Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | Denver | Hillary Clinton | News

Hillary Clinton Nails it at the DNC

Hillary_2

08_3I was headed out onto the Convention floor this evening right before Hillary Clinton's speech but they shut the floor about ten seconds before I got out there because of the crowds. This was my perspective, at least for the beginning of the speech. Clinton's speech was thoughtful, gracious, impressive, and funny. And I was equally impressed by Governor Brian Schweitzer from Montana, who preceded her.

Watch Clinton's speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's Schweitzer, in two parts.

Comments

1. there are so many sore losers at this sight... mean and nasty ones... Review the comments

Posted by: Scott | Aug 27, 2008 2:24:02 AM

2. I've never been a fan of HRC, but I thought that was one heck of an oration!! Really blew me away. Her speechwriters should get a Pulitzer for that effort and its fascinating to see how her speech delivery has so drastically improved since she started her campaign. The final section, where she quoted Harriet Tubman, gave me chills. It was so great to see the crowd (and following, the pundits on MSNBC) getting so enthusiastic. Makes me feel like we could win this thing after all...

Posted by: Danmac | Aug 27, 2008 2:32:18 AM

3. I'm not the brightest bulb in the marquee, so I suppose Andy intentionally selected this photo because of the not-so-subliminal message blaring from the top of the stage. Right?

Posted by: oneway | Aug 27, 2008 2:36:17 AM

4. Don't get me wrong, I love Hillary and she was rousingly effective tonight, but does anyone else think Meryl Streep in the Manchurian Candidate whenever she is giving a speech????

Posted by: Brian | Aug 27, 2008 2:40:39 AM

5. That site is complete insanity! I posted this comment in the midst of all of the foulness -

"The disparaging way many of the posters above have spoken about Michelle Obama struck a chord with me and really felt very familiar. That's right, it was the same kinds of things Republicans said about Hillary Clinton back in 1992! The same "She's a monster" smears, the same "Look at her inhumanity, she's evil" insults.

I have my doubts about what party most of those commenters really represent, but I have no doubt that Hillary Clinton made it very clear that those who support McCain in November DO NOT have her support.

The world is in a perilous place right now, and George Bush's America has contributed massively to this instability. The US is virtually bankrupt because of the Republicans mismanagement, and yet there are those who would vote to continue this destructiveness? Look at what incredible damage has been done in the past four years!! To bring four more years of Republican rule to this country is certain destruction of America as the great, shining leader of the world.

This is NOT about Hillary vs Obama, it is about the Democratic party and its ideology vs the Republican party and its ideology. If you support Hillary Clinton and go on to vote for McCain out wounded ego, you DO NOT support the very platform and ideology of Clinton's campaign. And unfortunately it will be the US (and the rest of the world) that will reap the result of such insanity."

Posted by: Danmac | Aug 27, 2008 2:53:14 AM

6. By that site, I mean Scott's link to -

not the wonderful Towleroad of course!

Posted by: Danmac | Aug 27, 2008 2:55:26 AM

7. why cant the queens that are voting for obama can't give her credit for what she has done and for who she is ? she has been supportive of the LGBT, but like always a cock comes and logn and then they tend to forget.. if i was to use name callign for Obama i can hear the queens lifting their arms callign me racist and names...but they can do it to a woman?

Posted by: Bosie | Aug 27, 2008 3:36:35 AM

8. There are very few days that I can find a kind word about Hillary Clinton, but today is one of those days. She was amazing. Clearly, the best I have ever seen her do. Whoever wrote it (other than her) did a great job, but she did just as well in delivering it.

What I think is incredible is how her perceived reluctance baited the McCain camp into playing up the possibility that she would throw Obama under the bus tonight. That insured a bigger crowd than would normally watch, and that big crowd got to watch the bitch stick a stiletto in McCain's neck. It was perfect.

Posted by: Kyle Childress | Aug 27, 2008 3:49:55 AM

9. Is anyone actually surprised she gave such a great speech? Well, anyone who isn't part of the DC Press corps looking for a conflict, or part of the liars for McCain known as PUMAs?

Posted by: MAJeff | Aug 27, 2008 6:32:26 AM

10. could y'all kiss her cooch anymore... it's not all cotton candy clouds and gumdrop rainbows in the Democratic Party - *yawn* it's very apparent people are just voting Democrat "just cuz" at this point not even looking at any of the issues and views

Posted by: wow | Aug 27, 2008 6:50:38 AM

11. it's very apparent people are just voting Democrat "just cuz" at this point not even looking at any of the issues and views

Posted by: wow
    ----------------------
    Just cuz?? Anyone who votes for the GOP just cuz, fill in the blank, is an idiot. They have sold this country down the river. While the Dems are far from perfect, no matter who you voted for, they are light years above Bush, McShame and the rest of the GOP.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 27, 2008 7:01:14 AM

12. The GOP is full of losers this election and it is apparent. When you compare the campaigns Obama talks about the future and what he'll bring this country while McCain goes "My friends, POW POW POW!"

Posted by: KFO | Aug 27, 2008 8:24:23 AM

13. I will freely admit that Hillary was absolutely amazing last night! I have been very critical of her on this site. Hell, I have been more than critical, I said she was a communist! However, had she shown that ability to speak, to inspire and to lead six months ago that would have been her acceptance speach!

Very unfortunate. Over the last two months I have been impressed with her. She finally seems comfortable. And WOW has she learned!

Anyway, let the daggers be thrown my way. While I still have my political differences with Hillary, she did an incredible job last night. She did what she "had" to do. But, at NO POINT did she say Obama was ready to be president. At NO POINT did she speak to his ability to be the "one". It is looking like Hillary 2012 or 2017. And if she continues to be the person she was last night, she will have my vote.

Posted by: RB | Aug 27, 2008 8:58:55 AM

14. Because, of course, RB, saying that it is imperative Obama be elected President means that she doesn't think he can do the job. Christ you're dishonest. Gonna pull the "Obama thinks my family should get nothing, just like McCain" lie again?

Posted by: MAJeff | Aug 27, 2008 9:10:48 AM

15. I saw the speech very differently.

"Vote for whatshisname - Barack. Thank you for the 18 million votes. Next time we'll get there (especially if next time is 2012). I did these things on the campaign and almost did it. Let me rephrase the PUMA phrase of No Way, No How, Nobama and put in McCain. Funny, huh? Did you know Mark Penn wrote this speech? I sure hope the NYT doesn't put that on the front page tomorrow. And my supporters, you're still invisible. I hope you're still pissed about that. But vote for my opponent."

Sorry, I think she is still all about the Clintons and is looking at 2012.

Posted by: Maine Gay | Aug 27, 2008 9:54:17 AM

16. Oh please... all these anti-HRC, anti-Obama posts are from republican trolls... does anyone seriously think the gay community is going to allow McCain or any other republican appoint ANYONE to the Supreme Court... oh you silly republicans... won't you ever learn! Your short reign of 8 years is nearly over - You have no power here, now begone!

Posted by: Mike | Aug 27, 2008 9:57:43 AM

17. I HATE Clinton(s). But that was a great speech. And delivered much more sincerely than her "concession" speech. But of course the 24hr News networks hopped on the PUMAs (wut exactly does that stand for??) for interviews. On one channel, one women just kept crying n babbling her Hillary-love and distrust of Obama. My mom commented: "She needs therapy. She's been hurt by a man and hasn't dealt with it."

Posted by: Lito | Aug 27, 2008 10:15:42 AM

18. Everyone here knows how I had come to feel about Hillary and some of her most over the top supporters. I have to say that she redeemed herself in my eyes last night. She was eloquent and her speech was brilliant, moving and spot on. I feel that she did in fact bring the party together in one twenty minute act of brilliance. It feels like she breathed a much needed breath of life into the (otherwise dreadful) convention, but more importantly she revived, re-excited and reinvigorated the entire party to move forward as a united front. I honestly believe that we witnessed a turning point last night.

At this point, any PUMA who continues to whine and complain about her loss is clearly not in touch with Hillary herself. As Ms. Clinton said from the stage, "Were you in this just for ME, or were you in it for the people and the policies that I represent, the same policies that Barack Obama represents and the policies that John McCain is 100% against?" That was the MOST IMPORTANT statement of the night in my opinion. For those who still cling to her we know that they were in it for her and not for her policies. SHE is leaving them behind to move forward and so should we all.

Way to go Hillary. You showed class, loyalty, honor and YES some incredible BALLS last night. You even managed to say the word GAY outside of a gay audience. Your back on my hero list. You ROCK!

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 27, 2008 10:17:02 AM

19. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT

Majeff = AGREED

Even if you didn't support Hillary during the primaries no true democrat should be or was surprised that Hillary delivered a thousand fold.

I thought her speech in DC ,where she coined the 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, was her best. Last night she trumped herself.

:-)

I so am looking foreword to bill's speech tonight.

RB your comment is straight from the mccain camps response given last night.

Technically legal as in the exact words "....was ready to be president" were not used the spirit of her speech and support is easily understood if you are not a mccain robot.

She did flat out say "NO to mccain"

"...the future of our nation depends on electing Barak Obama as president."

etc

To claim she doesn't think he is ready to be president and that she doesn't support him as president is disingenuous to the umpteenth degree.

Hillary left no room for doubt. PERIOD

A hint from this Obama supporter to the Obama campaign, Get Hillary on your speech writing team. It was beyond excellent

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Aug 27, 2008 10:22:12 AM

20. PS

Bill and Hillary both had me on the verge of tears.

Bill when it was evident he had a tearful glint from pride in his wife and her speech in his eyes.

Hillary when she talked about her friend and supporter congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones who passed away recently.

---------------------

Zeke, agreed on her shout out to us gays. Wonderful.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Aug 27, 2008 10:32:47 AM

21. Hillary gave one of the best political speaches this "politico" has ever seen. It was perfect in tone. She got the job done. Let's just give it to her that she lost...and weeks later she is making an impassioned plea, for her rival, on the world stage. That is not easy to do. (Please, most commenters on this blog stew for days, if you don't agree with them, some even longer). She has bounced back nicely and I hope she continues to do so.
    Go ahead and hate, if you must. I for one am proud of the person she represents, her willingness and tenacity. If she's looking to 2012, so be it. That is her right, as an American. Hillary Rocks.

Posted by: ken | Aug 27, 2008 10:44:58 AM

22. She hit a home run with the bases loaded. That was an outstanding speech.

Beautifully delivered.

Brava.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Aug 27, 2008 10:45:02 AM

23. I'm so ready for this to be over. I've got democrat fatigue "kinda like condom fatigue". That said, I was listening to some of the democratic strategist being interviewed and they all resonated one point. That this convention is off point. They say day one was MO being all "family like" and day two was "mccain bashing day". They stated that the convention has failed to adequately say "who barak is, how he plans on implementing his positions when/if he is elected." Any thoughts? I kind of feel like it's spelled out on his website. But how many voters read through that 60+ page PDF

Posted by: Matt | Aug 27, 2008 10:49:46 AM

24. Thank you, Hillary!! Well done. All I could think as you spoke was how I wish it were you as the candidate... Thanks for the bang on speech. Brava!!

Posted by: trudster | Aug 27, 2008 10:55:42 AM

25. WOW Jimmyboyo and a couple of others. Did anyone read what I wrote? I actually said nice things about Clinton! She actually won me over last night. And yet I get grief from some here?! Even when I admit that I was not wrong, even when I concede that she is a true and viable candidate I get this crap! Give me a break.

Majeff, have you taken notice of all of the positions I have taken on Towleroad or just clung to that one statement? Do you pay attention? I am beyond fiscally repub, I have strong views on abortion, wellfare, healthcare and needle exchange programs, however, I NEVER VOTED FOR W! I voted for Kerry, Gore and Clinton twice! I did so with a straight repub ticket, but I cross party lines when the candidate is the RIGHT choice! (Again, I do regret the Kerry vote)How many here can say that? Jimmyboyo you know that! Bush has been the worst repub pres I can think of! He is a failure and I get that.

I have crossed party lines for the candidate that I feel is the best. I can do that! Can you? Would you cross and vote the candidate that agree with 80% of the time or stick with one that you agree with 50% of the time just because they are dem? I suppose that I know that answer to that one!

However, Obama is NOT ready to be president. Hillary said it, Biden said it, and everyone else has said it. Why would I step through my persoanl beliefs and vote for anyone that I honestly, genuinely do not believe should hold the position because he said the word gay?

We face dire circumstances in the middle east by fundamentalists that THINK WE SHOULD BE DEAD JUST FOR BEING GAY!!! Do I think that McCain wants us to get married, hell no, but do I think McCain wants to kill all gays in America NO! Theres against us and there is "against" us and McCain is not out to kill anyone for being gay.

Having said that, I was sincere about Hillary. She has shown herself to be "ready on day one". She has proven herself as a fighter, a great speaker and I stand by what I said. I have posted many times that the next pres, Obama or McCain, will be a one term president, a transition. I am hoping that McCain will break the right wing strangle hold on the repubs as much as Clinton could break the left wing stranglehold of the Kennedy's on the dems. She is a moderate. She understands that she has to be a centrist to get things done. Obama does not get that.

He is NOT ready. I will NOT vote for him. I will cross party lines in 2012 and vote for Clinton. This was her election to lose and she lost it. She appears to have learned something and is coming out stronger.

Posted by: RB | Aug 27, 2008 10:57:19 AM