Art and Design | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

When You Care Enough to Send the Very Gayest

Card1 Card2 Card3

Well, maybe they're not the very gayest cards we've seen, but Hallmark has put out a line of cards intended to celebrate same-sex marriage. The language inside the three offerings is "neutral" says the company, and aside from the tux design, they're pretty neutral on the outside as well.

The AP reports: Hallmark added the cards after California joined Massachusetts as the only U.S. states with legal gay marriage...Hallmark says the move is a response to consumer demand, not any political pressure. 'It's our goal to be as relevant as possible to as many people as we can,' Hallmark spokeswoman Sarah Gronberg Kolell said. Hallmark's largest competitor, American Greetings Corp., has no plans to enter the market, saying its current offerings are general enough to speak to a lot of different relationships. Hallmark started offering 'coming out' cards last year, and the four designs of same-sex marriage cards are being gradually released this summer and will be widely available by next year."

Comments

1. The culture war is officially over. Guess who won.

Posted by: joe | Aug 21, 2008 9:11:34 AM

2. This is cool, but there's one thing that puzzles/frustrates me: why is there no lesbian equivalent of the tux/two men card? I recently went shopping to buy an engagement card for a straight friend, and while I noticed several new card lines featuring the words "civil partnership" (I live in the UK) or "Mr. and Mr.", there were no "Mrs. and Mrs." equivalents. What gives? I mean, I thought two thirds of the same-sex couples who marry are lesbians, not gay men. I certainly don't grudge the gay boys their man-specific cards, but where are ours?

Posted by: Sasha | Aug 21, 2008 9:14:51 AM

3. The American Family Association will NOT be pleased.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 21, 2008 9:15:50 AM

4. Yea, Sasha I thought of that too. Of course, we can't really see any faces so it could be two women. Many lesbians get married in tuxedos anyways, maybe they left out the faces so it could go either way. Still, it seems a bit odd.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 21, 2008 9:17:15 AM

5. For lesbians, can't you just send a gift certificate to Steak & Shake?

Hah! Just kidding. I'll show myself out.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 21, 2008 9:34:20 AM

6. Interesting point, Sasha. I suspect it's the insidious liberal bisexual double standard at work! Oops, oh no -- that's supposed to FAVOR two hot lesbian babes!

Maybe someone hasn't done their market research? Vermont statistics are exactly the same: two to one lesbian nuptials over gay male. So there should be twice as many cards with two brides. Or, as Wes says, two dykes in tuxes.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Aug 21, 2008 9:43:28 AM

7. two hypotheses:

1) because modern society has often been slightly more tolerant of lesbians than gay men, the image of two men getting married is a bit more "shocking" or attention-grabbing.

2) tuxedos are just graphically easier/more readily iconified than wedding dresses, which by nature lack light/dark contrast and instantly-distinguishable features.

Posted by: le_sacre | Aug 21, 2008 9:48:43 AM

8. We may not be seeing the entire line of cards.

Posted by: anon | Aug 21, 2008 10:22:52 AM

9. This guy has Day of the Dead artwork for gay and lesbian couples. Check them out!

They are blank on the inside.

Posted by: ladi | Aug 21, 2008 10:45:59 AM

10. I suppose it could be two butches in tuxes, but if so, they seem to be VERY butch, as they've strapped down their breasts. Do we really think Hallmark is down enough with the intricacies of lesbian life to have done that intentionally?

Anyhoo, I demand some femme-on-femme cards. After all, if the two tuxes could potentially be two women, then two white dresses could potentially be two men.

I suspect this all really comes down to the crappy stereotype that lesbians don't spend money, and so aren't worth marketing to. Speaking of which: hurry up with that Steak & Shake gift certificate, Crispy, because I'm certainly not PAYING for dinner ;)

Posted by: Sasha | Aug 21, 2008 11:27:15 AM

11. My company, Paper Words, was mentioned in the article. Check out the AP link to read the whole thing, then check us out out gay and lesbian wedding cards.

Posted by: Rob Fortier | Aug 21, 2008 11:56:03 AM

12. Sasha, gurl, I was happily take you to Steak & Shake. A steak burger and strawberry shake is my kinda Saturday night.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 21, 2008 12:24:06 PM

13. I think this is one of those cultural turning point moments. When the New York Times first included gay couples in their wedding pages several years ago, that was important. But that was a New York paper and one expects them to lead the way. In this case, Hallmark is a fairly conservative middle-American company. That they would produce these cards legitimizes gay marriage to many who would not be exposed to it. Seems like progress to me.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Aug 21, 2008 9:07:20 PM

14. The Jesus fuck freaks over at freerepublic are losing their shit...as usual.

Posted by: Jorge | Aug 21, 2008 11:37:45 PM

15. Do these cards include full release?

Posted by: Sam Iam | Aug 21, 2008 11:41:18 PM

16. Wes, You crack me up...

Posted by: kevino | Aug 22, 2008 12:43:36 AM

17. because Sasha, gay men care to spend pretty money on frivolous cards and pay for online dating portals. (fridae.com)

lesbian likes free stuff - they group together and go for a Ladies Night free flow at some poor unsuspecting str8 club, they have less spending power and when it comes to things like greeting cards -

they will claim they're so photoshop savvy they'll whip one right up and have it printed because that is the reason they bought their color laser printers.

Gay men prefer to skip all those nonsenses -

Posted by: Mj | Aug 23, 2008 12:36:40 AM