California | Gay Marriage | News

'No on Prop 8' Releases First TV Ad, Web Spot

No on Prop 8 has released its first TV spot featuring California voters Sam and Julia Thoron. The Thorons discuss their family and urge voters to vote 'No' on Prop 8:

Thorons"All we have ever wanted for our daughter is that she be treated with the same dignity and respect as her brothers – with the same freedoms and responsibilities as every other Californian. My wife and I never treated our children differently, we never loved them any differently and now the law doesn't treat them differently, either. Each of our children now has the same rights as the others, to choose the person to love, commit to and to marry. Don't take away the equality, freedom and fairness that everyone in California -- straight, gay or lesbian -- deserves."

Another web spot has been produced as well, targeting young voters.

Watch both spots, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's

Posted EST by in California, Gay Marriage, News |

Comments

1. THE QUEEN: well it's about fuckin time... i mean all those millions in donations and not one flier anywhere, nobody knocking on my door mormon missionary style

COUNTESS: hmmmmm, would i like to show them the missionary position!

THE QUEEN: but lest we forget there are plenty of homo hatin rednecks in this state ...

COUNTESS: and some not so hateful, dahling. they just don't cotton to gay marriage that's all...

THE QUEEN: Well, whatever the case... let's hope whoever got all those donations start spreading the word and not just on LOGO TV either, get FOX, CNN, CBS, etc.. so far I haven't seen anything in my neck of the woods...

Posted by: the queen with the countess de gooch | Sep 22, 2008 7:43:39 PM

2. OK, The Queen is getting pretty f-ing annoying.

Posted by: JD | Sep 22, 2008 7:58:52 PM

3. Maybe if you'd pry open your tight... pocketbook and pony up a few bucks to EQ/CA, you might see some of those ads in your neck 'o the woods.

Posted by: ANON IN SOCAL | Sep 22, 2008 8:12:28 PM

4. Do NOT let my cats become bastards again. I got married here in LA in June. Don't take my LEGAL marriage away. Please support the No on 8 effort!

Posted by: Tralfaz | Sep 22, 2008 8:48:20 PM

5. it's sad to see that gay people in the states still have to fight to be seen as equal.

Posted by: aamyko | Sep 22, 2008 9:01:10 PM

6. These ads are interesting, but hideously dull. Its funny how our mainstreaming takes such tentative, safe steps. It makes us look bland. "Ladies and gentlemen, in opposition to Prop 8, we introduce you to the Blands, Marcia and Fred." I mean there are more compelling ads out there for dog food than for Gay Marriage. My idea? A street, in a neighborhood, full of cool people living there lives, happy. Among them, the coolest neighbors on the block: Bill and Jean Claud -- the homo's. Can we have more sizzle and less hamburger? We are fags after all. We invented style.

Posted by: no on h8t | Sep 22, 2008 10:11:26 PM

7. So I guess "No On H8T" my wonderful parents are dull? Sorry honey, but this election will not be won in clubs and white parties.

Grow up.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Sep 22, 2008 11:06:08 PM

8. Julia and Sam are heroes in the west coast queer rights movement and they have probably accomplished more and taken more risks for queer rights than any of these haters. The message needs to get out there in a variety of ways...and it is...and this is one of these ways. Now go do something or give some money.

Posted by: henry | Sep 22, 2008 11:14:59 PM

9. Yaaay!
    The commercial just aired during the Heroes season 3 premiere!!
    Talk about good air time.

Posted by: Jesse | Sep 23, 2008 1:46:51 AM

10. I can't help but wonder how all these people in California are going to react when Barrac Obama comes to town and campaigns side by side with Douglas Kmiec, a VERY vocal opponent of equal right and marriage for gay people. While he SAYS he champions equal rights for gays, I think this will be a very telling moment.
    If we don't raise our voices up and tell him to cut the shit NOW, we might as well just vote for Palin/McCain

Posted by: Scot | Sep 23, 2008 2:14:50 AM

11. If I recall, the old man may be the same guy that Ryan (the straight guy) talked to in the 30 Days Gay/Straight ep. Same wording, same story.

Posted by: GLenn | Sep 23, 2008 3:51:44 AM

12. That was an awesome ad! (And the one with the kids was great too.)

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Sep 23, 2008 5:59:33 AM