Al Reynolds, Jr. | Howard Bragman | I'm Not Gay | News

Howard Bragman on Al Reynolds' 'I'm Not Gay' Moment

Reynolds_bragman

It's odd to discuss a PR agent's marriage to his male partner and the dissolution of his client's (who continually denies that he's gay) marriage in the same post, but the two came together yesterday in an MSNBC interview.

Howard Bragman, who represents Al Reynolds, talked to MSNBC about the reasons behind the decision to post three interviews on YouTube yesterday in which Reynolds denies he is a 'homosexual' and discusses his marriage to Star Jones and his life passions.

Said Bragman of the decision to post the videos interview-style with a journalist: "It wasn't a hypothetical worry. It was a genuine worry. because so much of what has been written and covered by the mainstream media has been inaccurate and sensational that we wanted to tone it down while at the same time respecting journalism and asking the tough questions, so I think we reached a very good balance there."

In other marriage news, Bragman wed his longtime partner Chuck O'Donnell on Monday in a private ceremony officiated by West Hollywood mayor Jeffrey Prang. At the end of his MSNBC interview, he urged voters to vote against Proposition 8, the November ballot measure that would define marriage as between a man and a woman.

Congrats to Bragman and O'Donnell!

One another note via Outsports is that Bragman's client Isaiah Washington made a contribution to the fight against Prop. 8 in lieu of a wedding gift to his PR agent, which was a specific request Bragman made to all those who wished to offer their gifts and/or wishes.

I've clipped the entire MSNBC interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bragman

Comments

1. Congrats to Mr Bragman and Mr O'Donnell and many years of love and happiness to the two of them!!

I just hope this does not start another anti Isaiah Washington racist tirade from the peanut gallery here.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jul 17, 2008 12:50:12 PM

2. Why does Gay Al have a PR agent? I'm so sad we live in an age where people, who don't contribute anything to society, are made into celebrities.

Posted by: Messiah | Jul 17, 2008 12:50:51 PM

3. I have to agree with Messiah. I respect Andy's right to post whatever he likes, but I see nothing remotely interesting about Al Reynolds. If he hadn't married that idiot, none of us would know who he is. As for whether he's gay, I for one hope he isn't, and I wish the entire issue would go away.

It is moderately interesting that a gay PR agent represents such a diverse range of clients, as least in terms of views toward gays. But that's the zany world of Hollywood, I suppose, where opportunism abounds.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 17, 2008 1:14:59 PM

4. Who is the bigger douche here? The fag who stays in the closet, or the fag who enables him to (at a profit)?

Posted by: dc8stretch | Jul 17, 2008 1:16:18 PM

5. Congratulations to Mr's Bragman and O'Donnell.

Kudos to Mr. Washington.

And THANK GOD about Mr. Reynolds!!!

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 17, 2008 1:18:54 PM

6. Now that's good PR flack.

Using his own wedding as a means to demonstrate a client's "rehabilitation" and his queerness as a justification of proof for another client's straightness.

Posted by: what | Jul 17, 2008 1:39:49 PM

7. I want Howard Bragman to stop talking about marriage equality on television news programs! A few weeks ago Andy provided a clip from Showbiz Tonight in which Bragman debated some wingnut about marriage equality. Bragman repeated the Republican talking point "sanctity of marriage" saying that marriage is important to us because we want to "sanctify our relationships"! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!!!!!! We want marriage not to "sanctify" anything, but to secure the same legal rights available to every other American! Leave it to religions to decide what does and does not get "sanctified". Someone please tell Howard we are seeking the right to a civil marriage!

In today's clip, Bragman clumsily appeals to people to defeat the California initiative to define marriage as a relationship between one man and one woman by saying "...everybody should vote against the initiatives to support gay marriage in california too." WHAT?! He's just made an appeal to millions of people (who may not know which side of the issue he is on) to defeat marriage equality! I know the guy has cameras in his face and may therefore be a bit nervous but if he isn't up to the task, he should hand over the reins to someone who is...someone like Dan Savage who is eloquent, intelligent and convincing.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 17, 2008 1:41:18 PM

8. What I'm curious about is why someone as high powered behind the scenes as Bragman would represent Al Reynolds, who is famous, for...uh, well...marrying Star Jones?

And I have to agree with @DC8STRETCH, that I find it disconcerting that an out and proud gay man would help enable someone who's declarations seem a bit less than honorable. But who knows, maybe Al *really is* straight and this is all for naught.

Posted by: Derrick | Jul 17, 2008 1:43:55 PM

9. Well, PETERPARKER, you're right, some gay folks are not good spokespeople for anything. I could never be a good spokesperson for gay marriage rights. If I tried, some evil bitch from Towleroad would pop up out of nowhere saying, "Well, Derrick, where are you going to consummate your marriage? A public park?

"Aziz Muhammed Abdul Torres and I haven't decided yet, sanctimonious slut," I say with a dazzling newlywed smile.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 17, 2008 2:01:48 PM

10. What I find the most disconcerting (though not surprising) is that NBC appears to have given over its main story video screen to the complete non-story about some guy's divorce from a minor television "celebrity" while, relegated to the "crawl" below is what is doubtless a far more important item concerning nuclear negotiations with Iran.

O what a world, what a world!!

Posted by: Buster | Jul 17, 2008 2:02:08 PM

11. You gotta admit, "Bragman" is a great name for an agent.

Posted by: anon | Jul 17, 2008 2:08:58 PM

12. I'm not a homosexual. I am on the downlow however.

Posted by: dezboy | Jul 17, 2008 7:02:18 PM

13. The 'Al Reynolds Brand'??? WTF. LOL

I can't wait until the TV movie comes out, of course Star will be played by Tracy Morgan and Big Gay Al by Big Gay AL from South Park, if not in black face then maybe Chef is available since he left the show.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 17, 2008 8:25:47 PM

14. Yes, that was badly worded. ``Vote against the initiatives to support gay marriage in California.`` If I had seen this on Tv without the discussion here, I might well have guessed that he was homophobic, and even when mentioning his own marriage, he never once indicated that his new spouse was not female.
    If he wants to speak to this issue effectively, I would make two suggestions (in addition to more clearly worded sentences}...
    1} Take the opportunity to use the words that many Americans are not used to but need to get used to. Rather than just saying ``I did that (i.e. got married} last week,`` he should have said ``My husband and I have been married for just one week and we are so glad that California will now treat us as it treats all other citizens.`` America needs to hear gay men refering to their husbands and to hear men refering to their spouses using male pronouns. Otherwise, they either assume someone is married to a woman or that the relationship he has with a man is somehow ``different`` and lesser than other people`s relationships.

2} The other thing I would suggest is that everybody stop with the expression ``gay marriage.`` I don`t want the right to a ``gay marriage`` or to an ``inter racial marriage.`` I just want my marriage recognized under the law using the same terms used for everyone else. We should be discussing ``equal marriage rights`` or ``access to the same marriage rights as everyone else`` or ``the right to have my marriage recognized equally under the law.``

Asking for the right to a ``gay marriage`` makes it sound like we want some kind of new parallel sets of laws written just for us rather than wanting access to the same rights and responsibilities that everyone else already has.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 17, 2008 11:52:19 PM

15. Perhaps the most depressing thing about this story is the fact that some famous for absolutely nothing apparently makes enough money to be repped by a high-end LA flack like Bragman.

Posted by: doire415 | Jul 18, 2008 12:47:22 AM