Anglican church | Barack Obama | Berlin | Christopher Ciccone | Colorado | David Paterson | Gay Marriage | George W. Bush | Jake Gyllenhaal | Madonna | Margaret Cho | Mario Testino | Mark Wahlberg | New York | News | Tom Cruise | Washington | Wisconsin

News: Sean Penn, Berlin, Coral, Jake Gyllenhaal, Wisconsin

road.jpg Is Bush blocking Obama speech at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate?

Gyllenhairroad.jpg Jake gets a mane.

road.jpg No brainer: Guess what they're working on a sequel for...

road.jpg Not a surprise: Tanzania to oppose ordination of women and gay bishops in Anglican church.

road.jpg Same-sex Wisconsin couples who marry in California could face prison if they return to their home state: "When Dick Myers heard that California was going to start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, he and his partner of nearly 13 years considered traveling there to get married. That is until Myers and his partner, Steve Brondino, learned of an obscure state law that makes it a crime for Wisconsin residents to enter into marriage in another state if the marriage would be prohibited here. The law imposes a penalty for those who enter into a marriage that's prohibited or declared void in Wisconsin of up to $10,000 and nine months in prison."

road.jpg Focus on the Family inciting trans panic in Colorado.

road.jpg Tacoma, Washington's county council refuses to go on record supporting gay pride event, spurs outcry by members: "I’m embarrassed. This is a sad, low day for the County Council, that we wouldn’t give you a chance to celebrate who you are and stand against discrimination of all forms."

Coralroad.jpg 25% of the world's corals are facing extinction.

road.jpg New York Governor Paterson to sign expanded domestic violence law: "The new law would make it possible for people in dating relationships, heterosexual or gay, to seek protection from abusers in family court. As it stands, New York has one of the narrowest domestic violence laws in the country, allowing for civil protection orders only against spouses or former spouses, blood relations or the other parent of an abused person’s child."

road.jpg Damn Yankees, with Cheyenne Jackson, Jane Krakowski, and Sean Hayes: a review.

road.jpg From the secret diaries of Mario Testino: "Shooting in LA for an issue of V Man I'm editing. The theme is "extreme". I've tried to do it around the extremes of how a male gets perceived today, in the sense that there is ambiguity: sometimes the butcher a man is, the queenier he can be. And sometimes the most feminine men can be the most masculine. I'm influenced by so many different things, though. That's good if you're in the fashion business. Because things change so much. You can't say "I like colour" because the day after tomorrow black and white is in and you're out. And I don't want to be out. I need to work. It's my livelihood. So I'm adaptable."

Markyroad.jpg He's still a traffic-stopper.

road.jpg Margaret Cho now performing wedding ceremonies: "Cho actually married two couples during the Bay Area's gay pride festivities, she announced last night at the opening of the Outfest film festival in downtown Los Angeles."

road.jpg Tom Cruise as the Village People.

road.jpg Gay Star Trek episode to be screened: "Last March, the team of fans behind Star Trek Phase II began producing 'Blood and Fire' a gay-themed script originally written for The Next Generation in 1988 by 'The Trouble With Tribbles' writer David Gerrold. The story would have included the franchise's first gay couple and dealt with a deadly disease that worked as an analogy to AIDS, but the episode never was filmed."

road.jpg Ciccone tell-all: "When Sean Penn was married to his sister, he made Christopher cut his thumb and then cut his own and merged them to become blood brothers. Penn approached him years later and asked him if he had AIDS."

Comments

1. New York takes two steps forward while Wisconsin possibly takes ten steps back. Federalism is a funny, funny thing.

I laughed at the Ciccone item at the bottom. Whether it's made up or not, it totally sounds like something Mr. Impulsive would do.

So my sense of humor is on the dark side. Sue me.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 11, 2008 2:41:26 PM

2. Isn't Marky Mark known to be a racist homophobe? Serious question.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 11, 2008 2:54:02 PM

3. Marky Mark Wahlberg is the poster boy for the stereotypical straight Boston Southie. So yeah, SOULMAN, he's probably a racist and a homophobe.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 11, 2008 3:00:02 PM

4. Isn't it becoming evident that Tom Cruise is insane, the latest victim of the Hollywood publicity machine? Who cares if he's gay? Who cares if he can act? Think about what the publicity machine and the studio bosses did to people like Rock Hudson, Montgomery Clift, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland and Liberace? The William Mann bio of Hepburn reports that Spencer Tracy was a drunk because he was bisexual. The trashy new volume of Hollywood Babylon spends several chapters rehashing Tom's reactions to the publicity machine. It's tiresome, but maybe he, and unfortunately Katie Holmes are victims. No, it can't be. Or can it?

Posted by: Pierce | Jul 11, 2008 3:14:19 PM

5. Wahlberg is rough white trade. He'll always make certain hearts beat faster.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 11, 2008 3:19:54 PM

6. he sure does it for me, miss derrick...

Posted by: the queen | Jul 11, 2008 3:25:02 PM

7. Me too Derrick. He reminds me of the guy I picked up last weekend in Ft Myers, I hid my wallet just to be safe.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jul 11, 2008 3:36:40 PM

8. I don't doubt the Bush part, but why the hell is Obama giving a speech at the Brandenburg Gate? To What End? First a Denver Stadium, then JFK's famous European stomping grounds, and then what next? I can only presume he'll be taking over Mass for the Pope at Vatican City. Gees, this is ridiculous.

Posted by: ozonedude | Jul 11, 2008 3:51:25 PM

9. i know what you mean davefromtampa, i always put my money in my shoes when i tricked with them...

Posted by: the queen | Jul 11, 2008 3:54:58 PM

10. Bush and the Republicans are terrified of half a million Europeans coming out to cheer Obama. They'd throw eggs at Bush.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 11, 2008 3:58:30 PM

11. Re:Penn/Ciccione
    Why would u bother to ask someone as opposed to getting tested, I lost what small amount of tolerance for Mr. Penn's brand of insanity I may have had. Sad

Posted by: Richard S | Jul 11, 2008 3:59:39 PM

12. Marky Mark is a traffic stopper? No he is a douche bag stopper.

Posted by: ggreen | Jul 11, 2008 4:20:37 PM

13. The whole Bush-Obama-Berlin thing is also discussed in Germany. The thing is that the mayor of Berlin, Wowereit (who is a very left social democrat and openly gay), told Obama that it would be okay for him to speak at the Brandenburger Gate.

Most people here think that Wowereit is just doing that to piss our very conservative chancellor Merkel off (who would of course prefer McCain).

After our laws Wowereit has the last word on this as the mayor of Berlin - if he wants Obabma there neither Bush nor Merkel nor McCain can do anything against it.

Posted by: SirJames | Jul 11, 2008 5:41:03 PM

14. When will the Ciccione memoir-excerpt memes die? I for one am over his talent-less attention-whore sideshow.

Posted by: FlipX | Jul 12, 2008 3:23:10 AM

15. To bush blocking Obama speech at Brandenburg Gate:
    No, Bush is not behind it. It's majorly a inner german debate. Wowereit, the gay Berlin Major, is in favor to get on the photo with him. Merkel, the Chancellor, against because against Wowereit and Brandenburg Gate is a historic site. many believe the senator is only interested in the photo op and think Germany shouldn't interfere in the US election. I'm with them. He may speak in front of Brandenburg gate, if he IS president.

Posted by: alex from Germany | Jul 12, 2008 5:12:40 AM