Comments

1. Owen says

The Silver Lake protest last night was so passive and so void of the anger I personally feel. It took a pointless route through a part of Los Angeles that isn’t residential or has any kind of thriving nightlife. If a few media outlets weren’t there you would have never known anything was happening. A real missed opportunity to express the disgust I, along with many people, feel over this proposition passing. Being corralled by my own community by rope and being forced to stop at the 4 major intersections to make the LAPD’s job as easy and convenient for the LAPD was insulting. Bunch of sheep. It felt like this march was put on by the LAPD because they controlled the entire march from beginning to end.

2. man says

ah, where is the best place to express your disgust Owen? This march was widely covered by the news. We’re sorry there was no violence and people weren’t out of control.

3. owen says

ACT UP didn’t ask the police to orchestrate their protests in the 80’s and 90’s, if that were the case many more of would be dead now. I didn’t mention anything about being violent or out of control, I just think it was a missed opportunity to make a much bigger statement by shutting hollywood down on a saturday night. Passivity does nothing to further this cause. Playing nice is why we got these marriage rights taken away.

4. Wheezy says

The Mormons aren’t the only religious wing-nuts cramming their religion down people’s throat. The Catholics and Anglicans should be protested too.

Is anyone planning on picketing the Westboro Baptist Church?

They’ve done plenty to spread hate too!

5. akaison says

Hey,

Who do I contact to ask the question whether the leaders of No on 8 are using this as a chance to recruit the infrastructure for a new fight on Prop 8 going forward into the future. This energy is great, but I would hate for it to be wasted. Are they doing the Obama camapign strategy of using this as an approach to build a grassroots organization or is it only venting? The reason this matters if that people eventually will lose interest unles syou give them something to do. Who is organizing this?

6. jt says

Owen is right.
    Did those people who sat at the counter or front of the bus, marching in the streets in 60’s ask for permission to protest from the powers that kept their Civil rights from them ?
    I think not

7. Eric says

I was there at the march in San Francisco.

It was truly amazing to see so many people, gay, straight, black, white, latino, asian, male, female, all come together united as one against the passage of Prop 8.

It was also disappointing though to see so many people in the bars enjoying themselves instead of joining us in the streets.

8. Miles says

Fuck being nice and not blaming anyone.

Our enemies who funded and encouraged Prop 8 must suffer, beginning with the Mormon hate cult. Agitating to take away their tax exemption, boycotting their businesses, and protesting and tying up streets to get our cause noticed are all legitimate responses to their attacks.

Blaming blacks, of course, is not an option.

Here is a preliminary list of Mormon businesses to avoid:

When I visit my family this Christmas I will not stay at a Marriott. I will to call them Monday and tell them that I am avoiding them, and telling others to avoid them, and why.

9. Tom says

In fact the US is a very divided country,especially on these polarizing social issues. I understand that California repeated the 2006 Virginia experience: Despite gains by democrats in the state wide races, we lost ~4 to 6 points among working class voters.

Mormons and the Christian religious right will be the very last to agree with us. We need to focus on the middle 4 or 6 percent of voters who leave us, but vote for more progressive issues-candidates otherwise.

So, stop talking about the Mormons, and start talking to Church going African American, older white voters without a college education, and upper middle class Catholics. If win 51% of those folk we will win elections. We’ve got to get a lot more strategic as a community.

10. Miles says

We can do both: positively educate people, and negatively shame certain institutions. We need to do both. The point in attacking the Mormon Church is not to plead with them to change, it is to stand up and defy them because they are wrong, and show all others that we are willing to do so. And meanwhile, we talk reasonably with our neighbors who are not our enemy.

11. says

Well said, Miles.

Protesting the Mormon church isn’t likely to change its mind, tho it might change a few individual Mormon’s minds. What it does do is make the mainstream aware of the power and money behind Prop 8 and show that we won’t allow our rights to be stripped away by religious bigotry without a fight. (It’s also getting media attention, which is crucial.) Gentler forms of persuasion and education are appropriate for individuals who are persuadable; peacefully orchestrated but forceful outrage is appropriate for institutions who are using their might against us.

I’m looking forward to the nationwide protest next weekend.

12. says

I video’d the Friday, 7 November 2008, protest in San Francisco. By all accounts, it was bigger than the media are reporting. To check out the crowd, please check out the video at my blog at

Spread the word: we will NOT sit by while our civil rights are lessened! Let’s hear it for the new Stonewall Movement!!!!