Deval Patrick | I'm Gay | Massachusetts | News

Daughter of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick: I'm Gay

Katherine Patrick, the 18-year-old daughter of Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick, has come out publicly in an interview with New England gay paper Bay Windows.

PatrickSaid Katherine: "As private of an issue as it is, we’ve sort of had to come to terms with the fact that we are a public family and there you give a part of yourself away...And we also ... wanted people to know that it’s not only something that we accept, but it’s something that we’re very proud of. It’s a great aspect of our lives and there’s nothing about it that is shameful or that we would want to hide. ... And I’ll always remember the first thing my dad did was, [he] wrapped me in a bear hug and said, ’Well, we love you no matter what.’""

Bay Windows reports: "Patrick is the first elected official in the country to win statewide office after having campaigned on support for marriage equality. He spent a significant amount of political capital on the defeat of the marriage amendment, meeting privately with more than a dozen wavering legislators, strategizing with legislative leaders and publicly discussing why he supported marriage equality and why he thought the amendment should be defeated. But he says that the notion that one of his daughters could be gay didn’t factor into his advocacy on the issue. 'I don’t think we thought about who they loved - more that they knew what love was and that they would have love in their lives,' he explains. 'You know, it’s interesting even just thinking about having this interview. Katherine and Diane and I and her aunt and Sarah were all talking about, you know, would we give an interview to announce one of our kids was straight? It’s just not about the public ... it’s just about making sure that they had the fullness of their personality and their humanity...Fault me for not getting it,' the governor adds. Then he reveals when he got the first inkling that his daughter might be gay: 'I think when Katherine started to memorize all the episodes of The L Word, there was some hint that maybe she was sending us.'"

Watch a clip of Patrick speaking to the crowd on July 14, 2007, following the failure of the proposed amendment banning gay marriage, AFTER THE JUMP...

With love and pride [bay windows]

Comments

1. "Patrick is the first elected official in the country to win statewide office after having campaigned on support for marriage equality".

Technically, he was one of the first - Eliot Spitzer also campaigned for equal marriage rights. Spitzer and Patrick both won election in November 2006.

Of course, Patrick didn't frequent whores, which is also a point worth mentioning.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 12, 2008 9:25:11 AM

2. The comment about memorizing 'The L Word' episodes made me laugh.

Hmmmm. Maybe he should be added to the list of potential VP candidates.....wouldn't that shake things up?

Posted by: Chris | Jun 12, 2008 9:42:15 AM

3. I love Governor Patrick, and his daughter.

Posted by: Javier | Jun 12, 2008 9:52:46 AM

4. Where's JOHNNY LANE, CHURCHILL-Y, MATT (one of the matts), and "the brains of the outfit)OSCAR-- when you need them? Must be a Klan convention somewhere (wonder how they let Oscar join...skin lightener, I guess).

Patrick's a poster man for American Fatherhood. And I think he's sexier than Obama...but, of course, I like beef.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 12, 2008 9:55:49 AM

5. Deval Patrick also ran on a pledge to lower property taxes - instead, mine are going up 16% next year because the cities and towns of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts are so strapped for cash.

Posted by: BEB | Jun 12, 2008 10:23:04 AM

6. Proud of them both!

And Derrick, I agree - that is one fine brother.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Jun 12, 2008 10:27:27 AM

7. Derrick, we know where you like the beef, tee hee. I would be proud to have him as a father, great attitude. Times are a changin', takes time but equality will win out.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jun 12, 2008 10:47:45 AM

8. What a dad.
    and daddy.

Posted by: aboutanyboy | Jun 12, 2008 11:06:23 AM

9. What a sweet family!
    Yeah Deval can be my "daddy" n e time!!

Posted by: shabaka | Jun 12, 2008 11:10:09 AM

10. Class act.

Deval was already on my list of heroes as of today he just got bumped up a few spots.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 12, 2008 11:24:45 AM

11. I'm a Republican in Mass. (one of about 37) and disagree with pretty much every fiscal proposal he's put forth and I don't think the state is doing well under his watch. (Although it's nowhere near as bad as some of the neighboring states.)

That being said, I've had the opportunity to spend time with him professionally, and although we disagree on many things (nearly all of them money-related), he is a really nice guy, very intelligent, down-to-eath, open-minded and you know exactly where he stands on issues, which is all very refreshing in an elected official.

It's also great to hear a story about a gay kid whose parents support her...I know it's not the case with everyone, and I know a lot of gay people in their late teens/twenties wouldn't find this kind of support, but I think my generation is much more fortunate than generations before us because we have parents who have at least heard of homosexuality and know or know of at least one gay person. It's too bad not everyone has this support system.

Posted by: Another Matt | Jun 12, 2008 11:57:28 AM

12. While a warm and fuzzy piece, it's not really news. We wish them well.

How does an Obama/Deval ticket sound?

Posted by: anon | Jun 12, 2008 12:29:27 PM

13. Not as good as a Clinton/Deval ticket.

Posted by: paul | Jun 12, 2008 12:43:03 PM

14. Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the second black President.

Posted by: Miles | Jun 12, 2008 1:21:48 PM

15. Everyone's property taxes, and energy taxes and all those other hidden taxes are higher because the federal government is spending 12 Billion dollars a month to occupy Iraq. You can't blame anybody but the Republicans.

If you disagree with a Democrat about money and taxes it's because your either stupid, greedy or both.

I've met Deval a couple of times, use to live in his neighborhood, he's a genuine person and very smart. She's lucky to have the parents she has.

Posted by: realitythink | Jun 12, 2008 1:35:10 PM

16. Ok - let's be real, Deval as a person is a good guy - as a governor, well, not so great....

Posted by: holdonasecond | Jun 12, 2008 6:47:12 PM