Aid". We had this cult leader, Jim Jones, who got a whole bunch of his followers to commit suicide by drinking poisoned Kool Aid. But that was back in the 70s, unfortunately, most of those were Democrats too.

JOHNNY: I didn't miscomprehend. You may have been a Henry Jackson Democrat for years, but this year you are a Republican. You certainly think like one. And what makes you think that all those folks who didn't participate in the primaries would be so enthusiastic about voting for Hillary. That's my argument about why her wins in all the big states doesn't mean she can win them in November.

Anyway, it's a done deal, JOHNNY. The very fact that Barack is still leading at this point means that the Democratic Party basically rejected Mrs Clinton. As Senator Dodd said it is time to get ready for the fall election. It's time for Barack Obama to start thinking about a vice-presidential running mate who will help bring the party together and reassure some Americans doubts about him.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 28, 2008 4:19:12 PM

9. JOHN (from britain),

i cut and pasted the following from wiki:

"Warren "Jim" Jones (May 13, 1931 – November 18, 1978) was the American founder of the Peoples Temple, which became synonymous with group suicide after the November 18, 1978 mass murder-suicide by poison in their isolated agricultural intentional community called Jonestown, located in Guyana, South America. Over 900 people died from cyanide poisoning or gunshot wounds in the aftermath of Jones ordering his men to kill visiting Congressman Leo Ryan and numerous members of his entourage."

the story was major news in the U.S. back then. the poison was diluted in kool-aid. thus, when somone drinks the "kool-aid" of a flim-flam artist, they are mindlessly buying into his/her bullshit.

i am not making a judgment on hillary or obama, i'm just giving you the context. how are things across the pond? we liberal americans are destroying each other over two candidates whose policies are virtually identical. we yanks are stupid, huh?

Posted by: nic | Mar 28, 2008 4:42:02 PM

10. Wrong again Derrick. Damn you are slow! I never said the 70 million who haven't voted yet are going to vote for Hillary. What I did say is that if Obama is the Democratic nominee they will turn out to vote against Obama. Unfortunately, that means McCain or an independent. If Obama is the nominiee, how in the hell are they going to vote for Hillary? Get some more Kool Aid Derrick. You need some kind of a fix!

Nothing is a done deal. You can be assured that the very worst of Obama's past and his lies are yet to come forward. And they will. But the damage is done and it is irreversible. If there wasn't so much at stake, it would be fun to watch the Republicans Swift Boat him straight to hell. He deserves nothing less.

If McCain is elected, I am moving to Australia. That man does not have the skills or energy to manage the crisis facing this country. He will be focused on the war and little more. I'm not worried about Obama being elected to anything.

I am going to the movies. Stop-Loss started today and I dare say it will be much more interesting than the discussion here. So rant away.......

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Mar 28, 2008 4:45:40 PM

11. Wright + 20 years = racist = obama

Posted by: z | Mar 28, 2008 4:45:45 PM

12. Clearly, Johnny, you haven't been paying attention over the course of the last two weeks. ALL polling suggests that since Obama made his race speech last Tuesday that his numbers have gone up and Hillary down. In fact, in today's Gallup poll, Obama has his greatest lead over Hillary EVER. Today's results from Pew Research and Rassmussen show similar results.

In addition, the Democratic Party has NEVER seen a surge in voter registration like we've seen this year. Dems have outnumbered GOP in EVERY state primary this year (with the exceptions of Utah - Romney, Arizona - McCain, Michigan and Florida). Yes, more Democrats voted in Wyoming and Mississippi than Republicans and they are voting because of Barack Obama!

Lastly, get your facts straight, Obama cleans up amongst the college-educated white crowd. It ain't close. Downscale voters and older white women are Hillary's only remaining base. Please do your research before spewing nonsense.

And a brief editorial: I for one find it outrageously troubling that someone can't say "God damn America" in a speech from the pulpit or the Senate floor. Are we so scared of dissent that such speech should be considered treasonous? I have thought the same thing many times over the course of the last 7 years and I truly don't understand what all the fuss is about. My dinner table is just as "controversial" and I'd have it no other way. I would also argue that such discussion and dissent is at the heart of patriotism.

Clearly, I don't agree with what Rev. Wright said but dissent and discussion is HEALTHY. The fact that Obama sat and listened to someone who is so far outside of the mainstream and came away thinking entirely differently is somewhat refreshing to me.

Posted by: Rufus | Mar 28, 2008 4:52:21 PM

13. Derrick: Thanks!
    Nic: Thanks too!

Yeah, I heard about Jonestown...I didn't realize it was 'koolaid' that they drunk with the poison?!

Shit; that's a pretty hash insult, wtf is up with that? Kool aid?

To be honest, we think you're all crazy. It beggars belief the amount of hatred that some people have for Obama on this site and in other places. It's frightening. That Johnny guy is soo angry and so determined he won't be president, that it makes you think what the repubs think and the really irrational racists. For Obama's sake-with people feeling so strongly about a man who just happens to be a little bit too idealistic and dare I say, inexperienced; that I hope he doesn't get elected.

It'll serve you guys right as you haven't learnt after Bush or when Clinton was in charge. You're not liked by the world and to put another Clinton in, well, you STILL will not be liked because on the outside it seems like you haven't learnt and you are going backwards instead of forward.

It just shows that after 9/11 and all this Islam hate, you don't want change and you want the same people back in charge to run things how they were.

Oh well. I think their is more chance of Fidel Castro kissing George Bush-but it would be a smart move for the Dems to erm, look like they ARE a party.

It seems that if Obama is chosen, a huge percentage of Dems won't vote for him. That's perplexing in itself.

I just hope the British don't follow you guys into anymore wars!? :)

Posted by: john | Mar 28, 2008 5:05:49 PM

14. oh no you di'nt, english JOHN, you picked sides. i know you di'nt!

my friend DERRICK will luv, luv, luv you. i, on the other hand....

we americans come to you limeys for support when we start unprovoked wars. otherwise, we don't care what you think.

Posted by: nic | Mar 28, 2008 5:59:07 PM

15. let's see : first he never heard the comments from his pastor, then he heard them but he's just a sweet crazy old uncle that he would never disown just like he can't disown being (half) black (but his typical white granny sure was a bigot), and now, gosh darn it ! he was JUST about to quit the church when the old guy went and retired. ain't that always the way ?
    no mention yet of how the new pastor is just as nuts because, when easter sunday rolled around, barrack had to hightail it to the islands to work on his tan. boy, folks sure are gullible, aren't they ?

Posted by: el polacko | Mar 28, 2008 7:20:22 PM

16. Hillary needs to drop out already! She's destroying the Democratic party's chances by going Republican on Obama. She can't win, everyone knows it.

To Hillary supporters:

I know you're hurt, but we're on the same side and we need to unite.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 28, 2008 7:41:20 PM

17. Hillary has about as much a chance of winning this election as Bush does getting a third straight term, she is too divisive, and, a one trick politician, and, to show that she is only up at 3 AM waiting for her man to come home, hardly makes her qualified, too bad, no one has told her, her ratings among the population is as low as they ever have been. She is not electable, when she isn't even likable to the vast majority of voters.

And, this broke record on O's preacher just shows, she and her shills have nothing else to offer or debate, just the same old one trick, and, so easily duped by her "gaffes' on Bosnia and a whole long list of other "gaffes' she has made.

If, McCain is in the WH, blame it on Hillary and Bill's huge egos, and, their supporters with a narrow minded view of how the real world works, and, the people who live in it. She isn't a team player, never has been, and, in all likelihood, she and Bill will be out supporting McCain and will cast a vote for him, that's just how they are, along with their "supporters."

And, if they think she can beat McCain, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Posted by: Juan Pablo | Mar 28, 2008 7:53:10 PM

18. I for one will never forgive the Democratic party for how they have treated Hillary, trying to toss her out like an old rag. She and her husband have done an awful lot for not only the party but for the country at large. The vicious and arrogant attitudes displayed by the Obama cultists towards anyone who dares oppose them will fade soon enough in the agony of defeat come November. I for one will be glad, gay rights or no gay rights.

Posted by: MHK | Mar 28, 2008 9:07:40 PM

19. What is all this that Hill and Bill have "done" for the country? Her supporters are so shrill in ther defense, they always leave that fact out. Had she run an upfront, clean race, and stayed with real issues that affect real people, who knows, maybe she would have been the nominee by the voters, and, not by arm bending,and now having her man going on and on about how great McCain is, maybe she should try and be his veep.

Obama cultist?? More off the wall rants from desperate HRC supporters, who really should just join the Log Cabin group, since, its all about her and not the party or the country.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 28, 2008 9:42:30 PM

20. why do they continue to let that dumb ass Elizabeth speak?

Posted by: Glenda | Mar 28, 2008 10:22:46 PM

21. I admit Bill did a lot of good but that in no one entails Hillary to any of the credit. Fact is, being married to someone doesn't equal experience.

We also have to consider the negative things the Bush did, particularly to the gay community; from not overturning don't ask don't tell, to passing the defense of marriage act.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 28, 2008 11:57:33 PM

22. Opps, I meant Clinton. :D

Posted by: Alex | Mar 28, 2008 11:58:41 PM

23. Nic:

I haven't picked sides. I'm just pointing out to how it looks on the outside. It also looks on the outside that Hilary without a doubt is capable of being president. More so, she was the backbone to Bills presidency.

Do I think she would make a better pres? yes BUT she is still from the past....

Just saying..

And thanks for saving our arse! Which is why we went to war with you after 9/11 and we're still there in Iraq....

Posted by: John | Mar 29, 2008 10:28:44 AM

24. JOHN,

My comment about you Brits was completely tongue in cheek. We are the upstarts, the unruly nephews. It was our petulant and bellicose "shrub" who laid low your gentlemanly Tony Blair. Please indulge us as we go about our typically raucous, counterproductive (if not cannibalistic) business of selecting a liberal democrat to go against the rightist old fart, McCodger.

My heroes have never been cowboys. Many of them have been British, though: from Shakespeare to Coleridge, Wordsworth, and Byron; to Joyce, Woolf, and Elliot. OK, T.S. was born in America, but you get my drift, right?

Obama would make one sexy mofo of a prez, though, dontcha think? Rest assured that neither he nor Hillary would embarrass you guys.

Posted by: nic | Mar 29, 2008 6:22:18 PM

25. Could someone please post the 20 years of pure hatred and vitriol that Rev. Wright is supposed to have been preaching? I've heard of him saying a few rather bombastic things about certain events. The most widely discussed actually being a quote from a WHITE MAN:

(from Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/21/meet-the-white-man-who-_n_92793.html)

"I heard Ambassador Peck on an interview yesterday," Wright declared. "He was on Fox News. This is a white man and he was upsetting the Fox News commentators to no end. He pointed out, a white man, an ambassador, that what Malcolm X said when he got silenced by Elijah Muhammad was in fact true: America's chickens are coming home to roost."

Wright then went on to list more than a few U.S. foreign policy endeavors that, by the tone of his voice and manner of his expression, he viewed as more or less deplorable. This included, as has been demonstrated in the endless loop of clips from his sermon, bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki and nuking "far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon and we never batted an eye."

"Violence begets violence," Wright said, "hatred begets hatred, and terrorism begets terrorism."

And then he concluded by putting the comments on Peck's shoulders: "A white ambassador said that yall, not a black militant, not a reverend who preaches about racism, an ambassador whose eyes are wide open and is trying to get us to wake up and move away from this dangerous precipice... the ambassador said that the people we have wounded don't have the military capability we have, but they do have individuals who are willing to die and take thousands with them... let me stop my faith footnote right there."

It is a good thing that the GLBT community has never had the audacity or lack of patriotism to say anything against the WHITE POWER ELITE or the errors of the USA's past in regards to our treatment of OUR brothers and sisters as well as the errors of other nations treatment of members of the GLBT community.

Posted by: Timothy | Mar 30, 2008 8:15:40 AM