News | Northern Ireland

BigGayDeal.com

Northern Irish MP Iris Robinson Compares Gays to Murderers

Robinson

Yesterday I posted an update on Northern Ireland DUP MP Iris Robinson, the UK's very own Sally Kern, who said that gays can be cured of their homosexuality and advised them to seek therapy.

The remarks prompted political party Sinn Fein to call for her resignation and for the activist group Outrage! to call on people to start outing members of Robinson's Democratic Unionist party.

Like Kern, she seems to wallow in the attention her bigotry brings her.

Robinson is now comparing gay people to murderers!

Watch her interview with the BBC, AFTER THE JUMP...

previously
Sinn Fein Calls on MP to Resign Over "Ex-Gay" Remarks [tr]

Comments

1. Can't ya just feel the luv of O'Jebus?

...or is that McJebus?

It's sad to see that America isn't the exclusive land of the rabidly homophobic Christianists.

As bad as we have it here with Bush and Company, at the very least we don't have Laura spouting off this kind of dark ages ignorance and hatefulness.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 10, 2008 3:57:04 PM

2. She's a mess!

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jun 10, 2008 3:57:43 PM

3. Yup, her husband is gay. OR - her dad is gay, or her son. Women do not just go-a-thinkin' this without a reason. Not that it's an excuse, but an explanation. Usually always True. Remember Anita Bryant? - Her husband, 'turns out: Big fucked up Mo. Very embarrassing for her. Hoover? (God.) McCarthy, Roy Cohn?? ((Good God.)) Got a problem with the Queers? YOU have a PERSONAL PROBLEM about BEING QUEER. Simple projection. Unfortunately that same personality type is frequently attracted to politics. Must be quite humorous to any other species studying us.

Posted by: James | Jun 10, 2008 4:11:42 PM

4. Now that we know even gays and murderers can be redeemed, what about arrogant ignorant bitches? Less likely.

I'm not sure why she thinks that her take on God's word matters to anyone but herself, but extreme narcissism and self-righteousness usually go hand-in-hand. Free speech comes with consequences; it's time for her colleagues to ostracize this hateful (love the sinner, my ass) fool.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 10, 2008 4:13:44 PM

5. Shitfaced mongrel. Bitter Bettie needs to go somewhere and find herself.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 10, 2008 4:18:23 PM

6. I'm sure Anita Bryant has a cot in her garage for her.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 10, 2008 4:28:32 PM

7. On Saturday night, I murdered a pitcher of Margaritas.

Does that count?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 10, 2008 4:32:30 PM

8. Her beliefs are not the mainstream in Ireland anymore, and I say this as an Irishman. The country is growing tremendously in economic terms, and acceptance of gays is surging ahead. (My deeply pious and observant Catholic great-aunt, for example, has jettisoned her religion in the wake of the child molestation scandal, and she, born in 1922, totally accepts my homosexuality.)

These stupid outbursts are like vaccines, in my opinion. They provoke an "immune response" in society and we all benefit from hearing them -- so we can refute and mock and laugh at it all.

Don't worry guys and gals, we aren't Jamaica!

Posted by: Liam | Jun 10, 2008 4:34:30 PM

9. "IRIS and SALLY"....hmm sounds like a BBC comedy about 2 doubty looking housewives who hold public ofcs,each Hide behind thier Bible with thier blatant homophobia, though they are from different sides of the "pond"...who finally meet & come together to CURE Homo-sex-uals where-ever and whenever possible, all in the name of God of course...

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 10, 2008 4:40:47 PM

10. The funniest thing is the incoherent switching back and forth between psychiatric, religious, and criminal language.

Posted by: thin mint | Jun 10, 2008 4:45:25 PM

11. English occupied northern Ireland won’t be free of scum like the DUP leaders until socialist and Irish nationalist parties like Sinn Féin (whose name translates from the Gaelic as "We Ourselves") capture state power.

http://sinnfeinonline.com/ for info on SF

http://www.anphoblacht.com/ SF newspaper

Then SF can invite sows like this and other DUP swine to go home to England. The conditions that GLBT folk face in the English occupied part of Ireland are worse because of the example provided by the brutal treatment of the Irish by the century’s long English military occupation and colonialists in the DUP. (In the same way the long tradition of lynching and violence against African American, Native Americans and Latinos in the US created conditions that makes it all that more likely that homophobic bigots will turn to violence.)

www.ncavp.org For stats on violence in the us

Posted by: Bill Perdue, RainbowRED | Jun 10, 2008 4:46:41 PM

12. In the spirit of her comment, there is nothing wrong with Iris Robinson that a well placed grenade couldn't cure.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 10, 2008 4:53:20 PM

13. Excellent comment, Liam. We can all look on the bright side. Gays and lesbians are advancing toward equality and the Iris Robinsons/Sally Kerns of the world don't like it one bit. Comparing gay folks to murderers is extreme but these folks are left with few options. Desperate people make desperate statements.

Speak out Iris. Please, grant more television interviews. Print up 100,000 t-shirts decrying homosexuality and drop them from a helicopter throughout the land. You're working wonders for gay rights with every absurd word that comes out of your mouth.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jun 10, 2008 5:02:40 PM

14. LOL

peterparker

Shame on you

Shame on me for laughing

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jun 10, 2008 5:06:16 PM

15. "Am I suppose to be quiet because I'm married to Peter?" Yes, you are, if you really believe the word of god. You have no right or business speaking out about anything. Your only purpose is to serve your husband and procreate. I also hope he has nothing to do with you when you're menstruating. Or are you a pick and choose Christian? I'll believe this from column A and these two things from column B, etc. Hypocrite bitch. I am so tired of these delusional people being allowed to use their belief in mythological creatures to influence public opinion. Religionists are crazy people. The more religious the more insane.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 10, 2008 5:20:52 PM

16. @JIMMYBOYO...you thought I was joking?

Just kidding! just kidding!...glad I could make you laugh.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 10, 2008 6:26:10 PM

17. :-)

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jun 10, 2008 6:33:14 PM

18. Gentlemen, Bill Perdue, who just posted above, without comment from the rest of you following him, is far more dangerous than this lady. You realizing that that fanatic is basically calling for ethnic cleansing. This women, and the Protestants of Northern Ireland, have been there for generations, almost as long as say Albanians in Serbia, whom we went to war to protect.
    His ideas are rejected by Sinn Fein by the way, it does not call for the removal of Irish Protestants from Ulster to England. His ideas are truely repulsive. I wonder if he is in fact Irish, since the majority of Irish in Ulster, Catholic and Protestant alike, are happy that such views are now in the minority and are more often voiced by the ersatz Irish of the US.
    Any call for ethnic cleansing must be resisted.
    Oh, I am Catholic by the way.

Posted by: Puddy Katz | Jun 10, 2008 7:00:15 PM

19. puddy

Bill purdue usualy goes on and on.

I can only answer for myself, but I generaly ignore him. A ton of people probably ignore me as well, but the point is that many probably do not pay attention to Bill's rants.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jun 10, 2008 8:22:14 PM

20. I live in Northern Ireland (thankfully i'm planning my escape) and this woman is a freakin whack bag....Right on Peter Parker...I'd gladly plant that grenade up her icy vag

Posted by: Bobular | Jun 10, 2008 8:45:48 PM

21. LIAM, your comment about the surge of gay advancement in Ireland is certainly true about the Republic of Ireland but not at all true about Northern Ireland.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 10, 2008 8:46:51 PM

22. "..the point is that many probably do not pay attention to Bill's rants."

I know I don't.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 10, 2008 8:55:48 PM

23. Puddy Katz says "Any call for ethnic cleansing must be resisted."

No Shit, dummy. But what I said was "Then SF can invite sows like this and other DUP swine to go home to England." Then the Irish can, in the words of the Sinn Féin program, work for "the establishment of a new Ireland based on sustainable social and economic development; genuine democracy, participation, equality and justice at all levels of the economy and society; and a lasting and meaningful peace with unity of purpose and action."

But, if you’re really interested in ending ethnic cleansing then call for the arrest of the DUP leadership. And every Brit soldier involved in Bloody Sunday. And every member of the UDF. They murdered thousands during the Troubles to continue the colonist’s apartheid scheme. And the Brit secret police who bombed Dublin and Monaghan. And insist that they be turned over to Irish courts for trial and punishment. And while you’re at it that insist the Brits and the US get out of Iraq and end their genocide.

Puddy , I don't give a shit if you're a catholic; being superstitious is nothing to be proud of. What I do question though is why you bother to defend the DUP bigots and their English masters. Are you some kind of Brit as well as believing in things that go bump in the night? You sure sound like a Brit.

Jimmyboyo, perhaps it's best if you do ignore me. If you read some of my ‘rants’ you'd probably catch on to the fact that the GLBT left and the antiwar movement are planning to reactivate ourselves so that when Obama gets elected we can begin our damage control immediately. We don’t worry because Obama’s destined to become a pathetic loser like Nixon and LBJ; we’ll go all out to end the war working with antiwar GI’s and Iraqi workers. And we’ll push non stop for same sex marriage, a hate crimes and a hate speech laws and for the original ENDA.

I’d invite you to join us but I cant't believe that apologists for the Democratic (sic) Parties war, bigotry and union busting policies like yourself would be interested.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jun 10, 2008 9:33:12 PM

24. LOL Bill Perdue, you are beyond delusional (and weren't you in "Breakfast on Pluto"? LOL). Yap yap yap. The British were horrible and discriminatory and whatever. But that's behind us. Plus, Catholics weren't saints either (I'm talking about the assholes on both sides who beat up innocents, intimidated neighborhoods, engaged in petty crime and drug trafficking, you name it.)

Why does the extreme left continue to frolic in a self-constructed fantasyland? Seriously, stop meddling in real people's lives, inflicting pain and stirring up hate, and go fight Lord Voldemort with Harry Potter or something. Most Northern Irish prefer democracy and peace to this idiotic, masturbatory violent crap.

Posted by: Fred | Jun 10, 2008 10:01:58 PM

25. Oddly enough from here across the Big Pond it is rather comforting to see others have the same problems we do, that of batshit politicians.

For her ilk it's nothing to do with religion or what she thinks her supporters want, but it's all about her her her, and what she doesn't have (dick dick dick,) because some gay guy has it. Personal politics. Unfortunately everywhere.

Posted by: James | Jun 10, 2008 10:27:10 PM