AIDS/HIV | Arizona | Barney Frank | Britney Spears | Bullying | Fashion Men | George W. Bush | Jake Gyllenhaal | James McGreevey | Mel Gibson | Mika | Models | News | Real Estate | Ryan Philippe | Wales | Wentworth Miller

BigGayDeal.com

News: Barney Frank, Bullied, Missing Emails, Steve May, Birdwatcher

road.jpg White House has new excuse for missing emails: we threw away the hard drives.

Perryroad.jpg Mangina: Make Me a Supermodel's Perry demonstrates how to do "a proper tuck".

road.jpg Ryan Phillippe gives Jake Gyllenhaal and Reese Witherspoon his blessing.

road.jpg Arizona Republican Steve May rescinds Congressional bid after mom and pop refuse to release him from family business: “(My parents) always see my behavior as erratic because they’re dishonest. Sobriety showed me that they were engaged in … evil behavior that I want nothing to do with."

road.jpg Judge anticipates more dirt in McGreevey divorce trial: "If Dina Matos McGreevey presses a claim that she was duped into marrying New Jersey's gay ex-governor, she'll likely endure a mountain of embarrassing evidence exposed at the trial. 'This week was just the tip of the iceberg,' Union County Superior Court Judge Karen Cassidy cautioned the warring former first couple at a hearing Thursday."

road.jpg Kate Beckinsale tells Allure she'd rather eat vagina than sushi: "I have to say, sushi freaks me out more than almost anything. At least a vagina would be warm. [laughs] My publicist has literally turned a funny color and is going to go have a lie-down. He's throwing up now, as well. I find a lot of things kind of funny and I often say what's on my mind, and then get nine texts from all my friends going, 'What's the matter with you?' But I haven't ever made a big attempt to have any particular image. And I don't really worry about it."

road.jpg Good news, Wentworth Miller fans. Prison Break has been picked up for a fourth season.

Demilleroad.jpg Mr. DeMille, your estate is ready for its close-up.

road.jpg Barney Frank calls for decriminalization of small amounts of marijuana on Real Time with Bill Maher: "Frank offered no details on his legislation, and it's not at all clear that he could ever get it to the House floor for a vote. A Frank aide was unaware of his plans other than his statement on HBO. Frank has introduced legislation in previous years to allow the use of 'medical marijuana,' although the bills never made it out of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Asked by [Bill] Maher as to why he would push a pot decriminalization bill now, Frank said the American public has already decided that personal use of marijuana is not a problem. 'I now think it's time for the politicians to catch up to the public,' Frank said. 'The notion that you lock people up for smoking marijuana is pretty silly. I'm going to call it the 'Make Room for Serious Criminals' bill.'"

road.jpg Hire your own paparazzo.

Wolferoad.jpg Bullying Billy: The NYT explores the case of one Fayetteville, Arkansas boy whose parents say has become a target for torment.

road.jpg Mika steps up security after death threats: "Apparently the 24-year-old crooner has been forced to step up security after receiving some dodgy death threats from over-zealous fans. But the Grace Kelly star seems determined to put on a brave face, insisting: 'I'm absolutely fine - don't worry about me - I'm not scared.' In fact, far from shying away, he's promising to be much more flamboyant. 'I want to make my shows even more dramatic,' he told us."

road.jpg Rediscovering God: Britney Spears negotiating to sing gig at Mel Gibson's Holy Family Catholic Church in Malibu.

road.jpg Welsh TV birdwatcher Iolo Williams says his tight-fitting shorts have found him a new audience: "The dad-of-two, married to wife Ceri, told Wales on Sunday: 'A friend of mine, a girl who lives in Newport, told me about one of her mates who is gay, and said they have an informal gay club. One thing they did was tape my S4C programmes wearing my tight shorts and would get together in a bar to watch it. I was a little bit surprised at first but absolutely delighted. If they all watched my programmes it would probably double my audience!' Game-for-a-laugh Iolo said he’d would be more than happy to pop out for a pint with his newfound fanbase."

road.jpg I Love My Boo: NYC safe sex campaign targets young Black and Latino gay and bisexual men. "One of the elements of this campaign that I love is that the language reflects it's target audience. It's current and even a little hood. ... Beautiful images of brothers loving and respecting each others bodies and souls. Now that's not something you see everyday."

Comments

1. thanks for picking this story up Andy, my stomach has been churning since I read this earlier. that boy's daddy should have picked up a shotgun and put a stop to this bullshit a long time ago.

Posted by: anthony | Mar 24, 2008 2:17:55 PM

2. My life is still adversely affected by the bullying I received in school -- and I'm in my late 30s. Clearly, the efforts his parents have made to stop the violence have not worked, so they should pull him out of school before his life is ruined.

Posted by: Dh | Mar 24, 2008 2:37:34 PM

3. The kid's parents should put him in a different school. If they can't afford a private one, they should demand that the county put him in a school where he can make a fresh start.

It'd also be great if he started working out and beated the shit out of his tormentors. He could take lessons from the wrestler profiled earlier.

Anthony, I'm not sure it would be especially helpful if his father were imprisoned for murdering teens.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 24, 2008 2:45:28 PM

4. DH, you're absolutely right. That bullying shit can haunt you for years. But sometimes, I wonder if it isn't easier for gay boys to get over the bullying. What I mean is, we know the reason for our unjust treatment, and hopefully that's what we consider it to be: unjust. But a straight boy being bullied, he has no mental defense mechanism to deal with it; hence, Columbine, Virginia Tech. etc.

Although, we don't know if his parents can afford to send him to another school. Some people are just plain sadistic: to get pleasure from torturing another human being.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 24, 2008 2:45:29 PM

5. Why is everyone afraid of a lawsuit everywhere else -- except at school and to deal with bullying?

If Billy were an employee and was getting regularly assaulted at a workplace, there would be HELL TO PAY. Same if Billy were a visible minority.

I think the only way this will get sorted out is if the school district and the parents of the bulliers are held legally accountable for this abuse. And don't tell me some enterprising lawyer can't make them pay.

Would it surprise anyone if Billy shot up that school and killed a bunch of his oppressors? Why are people doing nothing to help this poor kid? WTF?

Posted by: Dan | Mar 24, 2008 2:51:02 PM

6. Oy The McGreeveys..I use to think the antics were funny, but now it's sad. I'm a 27 yo Mexican guy in NYC and have never been called or called anyone "Boo"..but any awareness is good I suppose.

Posted by: daveynyc | Mar 24, 2008 3:27:22 PM

7. Davey, Boo, let's never forget to use the condoms!

Posted by: Kai in NYC | Mar 24, 2008 3:41:14 PM

8. I thought that Steve May was a good Mormon boy? Knocking his folks and boozing, is that allowed? Or, even being gay for that matter!

Posted by: Sebastian | Mar 24, 2008 5:21:32 PM

9. What the hell makes the White House think they can just whine that they lost the hard drives? No way will I believe there is not already a stringent, bureaucratic process in place to prevent that. I am so over their lies....

Posted by: oakling | Mar 24, 2008 5:23:28 PM

10. You know. I was picked on. Beat up. etc etc from the time I started school until I was a Junior in high school. I was never a big kid. I'm only 5'8" but that summer before my junior year I started running hay, and working on the farm. I grew some muscles is about it. In the second week of school a kid kept picking on me hitting me in the back of the head. I put up with it because of my Christian up bringing. (I was not yet out) It went on for weeks and I finally said to my bully, I'm giving you one last chance to stop this. He didn't to which I promptly turned around and smacked him right in the mouth. I never got picked on again. I actually was pretty popular after that.
    I to this day never let someone get the upper hand on me. Somewhere that summer I grew some balls and self confidence. Kids with self confidence don't get picked on. His parents should teach him that and not fight his battles.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 24, 2008 6:45:48 PM

11. "It would be costly and time-consuming for the White House to institute an e-mail retrieval program that entails pulling data off each individual workstation, the court papers filed Friday state."

Bullshit. The data retrieval effort is trivial. It's the time in court that they may have to spend based on the content of the email that would be costly and time-consuming for these criminals.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 24, 2008 7:05:45 PM

12. Eric, I was a pretty big kid, and slamming up this idiot motherfucker who taunted me against a locker in 8th grade had the same effect.

I usually disagree with responding to violence with violence, and this kid might just be too skinny or incapable of doing so. But in junior and high school, I agree that it's often the only response that idiots understand. They're trying to show off, and you have to belittle them to repel them. I find the claim that he was picked on because he's tall totally absurd.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 24, 2008 11:42:36 PM

13. Kids will pick on any other kid who is different. For me, it started with my name, then because I was fat, and then for five years, almost daily, because the kids decided I was gay (I didn't figure it out until the fifth year). At least, for me, it was only taunts, but this is on a whole different level.
    I went back and re-read the Billy Wolfe story, after reading the comments here. And while I find the story incomplete, it appears, when Billy did fight back, he was the one punished (check out the slide show and see his skinny bruised arms - working out ain't for everybody). I wouldn't be surprised if, in at least one incident, he threw the first punch (rightfully so or not - depending on whether any "fighting words" local ordinances are at play).
    What really horrifies me, is that the school was aware of the bullying from day one, and yet appears to have done next to nothing to stop it. The school's inactions, in my opinion, gave the bullies "implied" permission to continue to assault this boy. And it is not like these incidents aren't documented, though most likely tainted by "boys-will-be-boys" notations, and protected by student privacy rights, they are still part of the record. If it were an isolated incident, it would be one thing, but the school's officials, and surely the boy's teachers - if by the bruises alone, knew what was happening, over and over, and failed to provide what should be a protected environment for ALL of its students.
    Billy shouldn't have had to "work-out", or "become a 'man'". He should have felt safe.
    I can only imagine the psychological scars he has, and will have for years to come. I only hope he has a few friends, who think he is "cool", to balance the bad.
    Even though I don't think the Times article gives the full story, I say sue the school! Sue the sh-t out of the school!

Posted by: Clementine | Mar 25, 2008 3:36:23 AM