California | Gay Marriage | News

ALERT: Donations Against Proposition 8 Desperately Needed

Opponents of Proposition 8, the measure banning same-sex marriage in the state say they have been out-funded and will lose come November unless they begin matching funds donated by the measure's supporters.

Noon8_2The L.A. Times reports:

"Although the Yes on 8 campaign has not yet posted its latest fund-raising report, supporters said Tuesday that they have raised at least $25 million, compared with $15.75 million raised by the other side. 'As a result of not being able to match dollar for dollar, we have seen a change," said Geoff Kors, the executive director of Equality California, which is fighting Proposition 8, the proposed amendment to the state Constitution that would define marriage as only between a man and a woman. The announcement pleased supporters of Proposition 8. 'I can understand their concern,' said Sonja Eddings Brown, spokeswoman for the Protect Marriage Coalition. Although other polls throughout the summer have consistently shown Proposition 8 failing, she pointed to another recent poll, from CBS and SurveyUSA, which showed the measure leading slightly. Typically, campaigns do not release their internal polling information. But opponents of Proposition 8 are clearly hoping to spur donations by dramatizing the threat to same-sex marriage."

Here's a report on the most recent polling data.

DONATE to the battle AGAINST Proposition 8 by CLICKING HERE.

Portia_ellenMembers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which has been a huge fundraiser in support of the ban, has its followers at the phones ready to begin an onslaught of new fundraising if called upon by the Protect Marriage Coalition, Utah's KSL reports.

Meanwhile, in California, same-sex couples are rushing to the altar ahead of the November vote. The NYT reports: "With four weeks to go before a statewide vote on same-sex marriage, a study has found that 3,800 gay couples are marrying each month in California. The study, released Monday by the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles, estimated that 11,440 couples had married since the state Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage in May."

Takei1A loss in November would set back the quest for marriage equality in the U.S. by years. A win would mean dramatic changes across the country.

It's not often I call for folks to donate on this site, but I'm making another donation this morning. I urge you to do the same and call everyone you know in California to inform them of the importance of this vote. Even the smallest amount will help.

We know that Steven Spielberg, Brad Pitt, and Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy have made large financial donations to this cause. Others like Ellen have spoken out.

I haven't heard about the gay and lesbian big money-earners though, matching the donations of the three above.

Ellen DeGeneres, Rosie O'Donnell, David Geffen, Elton John, Melissa Etheridge, Greg Berlanti, Gus van Sant, Bryan Singer, George Takei, Neil Patrick Harris, T.R. Knight, Suze Orman — you, your voices, and are your big bank accounts are desperately needed.

At this point, we will LOSE in November and it won't be pretty.

DONATE to the battle AGAINST Proposition 8 by CLICKING HERE.

The Courage Campaign has just produced a new video which chair and founder Rick Jacobs says demonstrates "the twisted nature of this proposed constitutional amendment."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

DONATE to the battle AGAINST Proposition 8 by CLICKING HERE.

Comments

1. I donated again and I just sent out a mass mail with text largely taken from here urging people to fight the proposition.

Posted by: Tom S. | Oct 8, 2008 9:19:39 AM

2. I will ignore Jason's rant, as we've all read his lunacy before. It's amazing how one person can say the same thing over and over in so many different ways.

There are plenty of entertainment and business moguls in California who, as the most immediate and direct beneficiaries of a win on Prop 8, should be the primary monetary supporters of the effort. I don't know, maybe there are lots of GLBT folks across the country who have way more money than I do, but I'm getting tired of being hit up for donations every 20 seconds. I support the causes, and would donate if I could... but it's just not in the budget right now.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 8, 2008 9:24:31 AM

3. Andy, I have never before in my life advocated curbing free speech but as this is your personal blog I would urge you to exercise your moral right to delete JASON's comments. He is essentially a spammer, ranting on about the bisexuality even when nor relevant to the topic. He never contributes in a positive way, is always commenting at the top of the board and is just painful to have to scroll through.

Consider him like a single-purpose account vandal on Wikipedia and just blank his posts.

Please.

Posted by: givemestrength | Oct 8, 2008 9:27:15 AM

4. Yay! Go Andy!

Posted by: givemestrength | Oct 8, 2008 9:28:03 AM

5. Milkman and Givemestrength,

I have noticed the trolling Jason has done on this site and although I try to allow everyone, even those I disagree with, to express their thoughts, I came to the conclusion this morning that his purpose was only to incite and not to add so his comments were deleted. Unfortunately, some commenters have floating IP addresses (which may be the case with him). I also have my eye on a few other commenters who behave the same way. I'm sick and tired of those who use this forum only to try to incite argument, incite hatred, and neglect to use it to inform constructive discussion. People are free to disagree with me and the content on the blog. I can't always monitor all of the hundreds of thousands of comments on the site. But when there is a pattern of misuse, commenters will be banned or the comments deleted. Sorry, I've had it.

Posted by: andy | Oct 8, 2008 9:35:33 AM

6. Unfortunately, our nitwit, green behind the ears mayor...arrogantly screaming in his gravely voice...'its coming, whether they like it or not" is going the trick.

His endless arrogance is killing us, yet again

Posted by: tom | Oct 8, 2008 9:40:50 AM

7. You forgot to include Madonna on your list. SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!

I just donated $200 myself....we are so close to make history!!! Call ALL your friends...talk about prop 8.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 8, 2008 9:54:39 AM

8. All through this I've had problems understanding how people could actually support this proposition...and I thought their ad was extremely lame - riddled with half-truths and lies. Can my fellow Californians be so ignorant to fall for such tripe? I've sent more $$$ and hope it turns the tide - but honestly, if people are so lame to be inclined to support this, I don't know what we can do. Obviously, we are going to have to turn up the volume because the current "soft" approach doesn't appear to be working. Why not just call them all out for the bigots they are? How would they like someone telling them who THEY could marry? Or telling them they aren't entitled to all THEIR rights. What a bunch of hypocrites. Protect marriage? Why not ban divorce then... I'm sure that would really be a popular proposition. NOT! Tina Fey had a very good statement on Saturday regarding how ridiculous this was... I think it was something along the lines of... "I believe marriage is a sacred institution between two unwilling 17 year olds..." Again, what a bunch of hypocritical nonsense. (Sorry for the rant, I'm pissed!)

Posted by: Mike | Oct 8, 2008 9:55:13 AM

9. Thanks everyone for your donations. We went to a fund raiser over the weekend with Lily Tomlin and that event raised $25K. They had a sponser that would match dollar for dollar, so we ended up rasing $50K.

And I agree, there's plenty of big buck celbs that need to pony up .... NOW!!

Posted by: Tralfaz | Oct 8, 2008 10:07:22 AM

10. ANDY...thank you so much for keeping this issue at the forefront here on towleroad!

There are three anti-marriage propositions on the ballot this election season--in California, Florida and Arizona. We will lose in Florida and Arizona. However, California is still winnable, but only if we ALL support No on 8 with our dollars and our time!! Even if you don't live in California, the vote here in November on this issue will affect you because what happens in California often eventually happens in the rest of the country. Please donate!!!!

Yesterday I donated $500. I plan to donate more today. And I am also volunteering my time to phone bank for No on 8. I urge everyone across the country to do the same. Andy provided a link to make it easy for you, so let's make this happen!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 8, 2008 10:14:41 AM

11. Thanks Andy. Just did my part.

Posted by: Tim | Oct 8, 2008 10:36:54 AM

12. Andy,

Thanks so much for taking a stand and voicing your opinion. I appreciate your work which is why I am a daily reader of your blog. As you stated it is important to keep an open dialog for debate, which is why individuals who do not agree with your opinion are welcome and essential to Towleroad and in society. However, comments from Jason and "The Queen" have taken away from the effectiveness and purpose of your blog (as well as a few others). It would serve to learn how to talk to others instead of simply trying to raise the "boiling points" in order to incite off-topic debates. It's as unnecessary as McCain's personal attacks on Obama. Thanks for your efforts and thanks for making Towleroad great!

Cory

Posted by: CJ | Oct 8, 2008 10:39:22 AM

13. Peterparker, don't write off Arizona just yet. The most recent polls say 9% are still undecided, and AZ Together just launched a television campaign on Monday aimed directly at undecided voters.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 8, 2008 10:39:43 AM

14. CRISPY...thanks for that information!...I stand (happily) corrected.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 8, 2008 10:46:02 AM

15. I'm from Ohio and I've donated twice. I can't give a lot, but I can't let something this important pass without giving SOMETHING. If everyone nationwide just sent $5.00, think of all the money that could be used. This isn't just a California issue to me-it's one that effects us ALL.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 8, 2008 10:48:50 AM

16. Can't afford much, but just tossed 'em some change.

Posted by: MAJeff | Oct 8, 2008 10:49:44 AM

17. well done, andy. suze orman alone could buy the planet. people first, suze!

Posted by: barbara | Oct 8, 2008 10:58:16 AM

18. Even though I lost my job last week and don't know where my next mortgage payment is coming from I donated again this morning. Every little bit helps, right? No excuse for prominent celebrities to NOT get behind this fight. If we lose this fight they should be publicly ostracized.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Oct 8, 2008 11:10:17 AM

19. And, BTW, Andy, you should be recognized as a hero for keeping this important issue front and center for all to see. God bless you, Andy Towler.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Oct 8, 2008 11:11:54 AM

20. From my bestest friend in California:

The other day I passed a "vote yes on 8" sign....I pulled it down. Now who's the maverick?!

Posted by: mike_in_lancaster | Oct 8, 2008 11:11:57 AM

21. As I've been saying for months now, they and EQ CA are wasting all the money they've got with poorly conceived and ineffective TV spots in way too heavy rotation throughout CA. The spots are misdirected and soft-fuzzy-nice. Meanwhile the opposition has a finely tuned spot that CA voters are responding too.

Posted by: David B. | Oct 8, 2008 11:18:51 AM

22. THANK YOU, Andy, for this desperately needed appeal for donations to try to defeat what has, predictably, turned out to be another "holy war" against us. It might not be truly "holy" but with their pre-organized legions of churchgoers and GIGANTIC and TAX-FREE coffers we are definitely up against a powerful army.

Might it be possible to keep this thread at the top of the site for a couple of weeks, or create a pro bono banner ad for donations? Thank you.

Sadly, Jason is not the only one exploited the issue to grind his own demented axe. Someone has use it to attack SF Mayor Gavin Newsom. As you've repeatedly shown, such as in your wonderful exclusive interview from the Dem Convention, the gay community has no better straight ally than Newsom. It was HIS courage [at great political cost beyond SF and 1400+ death threats] that resulted in gay marriage equality becoming a reality in San Francisco. Whatever happens in November, MIA Ellen & Portia, as well as Phyllis Lyon & Del Martin, & George Takei & his partner, and over 10,000 other gay couples would not now be legally wed. [And soon MIA Melissa & Tami.]

Passage of Prop 8 won't neutralize their marriages but it will not just prevent any in CA in the future but set back for years the national movement for marriage equality and ALL gay civil rights.

You might not live in CA. You might not even want to ever be married. But this fight is YOUR fight, too, if you ever want to be a first class citizen. Please give whatever you can.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Oct 8, 2008 11:33:55 AM

23. Elton John is britith, so he can't donate.

Posted by: Fernando | Oct 8, 2008 12:13:48 PM

24. If you live in California you can download a NO on PROP 8 sign to post in your window or on your lawn.

Write letters to the editors. Write mass emails. Post videos online. Write messages online at message boards, forums, dailykos, thinkprogress, huff po, anywhere.

This vote will affect every gay person.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 8, 2008 12:33:33 PM

25. If you donated all you can, try writing a letter to the editor to your local newspaper. I wrote a letter refuting the Yes on 8 ad as an example.

Posted by: Matt from Ontario | Oct 8, 2008 12:52:11 PM