Gay Rights | Iran | Larry King | Mahmoud Ahmadinejad | New York | News

Iran President Ahmadinejad Compares Gays to Traffic Offenders

Ahmadinejad

After a speech in which he declared "Zionist murderers" to have undue influence over American and European interests, and said the "American empire in the world is reaching the end of its road, and its next rulers must limit their interference to their own borders," Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad talked to Larry King on a variety of topics. See the interview in six parts here.

King asked Ahmadinejad about his statement last year, "In Iran, we don't have homosexuals."

After declaring that homosexuality is "against human principles," Ahmadinejad responded that those who violate the country's laws against homosexuality are like traffic violations in America: "The law is the law. It's law. And it must be enforced, of course."

Ahmadinejad also declared that he has no interest in how people behave in their own homes.

Traffic offenders in America, however, aren't rounded up and hanged in public.

Watch the clip (it begins at about 1:43) and read the transcript, AFTER THE JUMP...

***TRANSCRIPT***

KING: By the way, you mentioned human rights in Israel. Don't you have some human rights problems of your own in Iran?

AHMADINEJAD (through translator): What do you mean by human rights problems?

KING: People protesting that they don't have the same rights as other people? Homosexuals -- you said last year, you denied there were homosexuals. There's homosexuals everywhere.

AHMADINEJAD (through translator): I said it is not the way it is here. In Iran this is considered a very -- obviously most people dislike it. And we have actually a law regarding it and the law is enforced. It is a law that was passed. It was legislated. And it is an act that is against human principles. A lot of things can happen. It can cause psychological problems, social problems that affect the whole society. Remember that God rules are to improve human life. In our religion, this act is forbidden and the Parliament has legislated about it. Not now, 70 years ago. This is something that happened 70 years ago, before the Islamic Republic became --

KING: So what happens to gay people?

AHMADINEJAD (through translator): Let me -- well, of course, nobody has held protests. You are -- are you concerned for 70 million Iranian people or a few homosexuals? Let's assume in Iran -- let's assume in the United States that 200 million people drive cars and a million violators are rounded up and they just basically violate driving laws. Should we be worried for the 199 million people whose safety you must be concerned about or the one million violators? The law is the law. It's law. And it must be enforced, of course. Of course we do pay attention that in Iran nobody interferes in the private lives of individuals. We have nothing to do with the private realm of people. This is at the not private, public morality. In their own house, nobody ever interferes.

Comments

1. This has nothing to do with the story but if you live in or visit Las Vegas please don't patronize THE EAGLE.

While trying to set up an OBAMA PRIDE event I was told they couldn't do "a Democratic event because we're McCain supporters!"!

Please stop supporting bars and companies that take our money to kill our movement!

Sorry to go off subject but this is important.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 24, 2008 10:56:12 AM

2. The man's a freak, to be sure. But he does make a point... American foreign policy has a checkered past in the middle east.

Posted by: The Milkman | Sep 24, 2008 11:05:36 AM

3. I didn't see the CNN program, but i think the transcript is fascinating as it reveals what the Persian leader's mindset is torwards gays. As I've mentioned on this site before, in Oman (where this site is blocked by censors), the Sultan (ruling for 37+ years) is gay and it's common knowledge yet unspoken except perhaps in whispers. It would have been great to have Larry respond with a deeper discussion about THAT in the muslim world--would Iran hang the Sultan of Oman? Ok, maybe that's not a question the world is concerned about, but it expands the issue from "why do you hang gays?" to "what about the hypocrisy in the Muslim gulf world about gay activities?"

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 24, 2008 11:17:54 AM

4. I can't look at him any longer without picturing him in a red dress singing "I Ran."

Posted by: crispy | Sep 24, 2008 11:19:58 AM

5. It should be noted that Iran isn't very gentle on traffic violations either... When my family was there in '67 (just before I was born) they weren't allowed to drive except out in the country. The reason was because they had really weird laws. If someone committed suicide by jumping off a building - if you were unlucky enough to be driving the car their body landed on, then you were guilty of murder.

That's an extreme case, and yes, the issue of gays in Iran is a mess, but many things about that country are a mess.

Posted by: Jay Harper | Sep 24, 2008 11:32:21 AM

6. THE QUEEN: Honey, this man is hot! COUNTESS: I agree, he makes me moist, too. QUEEN: Don't quite agree with his politics but I wouldn't mind meeting him to bone up on my foreign affairs if you get my drift. COUNTESS: Dahling, you are naughty, but I know what you mean. Middle Eastern men are fierce let me tell you. So sexy, so butch. So I wasn't surprised to see his position on not being bullied by other powers to stop his nuke program. THE QUEEN: Well, we'll see where that goes. In the meantime, hold on to your tampons, ladies...

Posted by: the queen with the countess de gooch | Sep 24, 2008 11:38:03 AM

7. What is up with the translator's voice? They couldn't have found someone less shrill?

Posted by: Patrick | Sep 24, 2008 11:51:02 AM

8. "American foreign policy has a checkered past in the middle east", yes Milkman you are correct. However, our current congress will not do anything about it!

We should be drilling right here on our own home turf. We need more nuclear power, natrual gas and oil from the coast and Anwar. And yet, Pelosi refuses to allow any of it. Her days are numbered and she is not long for the speaker of the house! The MOST inefective congress in the history of the country, the lowest approval ratings and no one wants to own up to it.

And as for Ahmadinejad, we should be very afraid! And Obama said that he would meet with him. Apparently he thinks he is just "misunderstood". Really, just another reason to be scared of a one term senator with little experience. I don't think Obama realizes that he cannot vote present when Iran points their new nuclear missles towards American or our allies!!!

But there is hope, at least he does not want to hang all gays in America the way they do in the Middle East. But then again no one here wants to do that. There is against us and then there is against us and the in the Middle East gays are a double threat: American and gay.

Posted by: RB | Sep 24, 2008 12:17:35 PM

9. RB, thank you for your lovely stereotypes and caricatures. As a gay man, you must feel proud of yourself.

The adults who pay attention to this stuff will notice that RB put quotations around the word misunderstood as if that word is from an Obama quote. As I have never heard Obama claim that Ahmedinejad is a misunderstood man, I'm sure RB wouldn't mind providing the quote for the rest of us. But then again backing what you say with evidence is an adult thing to do, and I just don't want to get my hopes up.

As for the president of Iran, who by the way is not its leader, you and your ilk's comeuppance will one day come. I hope it will be during my lifetime.

Posted by: Sami | Sep 24, 2008 12:37:19 PM

10. He and George Michael are beginning to have an uncanny physical resemblance. Maybe Tina and Atomica have similar effects on people?

Posted by: Mahmoud Iranamaniac | Sep 24, 2008 12:37:22 PM

11. @ The Queen & Countess:

Moist!!?? I'm sorry, but that comment made my tampon disintegrate into my walls, as I find this cretin to be a total vadge-dryer. Now as for more ATTRACTIVE Middle Eastern men, bring them on!

Oh, and Crispy, I looove IRAN SO FAR. I even downloaded the track from iTunes. Brilliant piece of work.

Posted by: banjiboi | Sep 24, 2008 12:39:48 PM

12. "But we don’t need to be fearful of [Ahmadinejad]'s rantings," he said, adding that his commitment is to meet the Iranian during the first year of his presidency.

"It's not a choice I would have made, but we don't need to be fearful of the rantings of somebody like Ahmadinejad.

Obama announced that, if elected, he wouldn't ask Iran to comply with UN resolutions as a precondition for direct talks with Ahmadinejad. "Talking without preconditions" would require America to ignore three unanimous Security Council resolutions. Before starting his unconditional talks, would Obama present a new resolution at the Security Council to cancel the three that Ahmadinejad doesn't like? Or would the new US president act in defiance of the United Nations - further weakening the Security Council's authority?

Sen. Joseph Biden, who has emerged as the clear-eyed antiwar realist in the Democratic race, told National Review Online that the idea of a president meeting with Ahmadinejad, Chavez, and others was “naïve.” “World leaders should not meet with other world leaders unless they know what the agenda is, so you don’t end up being used,” Biden said. “When I went to meet with Milosevic before the war, the condition I met with him was that no press would be available, I’d only meet him in his office late at night, and I wouldn’t dignify being seen with him.”

Sami, I thought the quotes around misunderstood were my interpretation of why Obama would continue to flip/flop on Ahmadinejad. My apologies for your misunderstanding. However, I could keep cutting and pasting quote after quote from Obama on the issue that questions his ability to lead but I am growing tired of doing the adult thing: informing myself with facts and not emotions. Even Biden agreed with me on Obama and this issue. But then again Biden said Obama wasn't ready to be president. I believe he actually said that being president wasn't an on the job training position. Too bad Obama's real desire for VP, Edwards, had that whole baby thing come up!

Take care.

Posted by: RB | Sep 24, 2008 1:23:55 PM

13. There is so much misinformation about homosexuality in Iran, and this just adds to the bullshit. Iran has a massive gay community. But yes, as an Islamic state, it is illegal. This does not mean that gays are rounded up and executed, in the same way that gays weren't rounded up and thrown in jail in Australia, NZ, Britain, etc before decriminalization.

I am all for supporting oppressed minorities, but let's get the facts straight people. Stop believing the crap you read/hear from serving idiots like Larry King. Come on! Larry King?!

Posted by: Brett | Sep 24, 2008 6:53:13 PM

14. I'm from Greece and I've been going to Iran all my life and I really like it. The people are great and very friendly. Iranians are actually very educated and many of them are very successful around the world. They are all over Beverly Hills and Monte Carlo. If you travel to the small towns they are also very kind. Now, being openly gay in the streets of Iran is not wise, but if you kiss a guy in the middle of my countries gay mecca (Mykonos), people stare and feel uncomfortably. Being gay is difficuly everywhere.

Posted by: Caligula | Sep 26, 2008 12:00:01 AM

15. We are in a world.where we have rights as human beings and as a human being the gay community needs to know and understand that there is always a way where we can be heard and to enforce our rights.check out for human rights protection for Irans.

www.judithmarty.com