Luke MacFarlane | Matthew Rhys | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Big Gay Moment on Brothers and Sisters

Brothersisters

One of two big gay moments from last night's Brothers and Sisters (SPOILER warning), AFTER THE JUMP...

Screw Pete Burns.

Comments

1. I am looking forward to seeing a gay wedding on TV. Anyone know if this is the first one?

Posted by: crispy | May 5, 2008 9:39:07 AM

2. I don't know what the "first" gay wedding on TV was, but Roseanne's boss got married to his long-time partner on "Roseanne".

Posted by: Funbud | May 5, 2008 9:55:59 AM

3. Awww... that's so sweet. :)

Posted by: Chris M | May 5, 2008 9:57:55 AM

4. A nearly perfect episode. So good to see the characters grow and to have them portrayed by such fine actors. Cried throughout the entire last scene. Lost it completely when Kevin went down on one knee to propose and Scotty "clutched the pearls" and said "Yes".

Posted by: rudy | May 5, 2008 10:11:31 AM

5. I totally was bawling my eyes out at the end of that episode...

LOVE IT.

Posted by: Jon | May 5, 2008 10:18:23 AM

6. So this is the music nerd in me, but what song is that playing in the background?

Posted by: CLEMSONAJ | May 5, 2008 10:25:39 AM

7. WOW, just WOW!

I'm SICK that I missed this episode.

That clip just made a sloppy mess out of this Mississippi redneck. I can't wait for the husband to get home to see it. The words he used hold so true in our relationship so I REALLY lost it when he said that he even loved the things he hated about him. My husband said something very similar in his proposal to me and it is the ONE line that I can remember WORD FOR WORD from that day.

Is there anywhere where I might be able to see the whole episode?

Posted by: Zeke | May 5, 2008 10:35:04 AM

8. Zeke, Go to abc.com. (Google "Brothers & Sisters". They have already posted the entire episode. I have watched it twice already. Enjoy Bubba!

Posted by: rudy | May 5, 2008 10:46:18 AM

9. Zeke, ABC streams the full episodes at their website.

Posted by: crispy | May 5, 2008 10:47:34 AM

10. To Zeke:

You can watch full episodes of Brothers and Sisters on abc.com every Monday.

Posted by: Alan Jones | May 5, 2008 10:47:47 AM

11. Okay, I'm really glad we have a mainstream, popular, primetime "drama" on tv that portrays gay people well and with dignity, not purely reducing us to stereotypes and actually giving us interesting lives. That's wonderful.

But, that doesn't change the fact that Brothers and Sisters is pure cheese, and not the good, well-aged French kind. Cheese of the American thin-sliced 100% processed variety - the kind that tastes as bland as it looks.

Posted by: Ryan | May 5, 2008 10:47:47 AM

12. Zeke ABC's site allows you to view episodes of its shows on their web. go to

Posted by: socalten | May 5, 2008 10:50:23 AM

13. I think Northern Exposure had the first gay wedding.

Posted by: Patrick | May 5, 2008 10:53:26 AM

14. To ClemsonAJ:

The song is called Warm Whispers by Missy Higgins.

Posted by: Steve | May 5, 2008 11:02:36 AM

15. Yes, it was a great scene and a good episode. It put that ridiculous Desperate Housewives to shame. That was the most disgusting display of stereotyping I've seen in a while. I felt like I was watching a bad 70's sitcom.

Marc Cherry clearly doesn't like himself.

Posted by: realitythink | May 5, 2008 11:02:39 AM

16. I thought the episode, and particularly the last scene was amazing.

If out is only going to focus on entertainment for the Out 50, then Greg Berlanti did deserve to be the only gay guy on the cover.

Posted by: Dan B | May 5, 2008 11:07:48 AM

17. OMG that was the cutest scene EVER. I wonder if I can start watching the show from now on or if I'll be completely lost in the story line. Anyone care to give a quick recap of what newcomers should know?

Posted by: Butter | May 5, 2008 11:27:10 AM

18. Thanks for the clip. I'll start watching B/S again. I thought it - along with Desperate Housewives and House - had "jumped the shark". The writing talent in Hollywood is pretty thin.

Posted by: Jack Scribe | May 5, 2008 11:28:29 AM

19. That big sucking sound you hear are the collective asses of the Right Wingnuts tightening up at once!! The best part of this scene is that all the "NORMAL" folks in the show are so totally screwed up as you hear him describe the various characters in the show, while he shows how kind and sensitive and loving his partner is to come home too! Very interesting turn for TV..... Can't wait to see how they handle a "Gay Marriage on TV"!!

Posted by: alex | May 5, 2008 11:33:42 AM

20. That big sucking sound you hear are the collective asses of the Right Wingnuts tightening up at once!! The best part of this scene is that all the "NORMAL" folks in the show are so totally screwed up as you hear him describe the various characters in the show, while he shows how kind and sensitive and loving his partner is to come home too! Very interesting turn for TV..... Can't wait to see how they handle a "Gay Marriage on TV"!!

Posted by: alex | May 5, 2008 11:34:31 AM

21. So cute and so happy there is a realistic gay couple on tv.

Posted by: shychiguy28 | May 5, 2008 11:36:02 AM

22. That big sucking sound you hear are the collective asses of the Right Wingnuts tightening up at once!! The best part of this scene is that all the "NORMAL" folks in the show are so totally screwed up as you hear him describe the various characters in the show, while he shows how kind and sensitive and loving his partner is to come home too! Very interesting turn for TV..... Can't wait to see how they handle a "Gay Marriage on TV"!!

Posted by: alex | May 5, 2008 11:36:07 AM

23. While indeed the big kiss was interesting, the conversation between Kevin and Saul moments before was extraordinary. Saul reveals that he is homosexual and asks the question of how he can deal with that at such an advanced age. The last ten minutes of Brothers and Sisters was brilliant. It’s a show that is often laughable in its excess drama (there is no such thing as a quiet reaction). Greg Berlanti get more interesting by the minute. Eli Stone has become a fascinating ride into a spiritual landscape, while B&S, has touched on (finally) some gay subjects with remarkable humanity and depth.

Posted by: randy | May 5, 2008 11:50:44 AM

24. i have watched this show from the begining. it is in my oinion one of the best ever. this scene had me, as usual, in tears. i love this show. it always seems to renew my faith in people after a long hard week. but after this scene it had me longing for wht these wo men shared. honesty, compassion, and love. something gay or straight, we all need exercise.

Posted by: thomas e oneal | May 5, 2008 12:12:18 PM

25. Luke MacFarlane is adorable.

Posted by: peterparker | May 5, 2008 12:41:25 PM