Comments

1. Clay says

I’m so glad they lived to see this day. Talk about gay rights pioneers. They were activists when you could still be arrested just for being in a gay bar, or asking someone out, or walking home together.If I’m not mistaken, the Daughters of Bilitis, which they both helped found in the 1950s, was the first lesbian organization in the United States, and it helped a lot of women come to terms with their identities.

2. says

I hope Gavin Newsom seeks higher office over the next few years. He probably can’t jump from SF mayor right into president, but let’s hope he goes on to governor and then on to president. His willingness to take a stand for what’s right is what this country needs.

3. JerzeeMike says

Congratulations Del and Phyllis-God Bless You and your MARRIAGE. Same to you, Anonymous (?) I hope it’s everything you hoped for.

My heart is with all the couples in California and those traveling there. You’re all true pioneers!!

4. the queen says

but where are the gay blacks, hispanics, and asians?… all i ever see is pictures of gay white people and it seems upper class gay white people getting married… strange..

5. WillnDurhamNC says

I teared up watching this…I never really cared before or took the time to really understand the differences of “unions” and “marriage”. And I still couldn’t give you the legal definition but somehow, now, since the ruling a month ago anything less than marriage seems terribly unequal.

6. says

I am so happy for them! The tide is turning in this country. Congratulations to all the couples making this huge step.

My husband and I are celebrating our second anniversary today after being married in Canada, so this is an extra special day for us. Eight years together and stronger than ever.

7. says

The Queen: Watching the bay area news it appears they were over in Oakland getting married. Large mix of every race,gender.
    Obama could learn a few leadership skills from Gavin.
    Historic day.