Gay Marriage | Great Britain | News | Pete Burns

BigGayDeal.com

'Dead or Alive' Singer Pete Burns: Gays too Predatory for Marriage

Peteburns

Former Dead or Alive singer Pete Burns has split with his partner Michael Simpson 10 months after entering into a civil partnership, and he's bitter, very bitter.

Pete_burnsBurns slams gay relationships and civil partnerships to The Daily Mail, lamenting that heterosexual marriages are more genuine and longing for his former wife of 28 years, stylist Lynne Corlett.

According to the Mail, "he had been 'optimistic' about his civil partnership, but now he says: 'I learned the hard way. It's a total joke.' Burns accused Simpson, 40, of being unfaithful and admitted he felt disillusioned. Burns added that some gay couples had 'open marriages' where the partners could be unfaithful. He said: 'There's a lot of promiscuity in the gay community. I don't understand why they take that union. How low is their self-esteem? One's on Hampstead Heath meeting men, the other one's hiring rent boys. 'Surely marriage is throwing anchor and saying, 'This is where I'm staying, I've made my choice and this is all I want because I've been on the up and down escalator, through the revolving door and I want to stand still.' That's what I expected."

Added Burns: "I view marriage as a sacred institution. I think two men naturally are predators. Gay relationships are a commercial break, not a whole movie. The relationships I'm aware of, apart from one ... it's as though there's some kind of emotional inadequacy or narcissism, where they feel emotionally inadequate and need more validation, from either a father figure or a mirror image of themselves. "I'm not condemning it, I think it needs researching and help...Would I get married again? If somebody knocked me on the head with a nine-inch nail-studded plank or drugged me with benzodiazepine ... No, no, no."

Previously
'Dead or Alive' singer Pete Burns Sues After Disfiguring Lip Job [tr]
A Jack and Jill Party [tr]

Comments

1. Wow, someone is bitter. Trust me; I know plenty of heterosexual marriages that are open. Gay or straight, marriage is a choice that should not be entered into lightly. If it works, it works; if it doesn't get under another to get over it.

Posted by: Maxwell | May 5, 2008 8:05:35 AM

2. The Daily Mail is a conservative, homophobic newspaper, so I'm sure the editors were thrilled that Pete Burns decided to confirm all their prejudices for them. Particularly since it allows them to hold up their hands and say "Look, we're not being homophobic! It's coming from the lips of a real gay man!"

It's too bad Burns felt the need to slur every gay relationship just because his didn't work out. But of course, when a straight marriage fails, it's just because of the individuals involved - when a gay marriage fails, it must necessarily prove that no gay marriage can ever work. *rolls eyes*

Posted by: Sasha | May 5, 2008 8:12:43 AM

3. Always charming when some LGBT person throws the entire community under the bus because of their personal issues.

And given Ms. Burns gender presentation, this was hardly a marriage between "two men."

Posted by: qjersey | May 5, 2008 8:19:55 AM

4. Pete Burns has got narcissist written all over his botched plastic surgery face. So, of course, HIS failed marriage to a man is emblematic for all gay relationships. Solipsism, i believe is what they call it.

Besides, if you had to look at that train wreck of a face wouldn't you cheat? (Ad Hominem)

Posted by: mikedean | May 5, 2008 8:20:28 AM

5. I've been with my partner for 14 years. Our closest friends have been in relationships for 4, 12, 19, 25 and 30 years. If Burns took a look in the mirror, he'd see low self esteem.

Posted by: z | May 5, 2008 8:22:43 AM

6. Of course, it will be this freak the fishheads latch onto for their next anti-gay fundraiser. What an asshole.

Posted by: taodon | May 5, 2008 8:27:16 AM

7. Oh please. If anyone takes this circus side-show freak seriously, we're all doomed - gay and straight. Makes you wonder how much money they threw his way to get this "scoop". Perhaps his chin needs a little sanding maintenance.

Posted by: Brad | May 5, 2008 8:29:50 AM

8. Low self-esteem is epitomized when one needs to have massive plastic surgery to "fix" what you don't like about yourself, whether that's a woman who wants bigger boobs or a "man" who clearly doesn't want to be one. Good luck Pete, but the joke is on you. Don't tear the rest of us down because you're unhappy and made poor choices.

Posted by: Bryan | May 5, 2008 8:52:57 AM

9. His marriage failed and it's everyone else's fault.

Posted by: FASTLAD | May 5, 2008 9:06:13 AM

10. Wow, this sucks too.
    WTF is up w/ England this weekend?
    Isn't there any good news coming from the UK?

Posted by: tjc | May 5, 2008 9:08:29 AM

11. Why have all the homosexuals that I revered growing up turned into such bitter queens? Pete Burns, Boy George, Rupert Everett and even George Michael once epitomized the defiant spirit to which I aspired... now they just seem tired and bitter. They should take a page from Sir Ian McKellen and learn to age gracefully.

Posted by: james | May 5, 2008 9:09:24 AM

12. Well most men are natural predators. It's what makes a man!(Dna, planting the seed, etc.) Even the hetero ones! They might be married for years have kids, but they still look and THINK about the next conquest.
    The key is who acts on their impulses and if everyone is honest up front then you know what you are getting into!
    Honesty and sometimes an open relationship are what hold some couples together. If more hetero couples could look at each other and speak freely and honestly and in some cases have an open relationship, then I believe there would be far less divorces.
    Of course the men in a hetero relationship and maybe in some gay ones would not be able to handle not being the only stallion!

Posted by: bob | May 5, 2008 9:13:12 AM

13. Oh dear, and I was *so* wishing to propose to Mr. Burns. Whatever shall I do?

Posted by: David D. | May 5, 2008 9:23:18 AM

14. What Pete really needs to do is find himself a brand new lover
    Somebody with eyes for him who doesn't notice all the others
    What he really needs to do is find himself a brand new lover
    Somebody with eyes for him who doesn't notice all the others...

Seriously, what a cunt. I won't be buying tickets for the Regeneration tour in the States this summer. Now, what to do with all that DOA vinyl?

Posted by: John in Manhattan | May 5, 2008 9:31:19 AM

15. Qjersey

"Always charming when some LGBT person throws the entire community under the bus because of their personal issues."

EXACTLY!

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | May 5, 2008 9:39:12 AM

16. Jesus, WTF did he do to himself? He was a pretty decent looking guy, back in the day (at least as I recall, I was only 11 when they were big and I thought dudes in glossy lipstick and eyeliner were double-hot). What a disaster!

Posted by: NaughtyLola | May 5, 2008 9:43:31 AM

17. isn't this the same guy who took a dump on stage?

*eyeroll*

Posted by: Alex | May 5, 2008 9:54:24 AM

18. Speak for yourself..Freakanne!

Posted by: TodD | May 5, 2008 10:29:17 AM

19. "Would I get married again? If somebody knocked me on the head with a nine-inch nail-studded plank or drugged me with benzodiazepine ... No, no, no."

Interesting fantasies, Ms. Burns, but I'm certain Trent Reznor is not into you.

Posted by: Christopher | May 5, 2008 10:56:22 AM

20. So, is anyone really taking this Beverly Hills science project seriously? Some past-it pop star with an asshole for a husband is saying that because his marriage didn't work, all gay marriages won't work. Honestly, who thinks this guy is a role model for anything?

Posted by: Uh-huh | May 5, 2008 10:58:41 AM

21. It is nice to hear a gay man break ranks on the subject that must never be discussed in anything but a positive light - even if it is the motor-mouthed car crash that is Pete Burns - don't you think?

Posted by: Peter Rivendell | May 5, 2008 11:08:47 AM

22. Peter,

I wish he had broken rank in a way that inspired debate. To say gay marriage won't work because some people aren't fit for monogamous relationships is just erroneous. There are many people in successful open relationships and many people in successful monogamous ones.

My biggest fear about gay marriage is that there will be a push to accept monogamy as the defacto arrangement. One of the things I love about being gay is that it challenge a lot of what I felt constitutes a successful relationship and they can come in many different flavors, not just the 2.5 kids, a dog and a picket fence variety.

Posted by: Alex | May 5, 2008 11:47:37 AM

23. It seems to me that this particular couple went into the relationship with very different expectations. Poor communication and the lack of real candor with each other are their own fault as human beings and not as gay men. Lots of straight couples do the very same thing. I also detect a bit of self-hatred in what Burns is saying. Unlike him I know many same-sex couples, gay and lesbian, who have been together for decades.

Posted by: Brad | May 5, 2008 11:48:02 AM

24. Sounds like someone needs a bit of psychotherapy.

Posted by: peterparker | May 5, 2008 12:09:58 PM

25. "...it's as if there's some sort of emotional inadequacy or narcissism..."

Yes. Yes, it certainly would appear that way, Pete Burns.

Posted by: thin mint | May 5, 2008 12:53:43 PM