Advertising | Food & Drink | Great Britain | News | Wayne Besen

Heinz Gayonnaise-Gate Update

Besen

As of this posting, 6,346 people had signed the petition to reinstate the Heinz Deli Mayo ad.

Yesterday, the UK gay rights group Stonewall launched a boycott of Heinz products.

Truth Wins Out's Wayne Besen and the American Family Association's Randy Sharp debated the ad on CNN's Headline News. Dan Hill, a business marketing analyst, chimed in as well.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Mr. Sharp says that 70,000 Americans complained to Heinz about the ad, WHICH WAS NOT SHOWING ON AMERICAN T.V.

I hope our Brit cousins are grateful that we Americans are such wonderful moral police that we are willing to shoot down an ad on THEIR television. Way to go, USA!

Posted by: Bill | Jun 26, 2008 9:24:13 AM

2. Wayne Besen is a sharp, articulate advocate for gay causes. I'm glad he's on our side. Darned good looking, too.

Posted by: sam | Jun 26, 2008 9:36:38 AM

3. This pisses me off...like most of America does these days. I took the ad as the Deli-man was representing the "mom"...not literally...ie: making sure the kids eat well etc....Im so sick of America and its Homophobic religious freaks.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 26, 2008 10:00:24 AM

4. Why did no one talk about the fact that the "punchline" of the ad is that the mayo is so authentic that it's like having a NYC deli guy in your own home?

I don't think this is about gay relationships at all - and it seems that both the conservative and the liberal sides are missing this point.

PS - Call me a cynic, but this almost feels like a brilliant PR stunt for Heinz. How much free press are they getting now? :)

Posted by: FlipX | Jun 26, 2008 10:06:56 AM

5. I have missed something in this whole debate but when I watched the ad, I didn't get any sense it was even about a gay relationship. To me, the point of the ad was the joke that the Heinz mayo guy was standing in for mom, i.e. mom makes lunches so good that they could have come fresh from the deli.

Did everyone on the panel, as well as those who called in, miss that point in their zeal to argue over the pros & cons of gay visibility on tv?

Posted by: RJ | Jun 26, 2008 10:21:57 AM

6. I have missed something in this whole debate but when I watched the ad, I didn't get any sense it was even about a gay relationship. To me, the point of the ad was the joke that the Heinz mayo guy was standing in for mom, i.e. mom makes lunches so good that they could have come fresh from the deli.

Posted by: RJ | Jun 26, 2008 10:23:03 AM

7. I understand what you're saying, FLIPX, and you're correct that the adults in the advert are not a gay couple - it's just that the Deli Mayo has the effect of making the mum like a real deli shop worker.

BUT... the problem is not with the 200 simple-minded bigots that misread the advert and wrote in, it is with Heinz allowing these people to effectively censor their ad campaign and Heinz apologising for any offence caused by having two men kissing on screen (no matter what the context was). That is what is unacceptable.

And it is absolutely ridiculous, especially when you consider the number of adverts - here in the UK at least - that are full of quite gratuitous sexual/erotic imagery and behaviour.

Posted by: adalard | Jun 26, 2008 10:29:00 AM

8. It took me two viewings before realizing that Heinz mayo turns the average housewife into a deli guy.

This is a tricky one. Absolutely the commercial should be pulled. Not because of the kiss. Because it's a lousy commercial. And it sounds as though that's exactly why Heinz is pulling it.

Posted by: Bernie | Jun 26, 2008 10:36:44 AM

9. This whole controversy is just as ridiculous as the 1 million Christians praying against gay marriage. Surely, we have bigger things to worry about than gay mayonnaise?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 26, 2008 10:45:43 AM

10. After watching that, I'm dumbfounded that neither side seemed to get the joke of the ad.

I guess, if nothing else, it proved what Heinz said about failing in its attempt at humor.

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Jun 26, 2008 1:16:48 PM

11. I think people really missed the point of this ad! The New York Deli guy was simply a visual way of showing that these new Heinz products will make your home made sandwiches taste as good as the real New York Deli ones - it was funny!

The only homosexual relationship going on in this ad was the one that the complainers made in their heads! What next, no santa coz he has kids sitting on his knee or the Easter Bunny is banned coz he is pink?

I hate the way people in the UK try to tell me how to live my life and now we've got people from the US complaining when it really isn't any of their bloody business!

Posted by: Jamie | Jun 26, 2008 2:21:36 PM

12. From the gay perspective, I'm all for a commercial affirming the lives of gay men and women, but I don't believe this commercial was that. It seemed contrived and not believable. It was like watching Adam Sandler and Kevin James kiss in "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry."

It was aimed at British audiences and probably, as others have said above, meant to imply you had the deli guy in the kitchen, not trying to portray a gay couple. I was surprised to learn that the complaints came from the U.S., an audience for whom it was not intended.

Posted by: Stan | Jun 26, 2008 2:23:01 PM

13. Just wanted to update the number of signatures on the petition:
    7952 and i was number 7904! Yay!

Posted by: steven | Jun 26, 2008 5:27:35 PM

14. Just wanted to update the number of signatures on the petition:
    7952 and i was number 7904! Yay!

Posted by: steven | Jun 26, 2008 5:28:36 PM

15. "I don't think this is about gay relationships at all "

Can't get anything past you, flipx!

It's a ADVERTISEMENT! That said, the problem with suggesting it's NOT really a gay relationship is that the ad shows A SAME-SEX KISS thus making it MORE GAY than most shows that contain 'gay' characters. 'Gay' isn't a noun - it's a verb.

Posted by: UnionStayshyn | Jun 28, 2008 2:27:29 PM