California | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Inside City Hall: Del and Phyllis Cut the Cake

Delphyllis_2

Here's a clip from SF City Hall immediately following the first marriage. It's a beautiful thing.

Newsom: "Today, Marriage as an institution has been strengthened."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

In case you missed it...
Same-Sex Marriage Legal in California [tr]
The First Same-Sex Couple to Marry in L.A. [tr]
5:01 PM [tr]

Comments

1. Next: Me and Gavin. All are welcome.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 17, 2008 7:55:07 AM

2. Truly a wonderful thing!

My partner and I (of 18 years) are getting married at Grace Cathedral in August. Can't wait!

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 17, 2008 8:06:32 AM

3. I'm so glad they lived to see this day. Talk about gay rights pioneers. They were activists when you could still be arrested just for being in a gay bar, or asking someone out, or walking home together.If I'm not mistaken, the Daughters of Bilitis, which they both helped found in the 1950s, was the first lesbian organization in the United States, and it helped a lot of women come to terms with their identities.

Posted by: Clay | Jun 17, 2008 8:09:35 AM

4. I hope Gavin Newsom seeks higher office over the next few years. He probably can't jump from SF mayor right into president, but let's hope he goes on to governor and then on to president. His willingness to take a stand for what's right is what this country needs.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 17, 2008 8:13:47 AM

5. Congratulations Del and Phyllis-God Bless You and your MARRIAGE. Same to you, Anonymous (?) I hope it's everything you hoped for.

My heart is with all the couples in California and those traveling there. You're all true pioneers!!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jun 17, 2008 8:17:24 AM

6. but where are the gay blacks, hispanics, and asians?... all i ever see is pictures of gay white people and it seems upper class gay white people getting married... strange..

Posted by: the queen | Jun 17, 2008 9:21:58 AM

7. I teared up watching this...I never really cared before or took the time to really understand the differences of "unions" and "marriage". And I still couldn't give you the legal definition but somehow, now, since the ruling a month ago anything less than marriage seems terribly unequal.

Posted by: WillnDurhamNC | Jun 17, 2008 9:35:47 AM

8. I am so happy for them! The tide is turning in this country. Congratulations to all the couples making this huge step.

My husband and I are celebrating our second anniversary today after being married in Canada, so this is an extra special day for us. Eight years together and stronger than ever.

Posted by: ray | Jun 17, 2008 9:57:21 AM

9. Phyllis and Del were pioneers for lesbian rights. Without them, where would we be today? I am thrilled they lived to see this day. And Newsom rocks!!!!

Posted by: rhea | Jun 17, 2008 9:58:22 AM

10. The Queen: Watching the bay area news it appears they were over in Oakland getting married. Large mix of every race,gender.
    Obama could learn a few leadership skills from Gavin.
    Historic day.

Posted by: SFshawn | Jun 17, 2008 12:52:22 PM

11. That is so beautiful! Congratulations to these true pioneers.

Posted by: Jesse Archer | Jun 17, 2008 11:16:00 PM