James McGreevey | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jim McGreevey Says He is Too Poor To Pay Alimony

Mcgreevey

Former NJ Governor Jim McGreevey took the stand yesterday in his divorce trial against wife Dina. McGreevey, who is scheduled to take the stand again today, told the courtroom that he'll only earn $48,000 this year and that his partner Mark O'Donnell, is supporting him. He says he can pay child support, but has no money for alimony, according to the Star-Ledger:

"On the stand, McGreevey said a sofa, a loveseat and an oriental rug bought during a going out of business sale at Huffman Koos are his only furnishings in the $1.3 million Plainfield home he shares with partner Mark O'Donnell. O'Donnell is paying all of McGreevey's living expenses, his legal bills, even an $11,000 debt to the Internal Revenue Service. He owes $204,720 to O'Donnell, a debt McGreevey swears he will repay. McGreevey said he drives a leased car, lives in a house that is paid for by O'Donnell and the only thing he can afford on his own is the $2,500 a month in temporary support the court ordered him to pay his estranged wife Dina Matos McGreevey. McGreevey said he is so strapped for cash, he has not paid a dime this year to his first wife Kari Schutz to support his teenage daughter Morag. He made $119,000 on the sale of his two-bedroom condominium in Woodbridge, but all that money is gone, spent on bills and trust funds for his two girls, Morag and Jacqueline. He got a $250,000 advance for his book, 'The Confession,' but that money was spent on legal fees, taxes, and to the ghost writer of the book. 'By virtue of this case, I have been financially crippled,' McGreevey testified yesterday."

An AP clip of his testimony in which he mentions his life in the closet and why he wanted to write his book, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What a sleaze.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | May 15, 2008 8:35:46 AM

2. That man is A MESS!

Posted by: virgoboy | May 15, 2008 8:47:57 AM

3. Either O'Donnell is crazy mad in love with this dope or they've got some serious co-dependency issues...or maybe there's some magic dick going on.

No, no, I have to keep reminding myself, there's no such thing as magic dick. There's no such thing as magic dick. There's no such thing as magic dick.

And I thought I was having problems. Shiat.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 15, 2008 8:59:34 AM

4. Each year my sympathy wanes for gay guys who get married. And this sleaze-bag did it twice! Boo-fucking-hoo.

Posted by: Shane | May 15, 2008 9:03:02 AM

5. I read McGreevy's autobiography and it sort of humanized him to me...that being said, he's an absolute mess, a horrible coward and a total opportunistic scumbag. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever, and feel sorry for his parter/sugar daddy.

However, THAT being said, his second wife is equally opportunistic, taking every chance she can get to bask in the limelight and be the center of attention. She makes me sick as well.

His poor daughters.

Posted by: another matt | May 15, 2008 9:15:25 AM

6. How long was he married to the gold digger?

I certainly understand that he should be responsible for child support but I don't know what her basis is for demanding alimony. It IS 2008 after all.

Posted by: Zeke | May 15, 2008 10:49:13 AM

7. That's what he gets for "playing straight." Now he's getting played. Gay or straight, he is a mess.

Posted by: Jack | May 15, 2008 12:18:06 PM

8. Right. He's broke. So is OJ. Funny how the rich are out of money when there is a judgement against them. Yet they're still in million dollar homes.

Posted by: dc8stretch | May 15, 2008 12:49:20 PM

9. One good movie/TV deal and they'll both be set for life.

Posted by: anon | May 15, 2008 1:09:08 PM

10. So he's a mess, huh? Messy like a fox! That guy's got huge earning potential. He'll be raking in the dough hand over fist as soon as he gets his ex-wife out of his hair. Also, he's nerdy-hot, and I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers. I love you, Gov. McGreevey!

Posted by: Anon Y. Mous | May 15, 2008 2:45:13 PM

11. So he's a mess, huh? Messy like a fox! That guy's got huge earning potential. He'll be raking in the dough hand over fist as soon as he gets his ex-wife out of his hair. Also, he's nerdy-hot, and I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers. I love you, Gov. McGreevey!

Posted by: Anon Y. Mous | May 15, 2008 2:46:36 PM

12. 'One good movie/TV deal and they'll both be set for life.'

Who would want to read this pigs book or see a film on his hypocritical so called life. I can't wait until his 15 minutes are up, for his bitch ex wife as well. She was carting her sorry ass around the local stations when Spitzer got caught with the hooker.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 15, 2008 6:46:29 PM

13. It looks like Ann Heche is going to court making the same claim.

What's worse, she's claiming that she's too poor to pay CHILD SUPPORT for her daughter.

Posted by: Zeke | May 16, 2008 12:00:43 AM

14. Shane, please recognize that everyone's circumstances are different. I married 20 years ago, and it took many years to realize it was a mistake, for many reasons, some of which were not obvious at the start.

Being a NJ resident and closely following the McGreevy saga, I decided to do something about it not because I was caught in a compromising situation like that douche bag but because it was the right thing to do. But believe me, it was not and is not easy.

I would kick him out of bed for being a lying sack of shit. He does indeed have incredible earnings potential, but any settlement can be revisited later as I understand it. At least he doesn't seem to be turning his back on his kids. Who knows for sure?

And yes, I think she's milking this for everything it's worth. Including the publicity.

Posted by: Ted | May 16, 2008 12:16:00 AM

15. He's hot as hell to me, and I get why his partner is helping him out. I also agree with Zeke. It's 2008. His ex wife should get a JOB, or let her write a book and see if anyone buys it. He has a responsibility to the kids, not his ex.

Posted by: Lukey | May 16, 2008 4:08:41 AM