Gay Adoption | Gay Parents | John McCain | News

John McCain Backtracks on Gay Adoption Remarks

John McCain has backtracked on a statement to the New York Times over the weekend on whether or not same-sex parents should be allowed to adopt children. Said McCain to the paper: "I think that we’ve proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no, I don’t believe in gay adoption."

Mccainfamily_2The remarks were criticized by PFLAG which responded with research to the contrary.

McCain campaign Director of Communications Jill Hazelbaker sent out the following clarification this afternoon:

"McCain could have been clearer in the interview in stating that his position on gay adoption is that it is a state issue, just as he made it clear in the interview that marriage is a state issue. He was not endorsing any federal legislation. McCain's expressed his personal preference for children to be raised by a mother and a father wherever possible. However, as an adoptive father himself, McCain believes children deserve loving and caring home environments, and he recognizes that there are many abandoned children who have yet to find homes. McCain believes that in those situations that caring parental figures are better for the child than the alternative."

Previously
PFLAG Responds to McCain Remarks on Gay Adoption [tr]
John McCain on Gay Adoption, Marriage, the Internet [tr]

Comments

1. there's no point trying to be intellectual about this. he's a fucking dick and joke.

Posted by: ian | Jul 15, 2008 4:11:32 PM

2. "...caring parental figures." Ick. What a bunch of crap. It's as if we're so repulsive, they can't even say our name.

Posted by: nick | Jul 15, 2008 4:21:01 PM

3. Why the fuck is everything a "state issue"?

It's McCain's rote robotic response to everything.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 15, 2008 4:21:48 PM

4. "Nobody speaks for me. I speak for me" - John McFlimFlam

I said it, and I mean it. Until a spokesman for the McCamPain says that I didn't say it. Or that I didn't mean it. Or that I meant something else.

McPenis = DickHead

Posted by: soithoni | Jul 15, 2008 4:24:26 PM

5. So the original bigoted statement is published in the NYT and trumpeted by fundies nationwide. Vote for McCain; he's against gay adoption! Then the backtracking statement is emailed by the campaign to PFLAG and to gay and gay-friendly blogs—and it circulates only among teh gehz. Vote for McCain; he's not entirely opposed to gay adoption!

And everybody's happy. Well played, Team McSame!

Posted by: 24play | Jul 15, 2008 4:25:27 PM

6. Once again, his campaign has to smooth over some crazy thing he's said. Who knows what he really believes. Does he?

Posted by: sam | Jul 15, 2008 4:29:04 PM

7. If individual states were left to do whatever they want, slaves would still be legal in the south. I have never understood why issues should be "left to the states to decide." Just another way for McCain to say he doesn't have the balls to take a stand on important issues.

Posted by: Alex | Jul 15, 2008 4:29:15 PM

8. Precisely, Nick. Nowhere do the words "gay" or "lesbian" much less "bisexual" or "transgendered" appear in this allaged "clarification."

You can find my two cents on the matter here --

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 15, 2008 4:30:15 PM

9. Alex, I agree completely!

Posted by: JP | Jul 15, 2008 4:31:39 PM

10. His statement infuriated me so much, to the point that I went to his Senate webpage and sent an email. I doubt if it will be read by anyone but at least I felt better after I wrote it. He and his ilk are the reason that I left the Republican party and switched to the Democratic party. That noise we hear is the sound of the McCain bus backing up and trying to go down a different route. I'm still undecided about voting this year but his statement sealed the fact that if I do vote it will not be for him.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 15, 2008 4:34:42 PM

11. Well, it's more clearly a cop-out, thanks for sharing, John. ("Caring parental figures"--so that's what you are, gay Moms and Dads--are preferable to complete abandonment. Vote McCain!) Obviously, his real position on all gay issues going into the election is to say as little as possible, and, when that fails, cozy up to the right wing anti-gay talking points, and when that fails, go for the all-purpose, "It is a state issue." Pathetic, as expected.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 15, 2008 4:37:25 PM

12. I'd like to start a Towleroad pool on how many self-identified gays in November exit polls will indicate they voted for McCain.

My guess: 19%

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jul 15, 2008 4:38:34 PM

13. That's so sweet. I'm so glad to hear that we're better than nothing. If ever so slightly.

Posted by: David D. | Jul 15, 2008 4:42:21 PM

14. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2008/07/15/dont-want-a-bent-one/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 15, 2008 4:58:20 PM

15. The "Straight Talk Express" is the only locomotive that runs backwards before derailing.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 15, 2008 5:03:59 PM

16. What a pussy.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 15, 2008 5:14:30 PM

17. Leftovers for the homos. Please, sir, may I have another?

Posted by: Louis | Jul 15, 2008 5:26:55 PM

18. It would seem that flip-flopping is the McCain way.

Here are another 61 flip-flops of dear John's:

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 15, 2008 5:35:01 PM

19. what a great guy, believing that each state should prohibit queer folks from parenting rather than the federal government. Cue the Log Cabinites saying, "See, he's our friend!" in 3...2...1...

Posted by: MAJeff | Jul 15, 2008 5:35:25 PM

20. follow-up... The Advocate has an article on gay-related McCain flip-flops:

Honestly, do I need to carry around a calendar to know what McCain's stance is on any given subject?

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 15, 2008 5:43:12 PM

21. When they start to "clarify" the candidates statements, or say that they "misspoke" or that they were "misinterpreted"...and this goes for McCain AND Obama...they really just start to piss me the fuck off. You're lying AND you're insulting my intelligence.

Posted by: paul | Jul 15, 2008 5:56:16 PM

22. i never gave him much thought, I don't care if Obama has the same exact view on gays I would rather him any day then this old Bush 3.0. This, though, makes me want to campaign against him. He is basically saying that after all the children are taken by the heterosexual couples that then it is ok to consider giving a kid to the gays. It retrospect he is saying that the kids that aren't worthy of heterosexual love have to be passed off to homosexual couples because they are only two fathers/mothers, not a father and a mother. What a complete idiot. Honestly I wouldn't weap a single tear if he died of a heart attack or other Jurassic related illness and I never wish death upon anyone.

Posted by: Angelmonster | Jul 15, 2008 6:26:25 PM

23. Great post about this over at The Political Carnival, with a wonderful comment:

"So it's okay for The Gays to adopt the kids that nobody else wants. And let's be clear, nobody else is interested in these kids because they have so many problems. These kids are the ones that need parents with the best skills and support. But you want to give these kids to gay people that you think are unfit to be parents.

Let's forget what that says about how you feel about gay poeple, John. What the f*** does that say about how you feel about children?"

Go read the entire article and comment:

Posted by: MAJ | Jul 15, 2008 6:27:29 PM

24. "I think that we’ve proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no, I don’t believe in gay adoption."
    ---------------
    In fact, when I got back from Nam I wanted my kids to have two Moms, so I started to bang Cindy Mc$lut. Two Moms are OK if they are being banged by a guy.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 15, 2008 6:30:46 PM

25. Is there really still a race for president going on? Between his computer incompetency,his obvious senility and his incredible stupidity being revealed DAILY no wonder Obama backers are excited. It's Obama's race to lose.

Posted by: ShawnSF | Jul 15, 2008 7:22:49 PM