Election 2008 | Hurricanes | John Hagee | John McCain | New Orleans | News

Pastor John Hagee Retracts Claim That Gay Sin Caused Katrina

Hagee

Early last week, Pastor John Hagee told right wing radio show host Dennis Prager that he still believed that Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans because gays were planning to hold a sinful gathering there.

HageenolaThe reiteration inspired a flurry of renewed protest, forcing John McCain, who has "gladly" accepted Hagee's endorsement, to respond. By the end of the week, a short-tempered McCain was snapping at reporters that the whole controversy was "nonsense."

At about the same time, apparently, Hagee's office was issuing this statement:

"As a believing Christian, I see the hand of God in everything that happens here on earth, both the blessings and the curses. But ultimately neither I nor any other person can know the mind of God concerning Hurricane Katrina. I should not have suggested otherwise. No matter what the cause of the storm, my heart goes out to all who suffered in this terrible tragedy. There but for the grace of God go any one of us."

Quite a turnaround, eh?

AFTER THE JUMP, a round-up of Hagee's controversial views.

(via pageoneq)

Comments

1. I'm not sure if it's the hand of God that made him change his tune--more likely some heavy political hands in the Republican party--but you just know it's genuine given that he'd stood by his statements only last week.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 29, 2008 11:38:16 AM

2. Are we voting for pastors or policos? I am so tired of God getting in the way of everything.

Posted by: flopass | Apr 29, 2008 11:46:33 AM

3. Andy, that's not exactly a retraction. He clearly still thinks that "the gays" caused the destruction of NOLA. He has merely stated that it is inappropriate for him to state emphatically that it was "the gays" because how could he or any other human know the mind of God.

This is the same "love the sinner, hate the sin" said in conjunction with the "we're all sinners" line that followers of Hagee's particular brand of so-called Christians read as "yes, we're all sinners but those homosexuals don't repent of their sin while the rest of us do which makes us better people". It is a coded statement that his followers will understand is not a retraction but appears to others to be a retraction.

Posted by: DKinMIA | Apr 29, 2008 11:58:12 AM

4. I'm right there with you, Flopass. I'm ready to start telling these religious nuts (the far right AND the moderates) that we should all start believing in the Wizard of Oz. It's just as plausible of a fairy tale to base your entire existence on and it has a much happier ending. Plus we'd all get a tax shelter if we started our own Oz religion. No one ever brings that up when they talk about the ridiculousness of organized religion. It's a business. End of story.

Posted by: nick | Apr 29, 2008 12:13:05 PM

5. for all the hilary lovers, hilary's super delegates used the word PANSY in front of her in a press conference and she said nothing.

she is such an advocate for gay rights isn't she?

Posted by: johnosahon | Apr 29, 2008 12:14:36 PM

6. ...that whosoever believeth this craptastic pandering should neither passeth "Go!," nor collecteth two hundred (New Testament) dollars.

Posted by: Princess Apostate | Apr 29, 2008 12:29:28 PM

7. We're all sinners, but apparently, some of us are more sinful than others.

So goes the religious right's Orwellian hypocriscy.

Posted by: John in CA | Apr 29, 2008 12:33:19 PM

8. Hagee's just doing the usual "Christian" thing of scurrying for cover now that his rock's been turned over. After all, hate is fine when discussed amongst friends; and God must be on his side, because if he wasn't then the SOB'd have been hit by a bolt of lightning, by now. So here's his offering of a non-apology-apology in hopes you'll just go away and let him keep preaching his filth to his congregation and allow St. John to be anointed -- excuse me, get elected without further ado and all will be right with the world, once more.

While I believe in God and accept Christ as my savior, it's scum like this who've lead me to despise organized religion. I see no difference between Hagee and the ayatollahs in Iran or the mullahs in Saudi Arabia or the pope or Fred Phelps or any other religious fanatic who's out to force the world to see things his way. They're devils, all.

The one positive thing about this mess is, at least he doesn't just attack gays; he goes after Catholics, Liberals and Jane Fonda, too.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | Apr 29, 2008 1:39:51 PM

9. YAYYY KYLE!!!

Awesome comment, and couldn't have been better said. You've expressed my thoughts precisely...

I was just gonna say that it's time to phone in another hex request to the witchbian death coven that took care of Falwell. LOL.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Apr 29, 2008 1:57:04 PM

10. Damn, I'm a forgetful bitch today...

"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves."

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Apr 29, 2008 2:00:54 PM

11. Andy,

you don't have to like McCain but let's not be dishonest in our statements.

McCain didn't say that the controversy about Hagee was nonsense, he said that Hagee's blaming of Katrina on gays was nonsense.

There's a difference. McCain was actually agreeing with us.

Posted by: Timothy | Apr 29, 2008 2:31:49 PM

12. For those that aren't familiar with the extreme nuttery of John Hagee here is a better video that really examines his views, his "church" and John's McCain's getting in bed with "agents of intolerance" that he once disavowed.

Posted by: Ouisa | Apr 29, 2008 3:42:13 PM

13. You are weak people. You can't protect yourselves,maybe you should die. Take charge of you're fuckin lives! Say I'm not dealing with this bullshit anymore. Fuck them. Since aids didn't work. May I ask what else is in there sleve. Fuck you faggots. I let no man beat me up. no man. No Fucking Government either. We don't have oespring. We are not beholden to others. Only land and goods are we beholden to. Time to discard all and start our reign to power.
    Or be a bunch of pussies, looking for a crumb. Weak Dicks!

Posted by: look queers | Apr 29, 2008 3:45:56 PM

14. And another video from Bill Moyer's journal on John Hagee, who is calling for a pre-emptive strike against Iran. The same John Hagee who's endorsement John McCain's happily accepted.

Posted by: Ouisa | Apr 29, 2008 3:47:17 PM

15. Seriously if gay people really had the power to cause a major hurricane does anyone really believe that these religious nut cases would still be with us?

Posted by: James | Apr 29, 2008 7:00:40 PM

16. All high profile republicans know these people are nuts. But they too know that the religious right represents their loyal base. McCain is simply trying to do some damage control so he can broaden his appeal, just as he did when he sought Hagee's endorsement in the first place. There is nothing new here folks!

Now "Gays" in favor of McCain that is newsworthy!

Posted by: Rafael | Apr 30, 2008 12:23:12 AM

17. Gays in favor of McCain?
    Nonsense!
    I've got nothing more to say.
    Nonsense!
    I've got nothing more to say.
    Nonsense!
    I've got nothing more to say.

Posted by: Timothy | Apr 30, 2008 9:29:24 AM

18. Damn it! If you have to retract something, THINK before you open your damn big smutty mouth! If you don't THINK about the consequences of your beliefs, whatever the hell they are, then don't stick your nose in it. I wish I was Hagee's mother. I'd throw him a damn big lightning bolt from Heaven, which he ain't gonna see anyway. Useless turd.

Posted by: AaronJ | Apr 30, 2008 5:10:53 PM