Apple | Barack Obama | Election 2008 | John McCain | News | Theatre | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #325

OREO: John McLaughlin of The McLaughlin Group says Obama "fits the Oreo sterotype." More from Media Matters.

REWRITING HISTORY: The DNC responds to McCain surrogate Carly Fiorina's remarks on Meet the Press over the weekend that McCain doesn't march in lockstep with Bush on Iraq.

iPHONE: KTLA reporter learns not to mess with fanboys in the iPhone line.

NICK ADAMS: An interview with Mario Lopez bicep rival Nick Adams.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. Boy, Nick is so cute. He is a husband to be.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jul 15, 2008 7:10:33 PM

2. As a black kids, growing up in a relatively-progressive city in the south, Savannah, I got the "Oreo" comment from fellow blacks (adults and peers) all the time. Heck, living in LA and being 26, I STILL get it from blacks here!

I'm not saying I agree with what McLaughlin is saying cuz I don't. All I'm saying is that bigotry against blacks often comes FROM blacks. (Which I'm sure you all already know.)

I'm very happy to see how the definition of "Black man" is being changed by Obama. He's given those of us who don't necessarily fit the stereotype of being "militant", "thuggish" or "tough" shoulders to stand on. Long live the skinny, black, friendly, Indie Rock, book nerds! You shall rue the day you crossed us! :-)

Posted by: damien | Jul 15, 2008 7:31:34 PM

3. Damien,

Dude, the definition of a "black man" has never been "thuggish, etc." Those are stereotypes. You mushed "militant" and "thuggish" together. "Militant" was often used against members of the Civil Rights movement for not knowing their place and daring to speak out for themselves. Get it? A "militant" black person is the same as an "uppity Negro." Obama has been called "thuggish" himself by Geraldine Ferraro and Hillary Clinton acolytes who didn't like how Obama defended himself against their attacks. Using "thuggish" was a cheap, racially charged attack to play on stereotypes.

Long before Barack Obama came on the scene there was Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. Dubois, Martin Luther King, Thurgood Marshall, Langston Hughes, Dick Gregory, Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr, Adam Clayton Powell, Dr. Charles Drew, etc. All of these men were well dressed, thoughtful, and determined men.

Adam Clayton Powell. Read up on the man. Like Obama he was visibly mixed-race, looking far more white, than black. However, that did not stop the vicious treatment he received by his Congressional colleagues.

The media pimps the image of the gangsta rapper for profit and fun. But that is a recent image. In the 1960s, Sydney Poitier was the iconic figure dignified, smart, and self-assured ("They call me Mr. Tibbs).

I'm not trying to come down on you but it's important to understand the power of words.

John McClaughlin is a media pundit. His calling Barack Obama an Oreo is an insult meant to hurt Obama with African-American voters. McClaughlin has no right using such a word.

Last year, the media pushed the meme "is Barack Obama black enough"? That was white pundits, not African-Americans. It's a part of strategy that Obama's enemies put out to divide and conquer.

So, if someone calls you "militant," realize that is a compliment. That person is scared of you because you are standing up for yourself. Some people should be made to feel uncomfortable. Seriously, when is the last time you heard a forceful white guy who stood up for himself called "militant"? Instead, he would be called heroic or some other positive adjective to stress his masculinity and fearless pursuit of truth, justice, and the American way.

Posted by: noah | Jul 15, 2008 8:19:30 PM

4. Totally agree, Noah.

Oh, and that Nick Adams is some kind of delicious. Check out his flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15020404@N08/show/

Posted by: Jason | Jul 15, 2008 9:05:49 PM

5. Jason, thanks for the link to Nick Adams flickr slide show. One thing for sure is the camera certainly loves Nick and he loves it right back. A great photo spread.

As for McLaughlin, it's amazing just how little attention his comments have gotten from the MSM. I hope when Obama is elected one order of business is revising media ownership rules and bringing back the fairness doctrine. Our so called "fourth estate" has abdicated it's responsibility to fairly and accurately inform the American people of what's going on. Corporate ownership of so many media outlets have allowed the MSM to become co-opted as propaganda organs for the GOP. We need fewer pundits and more verifiable facts.

Posted by: Bob R | Jul 15, 2008 11:02:45 PM

6. I'm with the KTLA reporter - it's a fcking phone people! What a waste of time - even though the fat nerd didn't think so.

Posted by: Shane | Jul 16, 2008 7:33:16 AM

7. McLaughlin - Isn't he around 100 now? Oh wait, that's his viewership.

Carly? Keep her coming as McCain's surrogate! She was such a disaster against Claire McCaskill on Meet The Press that it was a joy to behold!

Nick Adams is a god! Anyone know who he's fucking?

Posted by: wisebear | Jul 16, 2008 8:34:15 AM

8. As an Independent it really gives me a chuckle when Democrats complain about media's political bias; as if there were no such thing as a liberal bias on TV or in print. Thinking there isn't might be the height of elitism.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 16, 2008 9:35:48 AM

9. NOAH,

children so readily ignore history. good on you for reminding DAMIEN.

JIM,

it gives you a chuckle? are you also bemused or amused? do you sprinkle your rightist comments with words like "ilk" or "blather"?

you are as much an "Independent" as i am a heterosexual. from this elitist to you, "go away, sissy. go back to gay patriot."

Posted by: nic | Jul 16, 2008 2:37:08 PM

10. NIC... Thanks once more for the chuckle. "Rightist comments?"

Yes I use words like "ilk," okay, not so much "blather," but still they're good words. Why, is there something offensive to you about them? Don't worry NIC, I'll type the rest of this for you really s-l-o-w-l-y.

Since you're interested another one I use is myopic, as in... one's myopic and apparent humorless viewpoint.

I am registered Independent, NIC, and albeit reluctantly will be voting for Obama since neither party's candidate is my perfect choice.
    My point was there is bias played on both sides of the aisle. It's just politics NIC whether you're lambasting Bush, McCain or Obama. I think it's merely sexism though if you're poking fun at Hillary.
    I'm sorry if you don't see that or sorrier more so if you choose to not acknowledge it.

I don't believe I ever said I wasn't guilty of elitism.

By the way, you say "sissy" as if that were a bad thing. What, too close for comfort for you? That word strike a nerve, NIC? Does it scare you? If so that's called l-o-g-o-p-h-o-b-i-a.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 16, 2008 6:55:11 PM