Madonna Opens Candy Shop at Roseland in NYC

Mdolla3

GuestbloggerWe sent Towleroad correspondent Josh Helmin to cover M Dolla‘s gig last night in New York. Here’s his report, along with some YouTube clips we discovered that may vanish quickly. So get a taste quick. Josh is one half of Josh & Josh are Rich and Famous, and co-produces our Towleroad TV segments. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get her Madgesty on Towleroad TV – yet – but we’ll have another segment of that coming up soon.

Last night Madonna delivered a six-song, 32-minute high-intensity performance at the Roseland Ballroom in midtown Manhattan, in front of an estimated crowd of 2,200. Many of those attending camped out before sunrise for a chance at the free tickets handed out that day. (The rest of the lucky attendees won entrance through Z100, Verizon, or Madonna’s online fan club.)

A few minutes after ten o’clock Madonna appeared onstage on a throne, blonde hair lightly curly and clad in black pants and top, to deafening screams from the audience. Those standing on main floor crushed forward to get closer to her Madgesty, and thus my already good spot turned into a position about twenty-feet from the Material Girl herself.

After the first two songs, both from her new album Hard Candy (out this week), the audience went crazy as the first strains of “4 Minutes to Save The World” began. When Justin Timberlake popped on stage moments later the response was so vigorous that it was briefly impossible to hear the song. Madonna and Justin’s choreography had them grinding against each other and pacing the stage while singing their #1 iTunes hit.

After Justin left the stage Madonna slung her guitar across her chest and addressed the crowd. “This next song is for all of you that I saw last night sleeping on the sidewalks waiting to get tickets,” she said, before launching into a hard rock remix of “Hung Up.” Throughout the night she seemed ready to debut her new guitar skills, choosing to play her instrument during three of the night’s songs, and she looked far more comfortable doing so than in previous performances.

What perhaps made the performance so enjoyable was the clear impression that Madonna herself was having a great time. The love coming from the audience was unmistakable. She also looked amazing, especially considering that her 50th birthday is coming up in August. Her arms were, as usual, perfect ellipses of rock hard muscle (better than mine are ever going to be, I can tell you that much). And, to her credit, she also sang live. She certainly had backing vocals, but the effect of singing live was appreciated, especially considering the number of performers today who choose to lip synch, even when the choreography isn’t half as vigorous as Madonna’s.

The one snafu of the evening for Madonna came during the middle of “Hung Up” during which she briefly began singing the wrong words. She tried to cover for a second, and then looked behind her momentarily, before figuring out where the song was and jumping right back in without losing her composure. It was a quick error, and seemed to be forgiven immediately.

Mdolla1

Madonna’s Roseland Set List

Candy Shop | Miles Away | 4 Minutes

Hung Up | Give It 2 Me | Music (Fedde Le Grand Mix)

Clips via Madgetribe.

Comments

1. Jeff says

The CD is ok. Not great, but there are a couple of decent tracks on it. What I’ve found rather annoying of late is that the majority of pictures taken for this release have Madonna with legs widely spread as if to suggest that she is nothing but a whore and all she has to offer is an old snatch.

Lady, you can do better than that.

2. Matty says

I’m not a fan of hers, but that’s nice that she gave her legion of Maloonies something for free, especially in this time when musical artists (including herself) are charging an arm and a leg to attend a concert.

3. Nick says

I was an consistent fan of hers from the beginning through the Music album (I dropped out when that didn’t speak to me).

Does anyone else ever talk about how flat her voice is in concert? Those YouTube clips were really difficult to listen to and I don’t even have a trained ear. I know what some will say… the rigorous dance moves, yadda, yadda. Don’t use that excuse on your Broadway singer/dancer/actor friends. People have been singing (on key) and dancing up a storm for centuries.

4. Nick says

and Justin stole that scarf look which he sported last night and in the 4 Minutes video from the film, Once.

Glen Hansard wants his scarf back, Justin. You belong in a sling.

5. michael says

I was there and the show was awesome! Madonna looked amazing, and really did seem to be enjoying hersef. I’m sure someone’s head will roll over that “hung up” fuckup though. Haha!

6. JR says

Nick,

The Justin comment was HILARIOUS!!! You made my morning. Thanks.

Agreed, her voice sounded not so good (even BAD)in those clips. But trust me, as we all know she ain’t the best singer, but the way something is recorded and played back has A LOT to do with how it sounds. I’m sure she didn’t sound AS bad if you were actually at the show.

7. Chad says

True, there are some songs on the album that are awful, and the pictures of her with her legs spread open at her age are kinda questionable, but no one else could get away with it at that age (but this IS Madonna we’re talking about). It does though make you wonder how much longer she’s gonna try to milk to whole sex thing.

Is she gonna be 80 with her tits shriveled to the size of raisins still singing about how sweet her coochie is? That’s kinda gross. And SO true that as gay men, how ironic is it that WE of all people should comment on the “freshness of someone’s snatch” —hilarious! I don’t even want to know about snatch personally. (lol)

Still, her music makes me happy, and I still love her. Looks like it was a great concert.

8. sean says

her live voice has never been her strength and i totally forgive her for that. at least she actually tries by singing live, and i mean come on shes not on american idol or anything. shes a great “recording” artist and an AMAZING entertainer with a feisty personality! plus shes fuckin 50! do yo thang m-dolla

p.s. the swig of champagne was priceless totally in character for this reinvention

9. nikko says

Madonna’s a great performer, but oh her voice live is just so…flat,barely there. Ok, it’s just a bad,whiny voice that she can barely carry a note. I often cringe when she tries to sing live…I don’t want to, but she has a nasal hoarseness to her singing style that makes me blush when I hear/ see her attempt to sing in concert. But yeah, I love her showmanship.

10. Paul R says

The YouTube clips are going nowhere. It was all a promo. And some of the clips very clearly could not have been shot by a single individual!

11. Pheel says

Nate > So you should be thankful for a song like “Papa don’t preach” without which you would have ended up in an incinerator ^^