Education | Gay Rights | Ireland | News | Ohio

Suspended UT Administrator Crystal Dixon Fired, Will Sue

Earlier this month, I posted about University of Toledo associate vice president of human resources Crystal Dixon, who was suspended after writing an article in the Toledo Free Press slamming gays. Late last week, UT decided to fire her. 13ABC interviewed Dixon on Friday, about an hour after she was let go, calling the decision a "lack of courageous leadership." She also says she's suing the university.

DixonSaid Dixon in the article, "As a Black woman ... I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual lifestyle are civil rights victims. I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a Black woman. Daily thousands of homosexuals make a life decision to leave the gay lifestyle."

She concluded: "My final and most important point. There is a divine order. God created human kind male and female (Genesis 1:27). God created humans with an inalienable right to choose. There are consequences for each of our choices, including those who violate God's divine order."

Said Dixon: "I have great faith. This is a far bigger picture than just Crystal Dixon....I have a wonderful, absolutely wonderful legal team. I have received hundreds of emails from across the country. Even received an email from Iceland, today. Basically encouraging me, basically telling me to stand strong...There are three issues - first of all, my right to free speech. Anyone has the freedom in this country to express their opinion as an individual. And secondly, clearly, religious discrimination, and also race discrimination at the very least."

As for what she wants from the university, Dixon said: "We're just going to see how this plays out."

UT administrator fired for speaking out [13abc]

Comments

1. Nor, it seems, can she wake up tomorrow and not be an asshole.

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2008 4:19:23 PM

2. Nor can she wake up tomorrow and not be IGNANT.

She's forever doomed because she so desperately needs to feel like a victim.

Posted by: Rey | May 12, 2008 4:22:05 PM

3. Race discrimination? Nice one, Crystal. As if there isn't enough true race discrimination in the world... you need to water-down your bogus suit by pretending you've been fired due to the color of your skin, rather than your oppressive, uninformed, and just plain stupid comments? You do a huge disservice to People of Color everywhere.

Just slink off to your Fundamentalist Church and sulk. God will comfort you. Better yet, move to Iceland--they seem to love you there...

Posted by: Nathan | May 12, 2008 4:24:17 PM

4. Of course she quotes the bible to back up her homophobia. Get some new material, honey. The book God somehow wrote is as much of a defense as bringing Santa's naughty and nice list into court.

Posted by: Marco | May 12, 2008 4:28:21 PM

5. Hopefully she'll send herself there by e-mail.

Posted by: David D. | May 12, 2008 4:28:23 PM

6. She is completely right. She has all the right in the world to spew vomit from her mouth and call it words... she also has the right to her religious freedom. Her employer also has the right to not employ her.

Posted by: Eric | May 12, 2008 4:28:25 PM

7. She wasn't fired for her comments. She was fired because her comments proved her to be so constitutionally stupid on a plethora of levels that there was no defending her.

I love when stupid people open their mouths and prove that their hate rhetoric is backed up by years and years of gross ignorance and as my grandmother would say, "just plain dumb."

You can't argue with a fool. But you can laugh at them.

Posted by: Bart | May 12, 2008 4:29:07 PM

8. Really? Gays are defecting every day, what does this naive woman possible have to offer a student. This is like Castro shipping out the fags(and convicts) in the early 80's as that was a symbol of capitalist decadence.

Posted by: Richard S | May 12, 2008 4:30:25 PM

9. How interesting that she pulls the old "I can't change my race" argument, but then immediately complains about religious discrimination.

You can change your religion, can't you? It happens all the time - much more successfully, I'd say, than people who "choose" to not act on homosexual feelings.

You can't have it both ways, lady....

Posted by: Yeek | May 12, 2008 4:32:14 PM

10. As hateful as the words in her article were, I do not believe the university should have suspended or fired her. I do believe they should have done a thorough accounting of her work at the university to determine whether or not she was discriminating against homosexuals in admissions to a public university. If so, then they have the right to fire her. So long as she was not acting on behalf of the university (and it does not appear that she was) then she should be free to express whatever hateful, horrible things she wishes to express.

Posted by: peterparker | May 12, 2008 4:41:33 PM

11. I know she is not trying to pull the race card. Now I will give her freedom of speech, but the race card. Homophobe please!!! I am a black gay man. Do not pull the race card with me.

Posted by: Max | May 12, 2008 4:46:14 PM

12. She's still speaking? I thought she'd know by now. Note to Dixon: Expressing your "opinions" is what got you into trouble in the first place!

Posted by: Shabaka | May 12, 2008 4:48:44 PM

13. You know, a lot of holy rollers used to be pure whores back in their youth (male & female). They either become so afraid of their vices that they're about to loose their minds; or they get old and afraid of dying, and so they turn to Jesus. Men aint been good to this broad. She tried, and so now she's bitter but oh, so holy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 12, 2008 4:56:52 PM

14. "Diversity, integrity and teamwork." Those three words are at the core of the University of Toledo's mission. Ms. Dixon proved, by her writing, that she is incapable of respecting the mission of the university. As a public university, the University of Toledo is not able to employee an executive who is so clearly intolerant of a minority.

There are plenty (too many) Christian schools that she can go work at.

Posted by: JT | May 12, 2008 4:59:12 PM

15. Gotta go with PeterParker here....Dixon certainly has an offensive pie hole, but doesn't appear to have broken any laws or dones anything to merit her dismissal.

Perhaps the U of Toledo lawyers have more evidence than the media reports indicate, but I'd wager they've got a major problem on their hands.

Posted by: DC Guy | May 12, 2008 5:08:00 PM

16. Sweetie you were not fired because you are black, a woman, or even over your religious beliefs, you were fired for being ignorant and an embarrassment to your employer!

Posted by: jzn | May 12, 2008 5:11:07 PM

17. Pfft. She says that shit, then complains about being discriminated against? Well then, go suffer for your art, honey. What would happen if any one of use strolled into work tommorow and said "hey, you can choose not to be black, the Bible mandates you should't exist" and NOT expect to be fired?

Good riddance. Once again, suffer, honey. I'm tired of being expected to be nice in these instances.

Posted by: Tony | May 12, 2008 5:16:16 PM

18. Yeah, she has the right to freedom of speech.

I just wish people who use that excuse would realize while you can say whatever you want, you also have to GROW UP and learn to deal with the consequences of what you say.

Posted by: The Avatar of Blue | May 12, 2008 5:16:29 PM

19. Good for UT (which is in my backyard). The University is moving in the right direction, having just merged with the Medical College of Ohio, they're figuring out how to apply the (greater) partner benefits to everyone in the merged University, and there are growing pains but I'm confident they're heading in the right direction. Hateful atmospheres are no place for learning.

Posted by: Scott B. | May 12, 2008 5:16:48 PM

20. I love how people like Crystal Dixon & Sally Kern use the Bible to voice their prejudices. You can find almost anything in the Bible to justify your prejudices. She/he who is lives by the Bible should abide by the Bible...

1 Timothy 2
    11-15
    Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing.

Posted by: CB | May 12, 2008 5:20:08 PM

21. @ PeterParker: I agree. If, as it appears, she wrote this article outside of her capacity within her employer's human resources department, and if her job performance was (and continues to be) free of fostering hiring discrimination, then she should retain her post.

Like it, or not, the First Amendment and due process applies to those with whom we disagree just as much as those with whom we agree.

Posted by: Mark | May 12, 2008 5:20:35 PM

22. I think we would be horrified if she were being fired for being gay and talking trash about religion, but she's religious talking trash about gays, so then it's okay according to everyone here to fire her. That doesn't strike me as consistent or fair. (Now you can't argue that both are bad because you are trashing her religion freely here.)

I think her problem from the UT perspective is that in her position as a spokesperson for UT she was putting the UT in a "bad light". That is, she was not properly separating her private views from her role as university spokesperson. Likewise, she has a duty to not embarrass her employer and its wisdom in hiring her or others through egregious private acts, such as when Eliot Spitzer hired a prostitute. So, she can't get fired for her beliefs, whatever they might be, but because she put those beliefs in conflict with her job. There's jokes about baptists owning all the best whorehouses. Vegetarians probably shouldn't work at slaughterhouses either, so she should realize that she doesn't really belong at UT.

Posted by: anon | May 12, 2008 5:29:04 PM

23. Considering her intolerance/hatred of gay folks I wouldn't be surprised if a few of her coworkers/subordinates will have a few valuable insights to share with the jury.
    What a sad woman.

Posted by: SFshawn | May 12, 2008 5:42:00 PM

24. Hmmm. This isn't good. I agree with PeterParker. Personally, I want to scream at the woman, but she does have the right to say such things away from her job. However, I would love to point out to her that most people that leave homosexuality leave all sexuality. They simply become asexual or chronic liars.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 12, 2008 5:47:09 PM

25. It is not possible for someone who has stated her bigotry to work effectively in human resources. Although the comments she made were not part of her job, UT would have to automtically hire and promote every gay applicant or be sued out of existence by everyone who could prove based on Ms. Dixon's published opinion that it was impossible for them to be treated fairly as an applicant at the school. She has also proven herself to be a repellent and stupid individual with whom many members of the UT community will be very uncomfortable. Sure, she'll sue, but she made litigation inevitable when she wrote a piece that stated her moral objection to doing her job.

What makes me angry is that people will agree with her contention that she is being fired in part because of her race. I'm actually suprised that no one at Towleroad has yet to make the ridiculous suggestion that a white person would have made these comments with impunity.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | May 12, 2008 5:48:05 PM