Kiss | News | Soap Operas | Television | Van Hansis

BigGayDeal.com

Luke and Noah Kiss: Long National Nightmare is Over

Lukenoah

As the World Turns' Luke and Noah fans were pleasantly surprised yesterday when their seven-month wait for a kiss between the characters came to an end.

Earlier this month, CBS execs denied their strategy for the characters was homophobic. Said daytime chief Barbara Bloom, "The only thing you're going to get out of me is that the pacing is slower with Luke and Noah than it is with other romances on ATWT. But that's good storytelling. We're in the business of getting people to watch more."

Which makes the lack of promotion for the kiss all the more surprsing. Normally, a scene like this would have been teased relentlessly but producers apparently decided on an ambush this time. Surprise!

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It was sweet, maybe even more so because it was unexpected. Perhaps the producers have been watching the German soap, "Forbidden Love". Nice way to begin the day.

Posted by: rudy | Apr 24, 2008 8:49:23 AM

2. Does this mean we should expect another Katrina anyday now?

Posted by: daveynyc | Apr 24, 2008 8:54:31 AM

3. This is no where as hot as christian and olli. But I'll take whatever I can get.

Posted by: Joel | Apr 24, 2008 9:08:52 AM

4. Well, I am pleased that the networks decided not to address or sway their decision due to "interest groups"; it is their network after all and the soap has been on for over 50 years.

Also, kudos on the network for not announcing it; it is just a kiss and not worthy of their advertising revenue. In addition as the CBS exec said, they are in the business of getting people to watch. If you do not know when "a kiss" is going to happen you will have to tune in each and every day!

Keep up the GREAT work CBS and the actors portraying Luke and Noah!

Posted by: Charles | Apr 24, 2008 9:11:36 AM

5. Bad Andy!!! This is something that definitely should have been "after the jump" and had spoiler alerts. I am two days behind on ATWT on TiVo and you've ruined the moment for me.

Posted by: EnigmaticAnswer | Apr 24, 2008 9:13:11 AM

6. Niiiice. Sexy kiss.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Apr 24, 2008 9:15:44 AM

7. "Long National Nightmare is Over". lol, andy. the one day i don't have the soap on in the background, this happens! thanks for the vid... too, too cute!

Posted by: nic | Apr 24, 2008 9:17:02 AM

8. I'm with NIC, Andy the "Long National Nightmare is Over" headline CRACKED ME UP!!!!!!! Comic GENIUS! The kiss was very sweet.

Posted by: JR | Apr 24, 2008 10:16:43 AM

9. I'm three episodes behind on my DVR and now you've ruined it!

MOMMY!

Posted by: John In Manhattan | Apr 24, 2008 10:46:08 AM

10. Am I the only gay man in America who was made sick to his stomach by the picture here of Noah kissing Luke with his “wedding” band proudly displayed front and center?

Am I the only gay man in America who is much more offended by the disgusting marriage storyline than he is by how many days have gone by since the last Luke and Noah kiss?

Am I the only gay man in America who feels that the storyline that had Noah jumping to marry a total stranger, instantly giving his relationship with Ameera more legal/religious/societal/cultural significance and validity than anything he could EVER achieve with the man he claims to really love, not only shows Luke and Noah's lack of respect for their relationship and for each other but also plays into the accusations that anti-gay people in the REAL world are making that gay people don’t deserve marriage equality because they don’t respect the institution or tradition of marriage and only want to use marriage as a means to get benefits; or that gay men’s relationships are shallow, so shallow that one man in a relationship can marry a woman and still keep his legal stranger boyfriend on the side for jollies; or that gay men marry poor innocent women for nefarious purposes; or that gay men, when given the chance, would prefer to play straight than live honestly and openly with a same sex partner?

Even though I stopped watching this show the very day they previewed the episode where Noah told Luke he was going to marry Ameera and Luke agreed, I can’t help but feel that ATWT is having a good chuckle at how quickly and easily gay men will lap up an offensive and degrading storyline as long as they get a little tongue action thrown at them every once in a while.

Sadly, It seems they’re right. We are shallow and we will lap up crappy storyline as long as we get to see two men kiss on screen.

Just can't have a gay story line on film or screen without at least one of the lovers having a girlfriend or married to a woman. Gay people and our relationships are clearly only interesting when they are raging stereotypes or when they are doing the gay thing an the side of a marriage.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 24, 2008 11:10:53 AM

11. Yes, Zeke, you are. And please, your spraying us all with you phobic spittle.

Posted by: Diana, the really Late Princess of Wales | Apr 24, 2008 11:18:03 AM

12. that was superlame
    how was that even a kiss?
    5 year olds kiss more passionatley than this
    omg

Posted by: eszter | Apr 24, 2008 11:40:05 AM

13. I just want to isolate that scene from the rest of the storyline and imagine that wedding ring is for Luke. *sigh*

Posted by: Lurker | Apr 24, 2008 11:50:31 AM

14. Could not agre more with Zeke we are still cartoons for most of the world except for many parts of Europe (the real civiliced areas of the world) it seams the more we are the lower our colective IQ drops.
    cheers

Posted by: Nemo | Apr 24, 2008 12:03:20 PM

15. I don't think Diana read more than 3 or 4 words in Zeke's comment. There was nothing phobic about what he typed.

Posted by: ridwah | Apr 24, 2008 12:03:45 PM

16. Thanks, Andy!

Posted by: Roger Newcomb | Apr 24, 2008 12:34:47 PM

17. What is more surprising is I've watched ATWT for years and I thought all along they had kissed before. I hadn't even noticed they hadn't until I read this. In fact I thought they kissed once in Luke's kitchen at the farm under some mistletoe around Christmas time? Whatever, I'd be much happier if they would trash the storyline of him married to that whore. So bored with that. I'd much rather see Brad running around with his shirt off than this crappy storyline anyway.

And why can't Jack and Carly get it together!? Driving me bonkers!

Posted by: Britton | Apr 24, 2008 1:09:04 PM

18. ZEKE,

rest assured, you are not alone; there may be a few others, but i am not among them. give it a rest once in a while. it is not for nothing that they are called soap operas. it is silly to read too much into them.

Posted by: nic | Apr 24, 2008 1:24:49 PM

19. Now I know why I didn't have a nightmare last night! Whew!

Posted by: anon | Apr 24, 2008 1:59:15 PM

20. Britton, Luke and Noah had a full mouth kiss several months ago. Since then the couple has kissed a few times, but the camera always panned away not showing the actual kiss. I believe there was a kiss on the cheek once since then...and once Luke kissed a sleeping Noah on the forehead. Yesterday was the second full mouth kiss the couple had...and there was a bit of spit too.

It's unlikely we will see another mouth kiss very soon. They're really spacing them out.

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 24, 2008 2:05:20 PM

21. So I am guessing they had to have the gay kiss before the new Gossip Girls where they reveal that one of the characters is gay and omg kissing a man!

Posted by: Brian | Apr 24, 2008 2:36:17 PM

22. I knew they had kissed before. Then why is this kiss a big deal?

I want to see them naked and doing it...screw the kissing. Two gay men would have kissed, done it, moved in together, broken up, slashed each other's tires and slept with the other guy's best friend by now. Who's writing this fiction!?

Posted by: Britton | Apr 24, 2008 5:43:43 PM

23. I'd sure like Luke to kiss me like that!

er...

In any event, yes it's disappointing that Luke and Noah aren't together, or married, etc., but it IS a soap opera. If the two aren't officially together in some overly dramatic and improbable way by the end of the summer, I'd be shocked. And then maybe mad.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 24, 2008 7:54:08 PM

24. "5 year olds kiss more passionatley than this"

God, I hope not!

What a creepy comparison.

What I want to know is where was the tongue, or is that another five years off in CBS' mentality? Simulated missionary-position sex ala the hets on the same show is probably a distant dream.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 24, 2008 8:05:35 PM

25. Luke and Noah have had 3 full mouth kisses. The first was when Noah was getting ready for his date with Maddie and Luke was fixing his tie (the long kiss); the second was right after Noah came out to everyone but his Dad and celebrated by laying one on Luke...just in time for his Dad to come around the corner (the full kiss was seen only on the first day, though it "continued" into the next episode); and yesterday's. Not great track record, but more than I've ever seen on a soap so far.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Apr 24, 2008 9:45:40 PM