Election 2008 | John McCain | News

Poll: 14% of LGBT Adults Favor McCain While 60% Favor Obama

This is a man who doesn't even know what the acronym LGBT stands for.

MccainHe also doesn't really believe in gay adoption, supports a ban on gays in the military, is worried if his clothing looks too gay, isn't sure if condoms stop the spread of HIV, thinks same-sex marriage ceremonies are okay as long as they're just pretend, and has promised right-wing religious groups that he'll start speaking out more vocally against LGBT causes.

Yet 14% of LGBT adults would still cast a vote for him over Barack Obama. Astonishing.

"Among LGBT adults, 60 percent favor Obama while 14 percent favor McCain. Three percent of LGBT adults favor Barr, while 1 percent choose Nader. Six percent choose 'other,' while 17 percent of all LGBT voters are not yet sure which candidate to support -- comparable to the general population. Among independents, Obama has a 12-point lead (38 percent to 26 percent), but one-quarter of independents are not sure, 4 percent would vote for Bob Barr and 3 percent for Ralph Nader. The findings also show that 90 percent of African-Americans are voting for Obama, as are six in 10 Latinos. Whites, however, are leaning towards McCain over Obama (40 percent versus 34 percent)."

Comments

1. LOG CABINOIDS UNITE!

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jul 22, 2008 10:34:42 AM

2. "Astonishing." Yeah, me too, I'm stunned. Is there a McCain supporter out there? ... I mean, really, who could explain what McCain's appeal is for a gay person? seriously, anyone out there? Anyone? Bueller?
    We've heard all the crap before, so please spare us the surge shit... just specifically for gay people, what has he got? I'm curious what you think.

Posted by: soithoni | Jul 22, 2008 10:36:26 AM

3. 14% - the true cost of meth abuse in the LGBT community.

Posted by: David D. | Jul 22, 2008 10:37:01 AM

4. Self hatred goes very deep, indeed.

Posted by: jeff | Jul 22, 2008 10:38:21 AM

5. It's hard to believe that ANYONE in their right mind would vote for Bush 3.0 let alone anyone in the LGBT community...

I guess there's more Log Cabiner's than I thought.

Yuck.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 22, 2008 10:38:55 AM

6. Unfortunately, there are a small number of GBLT people who would rather vote for a white Republican than a black Democrat. Typically they use the code work "experience" to explain why they would do so.

Posted by: Homer | Jul 22, 2008 10:43:17 AM

7. There are a lot of people out there who have the resources to order their lives by the status quo. Many of those people are more interested in protecting those resources from taxation than they are in advancing their status in society. Gay marriage for the affluent brings nothing they couldn't buy from a decent attorney and accountant. They certainly aren't going to serve in our military, and, if they want kids, they've got avenues to adoption not open to their less well off brethren.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jul 22, 2008 10:46:08 AM

8. I don't see how a statistically insignificant number is "astonishing".

14% to me reflects the simple fact that among large group samples you're almost never going to have unanimity. Which is reflective of this poll being taken in the US as opposed to North Korea.

Posted by: AERES | Jul 22, 2008 10:46:40 AM

9. I think it's really disgusting that anybody feels they have the right to tell me how to vote, especially just because I happen to be gay. I'm happily casting my vote for McCain come November. I've had friends that've given me ridiculously impassioned arguments in favor of Obama, pleading as to what I "must" do. I think it's more of an issue just how easily people are willing to demonize a person for their views or voting position when they so viciously react if they are likewise judged. You could come up with a long list of various links to stories that highlight that Obama's negatives. There are a lot of issues that are lot more important to my partner and I than whether or not we can get hitched.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 22, 2008 10:49:17 AM

10. Homer - if you're theory about "experience" being code for rascism is true, how would you explain a gay black man voting for McCain?

Simply put, the idea that someone comes to a different political conclusion doesn't make them rascist. It means they subjectively value different political qualities than you may.

To scream rascism every time someone votes against a black candidate is hugely oversimplified and ignorant.

Posted by: AERES | Jul 22, 2008 10:55:15 AM

11. I love how you broke it down for anyone with a clue to figure out why this man is not good for the gay community. But, the self loathing will cast their ballot for him, and, he is as incompetent as Bush, and, that speaks volumes.

But, people do have a choice and, if another dimwit who wants to set back equal rights is their candidate, more power for them, but, I sure hope they stop their complaints.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jul 22, 2008 10:56:11 AM

12. ...like what josh? i'm curious and open to suggestions....

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Jul 22, 2008 10:56:37 AM

13. I don't think anyone should be bashed for who they vote for as long as they exercise the right. I personally am not voting for Obama but I don't think I will vote for McCain either. I disagree with Obama's Energy and Healthcare policies which are enough to outweigh how I feel about the others on their gay rights record.

I usually vote based on looking at all the issues and where the candidate stands and if that candidate agrees with a majority of my issues that's who I vote for. Looks like this year it will be Barr for me.

Posted by: Another Josh | Jul 22, 2008 10:59:00 AM

14. "There are a lot of issues that are lot more important to my partner and I than whether or not we can get hitched."

I hope your partner is in a nasty car accident tomorrow. And the hospital refuses to allow you to visit him.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 22, 2008 11:01:58 AM

15. Sometimes it's about more than "the gay community". While I will be voting for Obama myself (dyed-in-the-wool liberal that I am), there's no reason you can't be gay and believe in lower taxes, privatized healthcare, and (if you're a particular ex of mine) that immigrants are scum. Not that that's what all Republicans believe, I'm just saying.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 22, 2008 11:02:40 AM

16. I would think at least half of those 14 percent are thinking with their wallets - it wouldn't matter who the democratic canidate was - in the end as long as they are protected from the ills of the world by their moneyed walls - all will be well.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 22, 2008 11:04:55 AM

17. Put me in the definite "Other" category. Maybe Nader or Barr, but not Obama or McCain. Just not a good choice, but I will live if either of them make it. I lived through Bush, Clinton and Bush. Time to live through another EPIC FAIL of a presidency.

Still go out and vote for who will represent you the best. Go out and be informed, then vote!

Posted by: Obamalet | Jul 22, 2008 11:06:33 AM

18. Considering all the racist gays I've met that were otherwise liberal, there is no moral superiority to either side in the end. However, people tend to vote where they sit, as it were.

Also, 50% of Americans have an IQ below 100, 70% of Americans believe we've been visited by aliens, 80% believe in angels, only 10% can name their congressman and only 25% can name the vice president. Yet, these people vote!

Posted by: anon | Jul 22, 2008 11:09:01 AM

19. Josh said all that just to confess that he is a Pink (or Rainbow) Uncle Tom.

Posted by: javier | Jul 22, 2008 11:12:53 AM

20. Josh, I agree that no one should tell anyone how to vote. My mind is open. Would you please tell me what specific McCain platforms have convinced you to vote for him?

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Jul 22, 2008 11:13:35 AM

21. This election is not all about gay rights. Are we all so self involved to think it's all about us? This is the country I love and want to see be kept safe always..and represented in a distinguished way when our President goes abroad. McCain may be a lot of things but he is loyal and a passionate American. I must say he is also doing pretty well in the polls considering Obama is still handed everything on a silver platter by the media. I don't vote Republican ever but after Obama's approval of FISA, the way he and and his staff tunred the African American community against the Clintons, rejection of public financing etc etc etc I cannot vote for him and live happily with myself.

Posted by: daveynyc | Jul 22, 2008 11:17:59 AM

22. TO JONATHAN: Any person -- gay or straight -- who votes Republican to "protect their money from taxation" is an idiot. The idea of "Tax & Spend bleeding heart liberals, who can't balance the books" is a MYTH created and perpetuated by the GOP. In the U.S. over the past 8 years the budget has gone from balanced with a surplus, to a TRILLION dollar defecit! In Canada, the Conservative government has spent ALL th surplus generated by the previous Liberal government. There are better reasons. BASIC CIVIL RIGHTS? Kind of vital. You BET I'm a single-issue voter!

Posted by: Strepsi | Jul 22, 2008 11:19:02 AM

23. I plan to vote for Obama, but as soon as the republican party gets more progressive on gay rights, I will be switching faster than you can imagine.

Policies that will socialize our healthcare system are not in the best interest of the country.

I feel that the government is in no better position (and with a worse track record) to spend my hard-earned dollar than I am, so I'll keep it if you don't mind.

I am against the "death tax" and feel that inheritance should not be taxed. The taxes were paid on the money as it was earned, so the earner can choose to do with it as he/she sees fit, even in death.

Having said that, in the end, it is most important to me that I can raise a healthy, happy family with my partner. Until rights are in place ensuring that, I will be voting for the more pro-gay candidate. But watch out, Dems, I'm gone as soon as the GOP produces such a candidate.

and I am not self-loathing at all. It takes some f-ing nerve for some of you queens to label some people as such because they may have different political ideas and priorities than you. A lot of nerve.

Posted by: Dan B | Jul 22, 2008 11:22:45 AM

24. "There are a lot of issues that are lot more important to my partner and I than whether or not we can get hitched."

Like staying in Iraq for 100 year, refusing to pay taxes to pay for the trillion-dollar war that Bush created and McCain enabled, and continuing "free market" policies that have allowed the banks to self-destruct, continue our addiction to foreign oil, and drive illegal immigrants into the country.

It must be nice to be so deluded.

Posted by: ted | Jul 22, 2008 11:24:52 AM

25. You McCain folks better never never vacation in the Deep South or some western states again. By the time McCain gives Supreme Court appointments to the Right-wing of the Republican Party those conservative states may BRING BACK their sodomy laws. A Bush/McCain Supreme Court will uphold those laws. You McCain Homos could go to jail for physically loving another man in those states. Stay away from the beautiful Gulf Coast, baby.

Democrats don't put gay-hating judges on the federal bench. Republicans do.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 22, 2008 11:25:26 AM