Fashion Men | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Television

Neil Patrick Harris Casts a Gay Spell as Sesame Street's Shoe Fairy

Nphshoefairy

And by "gay" I mean "happy"...

If you thought Feist was cute, watch Neil Patrick Harris play a Shoe Fairy on the 39th season premiere of Sesame Street.

Watch it here.

Harris spoke to AfterElton about the role: "Not the shoe fairy – the fairy shoe person. It’s quite a different connotation. I was asked by Sesame Street to be a part of a song and I just leapt at the opportunity. Jim Henson was the only person I ever wrote a fan letter to as a kid and I’m a wild fan of puppets and the Henson Company in general. They wrote a song, wanted me to sing it. There are all these different mythical characters this season. Sandra Oh plays another type of fairy that Abby Cadabra creates and so we got to do this big musical number with puppets and dancing. It was a great, great afternoon. It’s one demographic that I have yet to win over."

He's casting his best spell:

Nphshoefairy2

Comments

1. And so it begins....what's next Neil? a bout as a hairdresser, oops, i mean hair engineer?

Posted by: Oh no | Jul 23, 2008 11:50:34 AM

2. Wow! Between this and the Feist number, this show is every bit as good as I remember from when I was a kid!

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Jul 23, 2008 11:56:48 AM

3. Neil Patrick Harris coming out of the closet as a gay man is a good thing and if he wants to be on Sesame Street, great.

The problem is all the disgusting and perverted things HIS CHARACTERS do in the movies and on his TV show. For that reason alone, he should not have anything to do with Sesame Street. Sesame Street is a show for little kids and shouldn't be associated with someone from the sleazy Harold and Kumar movies, both of which deserved an NC-17 rating.

Posted by: Not a good idea | Jul 23, 2008 12:03:38 PM

4. NPH is freakin' F A B U L O U S! I remember him as a precocious kid in Albuquerque. He's grown into a talented, out, and proud gay man whose mere presence advances the cause of human rights equality for gays. Bravo!

Posted by: rudy | Jul 23, 2008 12:09:58 PM

5. Oh yeah and Elizabeth Montgomery should have been burned at the stake because, you know, she was a witch. People get your heads out of your butts. These are characters not real people. Real and make believe know the difference. NPH go go that was beyond adorable!

Posted by: ggreen | Jul 23, 2008 12:12:27 PM

6. A day without NPH is like a day without sunshine.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 23, 2008 12:29:54 PM

7. I wish Neil were more str8 acting like us normal gays. An A&F baseball cap on him would be fabul... uh... terrific!

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jul 23, 2008 12:46:03 PM

8. I love this guy. Anyone see him in Rent? He was super. I would kill to have seen his performance as Toby in Sweeney Todd.

Posted by: DwH | Jul 23, 2008 12:50:07 PM

9. Circular Groin Fairy Shoe Rays! Sparkle-tastic!!

Posted by: AG | Jul 23, 2008 12:52:03 PM

10. You can see his performance as Toby as "Sweeney Todd in Concert" is out on DVD. He gets to sing "Not While I'm Around" -- one of Sondheim's loveliest songs. And he does so beautifully.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 23, 2008 1:02:25 PM

11. Not a Good Idea...you're right. It's really unfortunate Sesame Street and Harold and Kumar have the exact same demographic - pothead toddlers. I, for one, am outraged by this filth and will write PBS, demanding they cave to the whims of one's person's lame opinion.

Posted by: whatever | Jul 23, 2008 1:49:15 PM

12. Ummm if every adult on sesame street was held to a "squeeky clean" weather on their street or not there would be NO adults on the show just puppets and kids.

Posted by: Nobody | Jul 23, 2008 1:58:31 PM

13. I thought Sesame Street was an educational program. Not sure what the value of this was. All the more reason to prefer Wonder Showzen over Sesame...at least you can still learn from WS.

Posted by: paul | Jul 23, 2008 2:16:39 PM

14. Okay, I give up. I've finally been won over by Doogie Howser. He's just too adorable for words. I love his career choices.

Posted by: seattle mike | Jul 23, 2008 2:32:52 PM

15. NPH was adorable in Sweeny Todd!!! Get the concert DVD; it's worth adding to any musical libary. And speaking of Patti Lupone (who played Ms Lovett in that concert), they've got to immortalize her performance as Mama Rose on disc as well.

Posted by: Progression | Jul 23, 2008 3:35:06 PM

16. Not a Good Idea congrats. You posted the the most stupid thing I've seen here in a long time, in fact douche bag of the year.

Saw NPH at the Garden Monday, he is as hot in person as he is on screen.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 23, 2008 6:22:22 PM

17. NPH's Toby performance can be seen on YouTube here:

Posted by: RJ | Jul 23, 2008 9:17:26 PM

18. It's Abby Cadabby, not Abby Cadabra.

Posted by: jlynn | Jul 23, 2008 9:18:21 PM

19. @Paul

Maybe u should have watched more Sesame Street as a child(or even as an adult) b/c the obvious purpose was to teach kids how words that share vowels can be formed into rhymes. How was was that not apparent?

Posted by: Brandon | Jul 24, 2008 12:33:31 AM