CA GOP State Senator Tom McClintock: Gays Don’t Deserve Marriage

State Senator Tom McClintock, who is “locked in a tight race for Congress” with Democrat Charlie Brown, made his positions clear on two separate ballot measures yesterday, the L.A. Times reports:

McclintockSaid McClintock on Prop 8:

“Lincoln asked, ‘If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? The answer is four. Calling a tail a leg doesn’t make it one. And calling a homosexual partnership a marriage doesn’t make it one.”

And on Prop 2, which prohibits confining hens, pigs and calves in small cages that prevent extension of their limbs, he said:

“Sorry, but farm animals are food, not friends. Plan on somewhat happier cows and much higher grocery bills if this one passes.”

Donate to the ‘No on Prop 8′ campaign HERE.

Comments

1. MT says

Straight people don’t deserve marriage. They have obviously completely messed up the institution.

I wish someone would come along with the balls to do what really needs top be done: get government out of the business of marrying ANYONE. Let’s see how quick straight people are to reconsider when you tell them they have to get married in a religious ceremony to actually be consider ‘married.’ If you’re going to bar anyone from calling it marriage based on the story that it’s against tradition, I guess every marriage ever performed by a judge is just a civil union.

2. Derrick from Philly says

Every now and then you run across a Nazi in America who doesn’t try to hide it. Well, it is possible that some of his constituents who don’t give a damn about gay people’s civil rights DO care about farm animals. Maybe his bigotry towards farm animals will do him in. Maybe Republican women like farm animals…compared to how they feel about gays. Sarah Palin might shoot a moose but never never a defenseless cow.

3. MikeinSanJose says

I felt ‘moved’ to contact McClintock:

“I just read Tom’s enlightened commentary re: Props 2 & 8.

I’m not a constituent, but his words moved me to action.

I donated $100 to Charlie Brown in Tom’s name.”

So I lied about the donation… so SUE me!

4. Jeff Kurtti says

I sent him an e-mail. If he wants to quote Lincoln to enhance the veracity of his bigotry, how about a paraphrase of Ben Franklin:

Calling a lifetime committed relationship between two consenting adults anything other than “marriage” is rather like calling an Ox a Bull: He’s grateful for the honor, but he’d rather have restored what’s rightfully his.

5. says

We don’t deserve marriage. That is if marriage is something that can be won on a game show. Or done and dispensed with in 50hrs after a trip to my lovely city of Las Vegas. Or if it’s something used to make money and then spend months in court fighting it out in front of your kids. I could go on.

No, we don’t deserve marriage at all.

We deserve better.

At least better than what I’ve seen a lot of straight people do with it.

6. Craig says

I had a discussion at work regarding this today. My co-worker said something to the effect that the “wedding industry” must like gays getting married. I had to remind him that the word they are targeting is “marriage” not “wedding.” Gay weddings could still occur, but it sure would be nice if they meant the same thing.