Evangelical Christians | Mike Jones | News | Ted Haggard

Ted Haggard Breaks His Silence on Gay Sex and Meth

Haggard

Ted Haggard broke his silence on his gay escapades in two recent sermons.

Says Haggard: "The first thing I want you to know is that I sinned. I really did sin. And I'm very, very sorry that I sinned...My wife - all my sin and shame fell on her. People treated her as if she had fallen. And my children...they all went through carrying my shame. And I'm so sorry that I did that to my family..."

Haggard blames his experiences with gay sex and meth on sexual abuse he suffered as a child.

According to the AP, "Haggard said church leaders missed an opportunity to use his scandal to 'communicate the gospel worldwide through secular media.'...'We consistently blow it' when those opportunities arise, he said."

We all know the only thing Haggard consistently blows are male escorts.

Watch the GMA report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Disgusting.

Posted by: JJ | Nov 14, 2008 3:01:27 PM

2. My belief is God tells me that he is going to burn in hell anyway.

Posted by: what goes around comes around | Nov 14, 2008 3:06:48 PM

3. Media whore.

Posted by: sam | Nov 14, 2008 3:08:31 PM

4. Fuck off and die you worthless sack of shit!

Posted by: H | Nov 14, 2008 3:09:10 PM

5. I was repeatedly abused at my private school from age 6 to 8. I have been ashamed, angry, rebellious, depressed, addictive and at times, suicidal, too.

But you know what? At 18 I was conscious enough to know I was being self-destructive and by 20, I'd found a therapist who understood and seriously helped me. I broke off the "relationship" with the GF and officially came out.

Ted Haggard is now a middle-aged man and father and continues to use excuses and not own up to his behavior. And I'm tired of hearing him play the victim to some sort of perversion he thinks he can just pray away. The real shame he should feel should be for his own failures to be a man.

Posted by: JTlvr | Nov 14, 2008 3:16:46 PM

6. Somehow, I don't think learning to love himself all over again was a might struggle. Hopefully his wife has heard about books like "I suspect my husband is gay." Makes for interesting night-reading.

Posted by: anon | Nov 14, 2008 3:17:24 PM

7. "....mighty struggle..." oopsy.

Posted by: anon | Nov 14, 2008 3:19:00 PM

8. Whatever...if he were honest the first time or really was sorry, maybe I'd have some pity. I understand how hard it is to be honest about being gay AND in ministry, but if u're a hypocrite, what do u expect from the people u lead? This gay and getting marring (to a woman) stuff has to stop. He was born in an era when that was "necessary" but now he needs to be an example of what NOT to do and how NOT to live. Being gay in general is hard....but geez, he blew it (ooops did I say that) big time. He didn't even have a graceful fall....sad for him and I hope he's praying and asking God and his family for forgiveness for doing them so badly.

Posted by: D.bARR | Nov 14, 2008 3:39:08 PM

9. I sinned. I really did sin. I mean--a lot! Boy, did I sin! You have no idea, there's 'sin' and then there's SIN, and since I was sinning anyway, I thought 'What the hell? I might as well sin my fucking face off! My ass is still sore from all that sinning! I didn't know that all that sinning could feel so good--on my back, on my knees, on all fours, against the wall, in my car, at the motel, behind the school, at the church, on my wife's bed, it was just sin sin sin sin SIN.

But then I was found out, and then I asked God to forgive me and he did. So it's all better now. The end.

Posted by: David D. | Nov 14, 2008 3:41:21 PM

10. I wonder if he considers continually lying to oneself a sin?

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 14, 2008 4:08:14 PM

11. ROFLLLL @ D.BARR

Ted Haggard.. for real homie
    Epic Fail.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 14, 2008 4:23:16 PM

12. Oh, Haggard, stop blaming other people.

Posted by: Brendan | Nov 14, 2008 4:26:22 PM

13. The sarcasm in our community can be overbering at times to the point that no one truly listens. I do believe Ted is being honest and for those who know little to nothing about Christianity you have to work it out in your own heart and mind with God and others to find forgiveness to find healing.

But in saying this what is being missed is that he is using some old emotional/physical damage to say this was the reason why he acted out with another man. This is all based on faulty psychology faulty theology that goes back to issues of abuse and in the same say the whole strong mom weak dad making one a gay man. These beliefs fuel much of the ex-gay movement.

Ted will move on and we should to in making sure that we as people live with integrity, honesty and the power to help change our world into a better place.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 14, 2008 4:32:00 PM

14. With as many "Christians" around who are violently homophobic (see: www.godhatesfags.com for an example of what I mean), you know what? I have no sympathy for this charlatan whatsoever. He's an example of the types of double-lives that most of those loud, strident "Christians" lead.
    Tough luck, dude - you deserve it. Maybe you can look to the Westboro Baptist Church for "forgiveness"!

Posted by: Mick | Nov 14, 2008 4:40:19 PM

15. I think Jeff might be a Christian. LET'S GET HIM!!!

(sorry, my sarcasm is out of control)

Posted by: crispy | Nov 14, 2008 5:01:12 PM

16. Uggh - He had his chance to come clean and tell the truth. But he'll live his entire life in denial and as a lie. So So Sad!

Posted by: SD619GUY | Nov 14, 2008 5:37:21 PM

17. He's just a gay Jimmy Swaggart.

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 14, 2008 6:17:56 PM

18. He's not hawt anymore, so who cares what he says.

Posted by: Puddy Katz | Nov 14, 2008 7:30:50 PM

19. Now that he's done his "public" confession let's see how long it takes him to jump back into the pulpit on regular basis. Gotta get all that ugly stuff out of the way before you begin fleecing the flock again. I don't believe for one minute that this was done for any reason other than to pave his way back into a church somewhere. Next there will be more interviews and then a book, maybe a TV movie ... whatever he can bleed it for. Contrition can, and in most cases should, be done in private and certainly without a TV audience - his situation is ancient history (really how many people hadn't already forgotten it and couldn't care less) and his dragging it back into the spotlight was absolutely done for a reason.

Posted by: ChrisM | Nov 14, 2008 8:03:39 PM

20. What is the great tragedy here? Ted for not coming out or the world for believing that he is straight?! He is a miserable man and anyone that believes that is is straight is just as delusional as he is. Really, stop preaching and just go away. Oh yeah, he is a media whore and cannot let the attention go anymore than he can let go of the dick.

Posted by: RB | Nov 14, 2008 8:43:19 PM

21. Just admit it Haggard you love doing lines and then turning into a gay sex whore until you come down, but your hipocracy brought you down.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 15, 2008 3:53:41 AM

22. He blames his gay sexual behavior on the fact that he was molested as a boy. So, I guess he blames his drug use on being forced to take crystal meth when he was young.

Oh, wait. That won't work. He better think of another excuse.

He's like most thieves who end up in jail. He's not sorry that he stole, but he's very sorry that he got caught.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Nov 15, 2008 9:20:10 AM

23. God! I LOVE Ted's comment: "We consistently blow it." Hmmmm. Well, Ted, I'm sure you do. I'm sure you do.

Posted by: mike | Nov 15, 2008 3:30:13 PM

24. God! I LOVE Ted's comment: "We consistently blow it." Hmmmm. Well, Ted, I'm sure you do. I'm sure you do.

Posted by: mike | Nov 15, 2008 3:31:31 PM