John McCain Backtracks on Gay Adoption Remarks

John McCain has backtracked on a statement to the New York Times over the weekend on whether or not same-sex parents should be allowed to adopt children. Said McCain to the paper: “I think that we’ve proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no, I don’t believe in gay adoption.”

Mccainfamily_2The remarks were criticized by PFLAG which responded with research to the contrary.

McCain campaign Director of Communications Jill Hazelbaker sent out the following clarification this afternoon:

“McCain could have been clearer in the interview in stating that his position on gay adoption is that it is a state issue, just as he made it clear in the interview that marriage is a state issue. He was not endorsing any federal legislation. McCain’s expressed his personal preference for children to be raised by a mother and a father wherever possible. However, as an adoptive father himself, McCain believes children deserve loving and caring home environments, and he recognizes that there are many abandoned children who have yet to find homes. McCain believes that in those situations that caring parental figures are better for the child than the alternative.”

Previously
PFLAG Responds to McCain Remarks on Gay Adoption [tr]
John McCain on Gay Adoption, Marriage, the Internet [tr]

Comments

1. soithoni says

“Nobody speaks for me. I speak for me” – John McFlimFlam

I said it, and I mean it. Until a spokesman for the McCamPain says that I didn’t say it. Or that I didn’t mean it. Or that I meant something else.

McPenis = DickHead

2. 24play says

So the original bigoted statement is published in the NYT and trumpeted by fundies nationwide. Vote for McCain; he’s against gay adoption! Then the backtracking statement is emailed by the campaign to PFLAG and to gay and gay-friendly blogs—and it circulates only among teh gehz. Vote for McCain; he’s not entirely opposed to gay adoption!

And everybody’s happy. Well played, Team McSame!

3. Alex says

If individual states were left to do whatever they want, slaves would still be legal in the south. I have never understood why issues should be “left to the states to decide.” Just another way for McCain to say he doesn’t have the balls to take a stand on important issues.

4. Scott says

His statement infuriated me so much, to the point that I went to his Senate webpage and sent an email. I doubt if it will be read by anyone but at least I felt better after I wrote it. He and his ilk are the reason that I left the Republican party and switched to the Democratic party. That noise we hear is the sound of the McCain bus backing up and trying to go down a different route. I’m still undecided about voting this year but his statement sealed the fact that if I do vote it will not be for him.

5. says

Well, it’s more clearly a cop-out, thanks for sharing, John. (“Caring parental figures”–so that’s what you are, gay Moms and Dads–are preferable to complete abandonment. Vote McCain!) Obviously, his real position on all gay issues going into the election is to say as little as possible, and, when that fails, cozy up to the right wing anti-gay talking points, and when that fails, go for the all-purpose, “It is a state issue.” Pathetic, as expected.

6. Michael Bedwell says

I’d like to start a Towleroad pool on how many self-identified gays in November exit polls will indicate they voted for McCain.

My guess: 19%

7. MAJeff says

what a great guy, believing that each state should prohibit queer folks from parenting rather than the federal government. Cue the Log Cabinites saying, “See, he’s our friend!” in 3…2…1…

8. paul says

When they start to “clarify” the candidates statements, or say that they “misspoke” or that they were “misinterpreted”…and this goes for McCain AND Obama…they really just start to piss me the fuck off. You’re lying AND you’re insulting my intelligence.

9. Angelmonster says

i never gave him much thought, I don’t care if Obama has the same exact view on gays I would rather him any day then this old Bush 3.0. This, though, makes me want to campaign against him. He is basically saying that after all the children are taken by the heterosexual couples that then it is ok to consider giving a kid to the gays. It retrospect he is saying that the kids that aren’t worthy of heterosexual love have to be passed off to homosexual couples because they are only two fathers/mothers, not a father and a mother. What a complete idiot. Honestly I wouldn’t weap a single tear if he died of a heart attack or other Jurassic related illness and I never wish death upon anyone.

10. says

Great post about this over at The Political Carnival, with a wonderful comment:

“So it’s okay for The Gays to adopt the kids that nobody else wants. And let’s be clear, nobody else is interested in these kids because they have so many problems. These kids are the ones that need parents with the best skills and support. But you want to give these kids to gay people that you think are unfit to be parents.

Let’s forget what that says about how you feel about gay poeple, John. What the f*** does that say about how you feel about children?”

Go read the entire article and comment:

11. patrick nyc says

—————
    In fact, when I got back from Nam I wanted my kids to have two Moms, so I started to bang Cindy Mc$lut. Two Moms are OK if they are being banged by a guy.

12. says

Is there really still a race for president going on? Between his computer incompetency,his obvious senility and his incredible stupidity being revealed DAILY no wonder Obama backers are excited. It’s Obama’s race to lose.

13. says

Well, since Gay Families “do not count” in the upcoming census OR in the eyes of the federal government, then Gay Families are EXEMPT from paying all taxes.

Either include us or not, but do NOT expect a dime from us if you do not offer us the same protections that are offered to families with heterosexual parents.

14. Zeke says

In all these self-righteous proclamations about how male/female parents are so ideal and preferable to same sex parents let’s not forget that ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of the children who are in need of adoption/fostering are the product of MALE/FEMALE PARENTS regardless of the gender pairing or marital status of those who make the sacrifice to clean up these MALE/FEMALE PARENTS’ messes by providing THEIR children with the safe, secure and loving home that their MALE/FEMALE PARENTS couldn’t or WOULDN’T!

For those who have been wondering about where I’ve been, I’ve unfortunately had to resort to spending 100% of my free time working with Fairness for ALL Families to defeat the anti-family marriage amendment that will be on the ballot here in Florida come November.

We are already the only state that has a law making it illegal for gay people to adopt children. Because of this archaic, Anita Bryant inspired law, early next year I, my husband, and our son will be moving out of a state that we love and have called home for over twenty years. We discovered, just over a year ago when I had a near death experience, just how threatening this law is to families like ours; especially to the non-biological parent of a child (as is the case with my husband, who is the only other parent our son has ever known). I’ll give everything I’ve got to defeat this hateful amendment before we leave. I want to leave this state with my head held high with the knowledge that I did everything I could to keep it from taking yet another step backwards when it comes to the civil rights of GLBT individuals, couples and their families.

JIMMYBOYO, thanks for the kind words and the concern that you sent my way in a previous thread on this subject. I really cherish the friends I’ve made here at Towleroad; especially those who were there with my family through my health and family crisis a while back.

To answer your question, our son is my biological child but he is every bit as much the son of my husband as he is mine Unfortunately, Florida law says that they are legal strangers and under NO circumstance could he be adopted by the only other parent he has ever known. If I were to die our child would go to my parents (who only met our son when he was TEN YEARS OLD due to the fact that they refused to acknowledge my relationship or our family) or he would go into foster care. His papa would be LEGALLY BARRED from adopting him. Tell ME again Senator McCain about what YOU think is BEST for children? Tell me again anti-gay social conservatives about your “family values”? From where I sit your arguments just don’t add up.

I should be spending my time raising my son and taking care of my family (and reading/commenting on Towleroad!!!!) but instead I find myself taking WAY TOO MUCH time away from my son and family (and Towleroad) to fight for BASIC civil rights that other people take for granted.

Take care everyone. I hope to be back soon.

15. Michael says

Obviously McCain’s position on two parent families has evolved since he apparently didn’t feel that strongly when he dumped his first wife of 14 years. He and Carol, his first wife, had three children (two sons from her previous marriage that he adopted and a natural born daughter) when McCain began his affair with Barbie (oophs, I mean Cindy) thus resulting in a single parent home for his three children. So I guess it would be appropriate to ask the Senator how awful his own children have turned out since he obviously feels the success of raising a child is based on their need to have two parents yet he didn’t feel strongly enough to provide that “family unit” for them. Once again the straight talk express has become the double talk express.

16. Michael Bedwell says

Bless you, Ezekiel. BTW: there’s much to like about California. While far from perfect, you’d certainly face none of the legal limitations your immediate family does in Florida.

17. GregV says

I would love to have seen the interviewer challenge him, first with the scientific evidence that contradicts McCain`s claim, second, with the fact that gay couples ARE “two“ parents and thirdly, with a question about whether McCain`s kids, whose adopted father found a mistress young enough to be his daughter and then dumped his wife to marry her, fits his model.