Film | Gus van Sant | Harvey Milk | News

BigGayDeal.com

Milk Trailer Now Online

Milktrailer

As a follow-up to my last post, the Milk trailer just went up.

Check it out AFTER THE JUMP...

For all our Milk coverage, click here.

Comments

1. The Apple site won't load the trailer for me. Can everyone else see it?

Posted by: Distingué Traces | Sep 3, 2008 3:18:44 PM

2. meh .... I'll wait until the dvd comes out and netflix it...

Posted by: yoshi | Sep 3, 2008 3:19:00 PM

3. I wasn't able to look at it on my computer but it worked fine with my iPhone.

The movie looks amazing!

Posted by: Tom S. | Sep 3, 2008 3:23:36 PM

4. I couldn't get it to work either...you need to download the Apple updates. Once it started, I couldn't see it because I couldn't stop crying. I hope the movie is as powerful as the trailer.

Posted by: Howard | Sep 3, 2008 3:29:14 PM

5. Not working for me, even after downloading quicktime updates.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 3, 2008 3:55:08 PM

6. This movie better be the second coming of "Brokeback Mountain" what with so much hype going into it.

Which makes me wonder whether gay blogs were buzzing about "Brokeback Mountain" pre-release?

Posted by: Philip Wester | Sep 3, 2008 4:13:50 PM

7. Anyone remember the movie Kinsey? Hate to say it, but this movie is gonna flop as hard as that one did.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 3, 2008 4:14:34 PM

8. Did Kinsey really "flop" as such? It got good press, and a movie made on that scale obviously isn't intended to be a B.O. smash.

I see a fair amount of buzz about Milk on non-gay media sites -- Franco does well with young women. Obvious this isn't the latest Spider-Man, but it looks to me like Milk is likely to give decent returns for a fall prestige film.

(I just re-installed Quicktime, and I still can't watch the trailer. What the fuck?)

Posted by: Distingué Traces | Sep 3, 2008 4:29:51 PM

9. Found it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0lQrWn5VI

Looks good!

Posted by: Wes | Sep 3, 2008 4:29:56 PM

10. i predict an oscar for Penn. I will reserve my I told you so for oscar night!

Posted by: Zach | Sep 3, 2008 4:31:29 PM

11. Kinsey grossed $10 million in the States. It cost $11 million (not including marketing costs). But I think it made additional money overseas and on DVD... so it probably wasn't a net loss.

But more importantly, it got mediocre reviews. And all the advance Oscar buzz for Liam Neeson and Bill Condon proved fruitless.

Milk has the same feel to it. I just don't see an audience for it beyond the gay blogosphere.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 3, 2008 4:49:24 PM

12. It really looks like he did an AMAZING job portraying Harvey Milk.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 3, 2008 4:52:06 PM

13. I don't care if it does flop, as long as its good. Some of my favorite movies are considered 'flops' by critical or commerical standards.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 3, 2008 4:53:39 PM

14. yep. you gotta be your own critic!

Posted by: Zach | Sep 3, 2008 5:06:17 PM

15. God Crispy, you're such a Debbie Downer. This movie looks nothing like Kinsey, which if you actually watched it, was bland and boring. Van Sant doesn't have a boring bone in his body, so I am sure he will bring something exiting to this movie.
    Here comes Debbie...Downer!

Posted by: B | Sep 3, 2008 5:28:19 PM

16. Sorry, B. I wasn't trying to be a downer. I have seen Kinsey, which I thought was quite good. I wasn't comparing the tone or quality of Milk to Kinsey. I mean the manufactured buzz and the miniscule audience are about the same.

But Wes makes a good point. Who the fuck cares if it flops? I'll be seeing it myself. I just think all ya'll expecting the second coming of Brokeback are gonna be disappointed.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 3, 2008 5:42:36 PM

17. Sean Penn is a big STAR, if there are Oscar worthy performances (which is suspect there are) there will be an audience for this movie...Remember that lttle thig called "Brokeback Mountain" it grossed approx. 178M, worldwide. Kinsey was dry and ultimately, uninteresting. MILK will have a following because Penn is one of the best actors of our, or any generation.

Posted by: ken | Sep 3, 2008 5:46:33 PM

18. Oh really, Ken? You should tell that to the people who made Sean Penn's last movie, All the King's Men. You know the one that had a big-name cast and all sorts of Oscar buzz before it opened?

It was a massive flop.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 3, 2008 6:08:49 PM

19. Watching that trailer gave me such a rush! can't wait to see the movie. Got Milk?

Posted by: mike | Sep 3, 2008 6:20:29 PM

20. i was moved by the trailer. i think it looks good, certainly compelling, and totally different from both kinsey and brokeback.

i will definitely be interested to see how much of an audience this story will attract, but agree that it doesn't matter as long as it's well done.

can't help but wonder whether it might make an impact if it were released before the election rather than after, since it's a story about *hope* and *change*.

Posted by: le_sacre | Sep 3, 2008 6:39:12 PM

21. um, a 90 percent rating on rottentomatoes.com for kinsey is 'mediocre reviews'? get your prescription checked.

Posted by: noice | Sep 3, 2008 7:06:55 PM

22. Can't wait! The more good gay cinema, the better in my book.

Posted by: Br!on | Sep 3, 2008 8:13:37 PM

23. This is a big one, folks, as big or bigger than "Brokeback." It's not "just" a love story (though Milk and Scott Smith's relationship figures prominently), it's also a pivotal moment in gay history--as big and as significant as "Stonewall" or "And The Band Played On". I think the trailer is brilliantly edited; I got chills. I think a lot of people will turn out out of curiosity, the stellar cast, and (hopefully) great reviews. (I'd also like to put in a plug for "Kinsey," which was long and talky but also exquisitely done.)

Please don't wait for video--if films like this make good money in their initial theatrical run, that helps greenlight more gay-themed works. If they flop, no matter how well done or how good the reviews, it's easier for studios to say, "Well, audiences just don't turn out for gay movies, why make them?"

And screw the Oscars--they're useless. They only give Oscars to films where gay people don't have sex and/or are killed or killers (see: "Silence of the Lambs" "Braveheart" "American Beauty" etc.). If voters wouldn't watch "Brokeback," they won't watch this.

Posted by: Dback | Sep 3, 2008 9:03:11 PM

24. The trailer looks very good.

At first, I was annoyed by the comments along this thread, but then I remembered we are on the internet.

I don't any of you. For all I know you are some freaky straight guy living in your mama's basement. That thought is liberating.

As for the movie looking like Kinsey, I saw Kinsey. It's not Kinsey. Here's a link to the Kinsey trailer:

I don't know how the movie will do, but I do know one thing- you bitches are retarded if you think Milk looks like Kinsey.

Posted by: Craig | Sep 3, 2008 9:46:04 PM

25. wow! Sean Penn looks like he did an amazing job.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 4, 2008 1:10:47 AM