Comments

1. Mike says

Look…it’s great that they are doing something, but do we need cutesy PSAs? There are several Mac v PC parody commercials out there right now. This will not stand out. We need Chris Rock and other straight, ethnic minorities to appeal to their communities to not vote for hate. Bring this to their level…how would they feel if their civil rights were taken away?

We need to appeal to people’s hearts.

2. Anonymous says

Thanks, Andy, for giving “No on 8″ so much attention. This is really important to our community.

I agree with Mike than none of these “No on 8″ ads is particularly effective. They do need to appeal to emotion. Show real gay people — that we are your friends, relatives, neighbors, doctors, lawyers, teachers, professors, bus drivers, etc.. — and how important marriage is to us — that without it, we cannot provide basic protections to the one we love — that it is an issue of fairness and we are just regular people that want to live our lives. “Equality California” and “Love Makes a Family” had some good ads in the past like this — but I think the recent ones specifically on Prop 8 have not been effective.

3. says

This is an excellent ad in the way it conveys the basic situation.

I wish there was a similar nation-wide commercial aired on network television that would convey the basic “you have no right to oppress others with your chosen religion”.

4. ggreen says

This is totally spot on. No we don’t need to show gay people getting married. “Gay marriage” still polls negatively in California (thanks to the Un-Christians/Mormons) however “marriage equity” polls very well. “Gay marriage” is seen as some kind of special right to most of the uneducated electorate.

5. Anonymous says

I’m tired of seeing ads that look like they are film school projects. Like it or not, this is politics folks. We need to see hard hitting ads that target the Yes on 8 campaign. The Mormon church is financing the Yes on 8 campaign with millions and millions of dollars. BYU students are manning phone banks. We need to see some ads targeting the Mormon church and the other religious groups (including Focus on the Family) that are trying to rewrite our Constitution. I’d love to see an ad that features the zombie polygamist wives and asks why the mormons are trying to define what marriage is in California.

6. says

When humans are born into a given situation, no matter how vile or degrading, we often accept things as they are.

We don’t know any better.

Even when we are aware of a more FAIR and JUST situation, we stay with what we know.
    It’s comfortable. It’s familiar. It is what is. (abused men, women, and children know this feeling all too well)

Children born into slavery did not know any better; it was what was. Before the right to vote in 1920 and the social changes in the 1960-70’s, women didn’t know any better; it was what was.

But in the 21st Century, we can no longer pretend that we don’t know any better when it comes to the abhorrent injustice of denying Civil Marriage Rights to
    Tax-Paying Families and their Children.

We can’t. We know better.

So why are we PAYING and BEGGING for the possibility of equality? Don’t we realize we already DESERVE it?

7. Madam Bomb says

This video will never go as viral as it should with such horrible sharing tools. At the very least give people the option to get the direct url for the video to post to their social sites or what have you. The Facebook one posts it in some stupid “MY STUFF” box. Facebook has perfectly good posting tools that don’t require so much work for the user.

8. says

This is such an important ballot measure that must be defeated! I live in South Orange County and the Yes on Prop 8 signs are cropping up all over the place. I can’t wait to get my No signs so I can put those up as well.

This would just be such a huge blow for civil rights and would resonate throughout the Country. Thanks for empahsizing how important it is to defeat this bill. And I’m straight, but I know many friends who want to marry and I want to be there at their weddings, legal and equal.

My husband is running for State Senate as a Democrat in Orange County and we oppose this bill!