I'm Not Gay | News | Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr. Says His Bisexuality was 'Manufactured'

According to Popnography, Robert Downey Jr. tells Rolling Stone magazine that his rumored bisexuality was something he manufactured:

Rollingstone"A lot of my peer group think I'm an eccentric bisexual. That's OK. Being relaxed about sexuality is something you're born with...[My bisexuality] was manufactured. I didn't have an identity. I was playing around. I expressed it. I grew up in the Rocky Horror Picture Show world, where even my butch friends turned out to be androgynous on Saturday nights."

Previously
'Head in a Net' Trend Catching On [tr]
Robert Downey Jr. Plays Black Actor in Tropic Thunder [tr]

Comments

1. I think his bisexuality was manufactured out of starring in Less Then Zero, then basically becoming that character in real life. Lines were blurred.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 19, 2008 1:05:01 PM

2. How convenient for him. I used to hear the same excuses in college and the military.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Aug 19, 2008 1:05:15 PM

3. I think his bisexuality was manufactured out of the fact that he was running around fucking guys all over the L.A. club scene back in the 80's.

And when he was sent to the slammer he specifically asked to be put in the gay drug rehab program.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 19, 2008 1:12:57 PM

4. I like him.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 19, 2008 1:14:43 PM

5. Addicts, even recovering ones, can have a very distorted perspective on reality.

Posted by: Marc in Chicago | Aug 19, 2008 1:30:43 PM

6. His manufacturing of his bisexuality is what is manufactured.

Cooking this up to appease the fan boys of the iron man franchise since the sequel is already in the works.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Aug 19, 2008 1:31:09 PM

7. I like him too. Good for him. He's not gay and I've been around him (very little) and he just doesn't have that vibe. Perhaps he was once trade-y but so what! I love straight guys that can fool around and don't give a shit.

Posted by: echovic | Aug 19, 2008 1:35:35 PM

8. i think he's divine...a brilliant actor... loved him in zodiac...

Posted by: the queen | Aug 19, 2008 1:42:10 PM

9. I think he's straight.

I think most straight guys have had at least some same-sex experiences, but it doesn't necessarily make them bisexuals.

Hell, I've been with women and I'm definately gay.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 19, 2008 1:45:18 PM

10. Thanks alot, Robert. You just popped my "manufactured" sex fantasy balloon.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Aug 19, 2008 1:51:25 PM

11. A lot of people have manufactured egos for themselves. Christian Siriano, for example. It doesn't mean the image necessarily contradicts the reality.

Posted by: Bakeley | Aug 19, 2008 2:00:51 PM

12. In LA you hear things about celebrites since our circles here tend to be, well small....but recently "The non-bisexual guy" sent his ex-former lover to the hospital after a brutal um...rape and beating...just saying what I heard...and then page6 said something about this with out mentioning "the non-bisexual guy" ...hmmm...just saying. Now he has to go on record make sure no on associates him with that little article and the gossip here in LA....interesting.

Posted by: Bosie | Aug 19, 2008 2:11:38 PM

13. It's distressing when famous figures with bisexual pasts later distance themselves from these 'youthful indiscretions' (e.g. UK politician Michael Portillo), or describe them in terms of 'cultural experimentation' (David Bowie) or, most alarmingly, as symptoms of mental illness (Anne Heche). Isn't it peculiar how often these statements coincide with the onset of middle-age, and the attempt to obtain bourgeois respectability?

I've always assumed RDJr was bisexual, and had chosen to settle down with a woman (and maybe a few boytoys on the side, whatever.) Fair enough, he's a talented actor who I respected, and his personal life isn't my business. If anything, his bisexual past made him more interesting. However, to now explicitly disown his 'putative' bisexual past seems like the actions of a person fearful of the disapproval of moral conservatives, and sends out the message that it's undesirable to be (mis)identified as gay/bisexual. What a pity he's proved to be so cowardly. Guess he doesn't want to endanger the "Iron Man" cash cow with rumours which may disturb conservative church groups with the power to influence the parents of teenagers, the prime demographic of the imminent sequels. He didn't seem to feel the need to make such an announcement when he was making films aimed at a predominantly adult audience...

Incidentally, while I have no love for croaky old Mick Jagger, I respect him greatly for never having refuted or justified the stories about his bisexuality - premier showman that he is, he realises these stories only add to his allure, even if they're exaggerated - compare him to the revolting hypocrite and self-styled "closet heterosexual" David Bowie, who described his well-documented bisexuality in the '70s as "a product of the times", and now claims contentment in the arms of his boyish-figured wife - if so, why do I have escort friends who have seen him at gay sex-parties this decade?

I may be generally indifferent to famous figures with bisexual pasts, but I positively despise those who refute or rationalise their former attitudes, especially if they are still acting upon these desires - disgusting, cowardly hypocrites.

Posted by: johnnzboy | Aug 19, 2008 2:16:57 PM

14. Robert and I were friends in New York City during the early 80s in New York. All I have to say is that he sure did suck a lot of cock,and date a lot of boys for someone who manufactured his bisexuality. He was also dating Sarah Jessica Parker at the time, but she has a pattern of dating and marrying bisexual man (she kind of looks like a cross between a horse and a man herself). I think more than being a hypocrite or a liar, Robert is still lost as ever.

Posted by: puntkhugdaddy | Aug 19, 2008 2:56:34 PM

15. How the hell does everyone on the internet somehow know Robert Downey Jr? lol

Posted by: Wes | Aug 19, 2008 3:14:09 PM

16. My dad and his dad, talk show host Morton Downey, were golf buddies. That's how I know him.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 19, 2008 3:37:37 PM

17. Uhh.... Robert Downey Jr's father is Robert Downey Sr. That's why he's a Junior. (Dad: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002049/)

Morton Downey Jr was a talk show host and was not Robert Downey Jr.'s father. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0235968/)

Was RDS ever a talk show host?

Posted by: Bakeley | Aug 19, 2008 4:28:03 PM

18. Morton Downey is not RDJ's father, duh. Liars don't even have Wikipedia?

Posted by: LD | Aug 19, 2008 4:51:33 PM

19. If he were fucking around so much in NYC in the early 80s how did he escape "The Scourge"?

Posted by: Nick | Aug 19, 2008 6:02:49 PM

20. I admire Downey for breaking through this gay/straight divisionism which has dogged male sexuality for a long time. I would go on to say that the vast majority of straight-identifying men are bisexual in orientation, even if the same-sex aspect is a minor part of their overall orientation.

Posted by: jason | Aug 19, 2008 7:08:26 PM

21. It's funny that this story should be here and that Bosie should mention that blind item about the gay rape scenario, because when I read the blind item my first thought was of RDJ.

I'd laugh my ass off if it turned out to be homophobic big Willie, but for now I'm sticking with my original hunch.

Posted by: paul | Aug 19, 2008 7:25:47 PM

22. Can you manufacture sex?

If he were worried about the Iron Man franchise wouldn't he have put this out before the movie came out?

Posted by: anon | Aug 19, 2008 8:30:58 PM

23. Stating, "I didn't have an identity. I was playing around. I expressed it." is not disavowing bisexual behavior of his past. In fact, it sounds like he acknowledged expressing that part of his sexuality.

I prefer to watch RDJ when he's talking about something b/c he's someone who can say something in a snarky way or an ambiguous manner and people take it seriously (e.g. Batman comment). I prefer context to a statement and as I haven't read the full article of RS, I'm not even sure what question he was answering.

Posted by: zeeks | Aug 19, 2008 10:30:55 PM

24. I didn't read the quote as offensive. He said it was manufactured but I just read that as he was exploring like all of his other androgynous friends. He didn't say he didn't sleep with men. He just said he was a man of the times. What's wrong with that? Andy Dick said he sucked cock because of drugs which to me is much worse. Then again, I just can't stand Andy Dick and want to give him a fist beating on general principle.

Posted by: More Nonsense | Aug 20, 2008 10:51:05 AM

25. MAN!!! You suck one cock and all of a sudden you're a cocksucker!

Posted by: MP | Aug 20, 2008 5:43:22 PM