Art and Design | California | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8 | Shepard Fairey

EXCLUSIVE: Shepard Fairey 'Defend Equality' Art for Marriage Equality

Defendequality_shepardfaire_2

Shepard Fairey, the graphic designer and illustrator who created the iconic images for Obama's campaign, has turned his focus to the current fight for equality in the gay and lesbian community, designing a poster intended specifically for use at this weekend's rallies in California and elsewhere. The image is inspired by the art of a young man named Aaron Harvey. Thanks to the donations of two print sources, posters will be donated for the rally this Saturday at City Hall, which is part of the larger nationwide action called Join the Impact. More info will be forthcoming later today.

Also, I'll have a huge Prop 8 update with lots of links and news later today. UPDATE: Here it is.

Previously
Shepard Fairey for Obama [tr]

Comments

1. Hey, I wanna buy one of those.

Posted by: shane | Nov 14, 2008 7:39:18 AM

2. I'd like to purchase one as well.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 14, 2008 8:03:06 AM

3. I want this on a t-shirt!

Posted by: JayDub | Nov 14, 2008 8:46:25 AM

4. Must resist urge to make fisting comment.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 14, 2008 9:08:18 AM

5. That's a mean looking fist for "Love" unites.

Posted by: Verly | Nov 14, 2008 9:24:00 AM

6. I'd love to see that on a t-shirt as well!

Posted by: Kerry | Nov 14, 2008 9:36:07 AM

7. I have something similar on my cell from him. I would LOVE to have that on a tee as well.

Posted by: Allen | Nov 14, 2008 9:51:36 AM

8. I'm a friend of Aaron and saw all the original designs. The reason for the "fist" is that in Aaron's versions there is a wedding band on the ring finger.

Aaron's site is http://defendequalitynow.com

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Nov 14, 2008 9:58:54 AM

9. Love it.

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 14, 2008 10:11:03 AM

10. Credit card in hand, ready to buy my tshirt... Andy? :)

Posted by: John | Nov 14, 2008 10:32:45 AM

11. Crispy

LOL

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Nov 14, 2008 10:47:25 AM

12. I was thrilled to hear that Shepard Fairey created a poster based on my design, especially when a lot of my inspiration comes from him! It's nice for the movement to have an image to hang it's hat on!

Posted by: Aaron | Nov 14, 2008 11:12:34 AM

13. just got a similar tshirt
    that says defend equality loves unites

Posted by: carlos | Nov 14, 2008 11:17:23 AM

14. I love that the fist also looks like a HEART...so brilliant. How amazing would it be to see this coast to coast at rallies and demonstrations.

THANK YOU SHEPARD!!!

Posted by: Adam | Nov 14, 2008 11:37:11 AM

15. Does anyone know where I can download an .eps file of Fairey's image? I want to print signs for tomorrow's national day of protest. Thanks, Mark

Posted by: Markl | Nov 14, 2008 11:48:48 AM

16. Sorry. Hate this. It looks like a pro-fisting propaganda poster.

FAIL

Posted by: davitydave | Nov 14, 2008 11:53:38 AM

17. I know it's probably not fashionable to discredit someone supporting the protests, but Shepard Fariey, despite having good politics, is not exactly honest when it comes to his own artwork.

I'd like to know if any of the proceeds he will undoubtably make from the sale of this poster will go to help fight prop 8, or any LGBT causes. He certainly made a mint from his support of Barack Obama, and while he did donate to the campaign, it'd be interesting to see if he donates to LGBT's as well.

Posted by: OrangeCrux | Nov 14, 2008 12:07:33 PM

18. Well, he did credit me for my original poster, that's more than a lot of people would (and have) done. There's some ripoffs (bad ones) out there.

Posted by: Aaron | Nov 14, 2008 12:40:29 PM

19. Ill advised design. I'd wait for something better. First is the obvious fisting references, which won't go over well at all. Then there's the "black power" reference, which won't go over well. Then there's the socialist-realism style, which won't go over well at all (the Obama images were bad enough in this regard). I'm not waiting for rainbows and puppies, but it's way to harsh and off-putting.

Posted by: anon | Nov 14, 2008 12:42:12 PM

20. Cash in hand and ready buy a print! Great cause and awesome print!

Posted by: PATRICK | Nov 14, 2008 1:33:16 PM

21. I'd love to volunteer to help distribute these posters at the rally. Anyone know who to contact?

Posted by: Alan | Nov 14, 2008 2:16:54 PM

22. I don't see how a fist represents love or how one hand represents unity. Is this supposed to represent how Americans should defend equality -- with fists and violence?

I'm pretty sure law and reason is the preferred path...but I'm old fashioned that way. This must be part of the new America of change and hope. It sure looks like the old Soviet Union in style and substance, however.

Posted by: paul c | Nov 14, 2008 2:17:03 PM

23. Davitydave, Anon, Paul C

The "black power" reference is perfect. hello!!!!!!!!! we need to reach out to the AA community and connect our cause to their own and their historical understanding of civil rights. It is perfect.

On the "violence" thing. Martin's dream did much but it was Malcolm X and others' call to a more violent radicalism that scared many white americans to embrace the more peaceful dream of Martin's. Our own queer history shows us that the violent radicalism of ACT UP did far more for our cause and rights than the happy shuffle rainbows and puppies sweetness of HRC and GLAAD.

On the whole fisting thing. As a kink lover myself, get over it. Its funny. Having had my own fist up a warm tight male ass once or twice or a thousand times (you would be surprised what a beer and my smile can convince a guy to submit to), it can be pretty damn intimate and intense. Get over it. The majority of america will see the "black power" = a GOOD thing!!! reference and not a fisting thing at all. In camaraderie with kinky people everywhere.......Red right Red left UNITE. Red hanky people fight fight fight. Fists forever.

LOL

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Nov 14, 2008 2:36:12 PM

24. I felt ecstatic when I heard Shepard Fairey had donated his time to create a symbol to support our cause, particularly after his iconic Obama/HOPE potrait. I had thoughts of "hope", "solidarity", "peace", "optimism".

Unfortunately, and this is in no way to discourage Fairey's great generosity, I'm saddened by the use of the closed fist. To me it connotes "overpowering", "suppressive empowerment", "agitation", "anarchy" and association with the Black Panther movement.

Again, I want to emphasize I do not want to undermine Fairey's contribution to our cause. However, for the betterment of our cause and to not alienate with possible negative imagery those we are trying to convince, I want to DISCOURAGE THE USE OF THIS IMAGE.

Posted by: Jason | Nov 14, 2008 7:00:31 PM

25. agree. like the other version http://www.moeschwag.com as it is less 'oppressive' more positive. Also, it has the wedding ring.

Posted by: colby | Nov 14, 2008 10:52:19 PM