California | Gay Marriage | I'm Gay | Las Vegas | Nevada | News | Proposition 8 | Wanda Sykes

Wanda Sykes at Las Vegas Rally: I'm Gay and I'm Pissed

Sykes

Comedian Wanda Sykes came out publicly at a rally yesterday in Las Vegas.

Said Sykes: "I got married October 25th. My wife is here. I don't really talk about my sexual orientation, didn't think I had to. I was just livin my life. Not necessarily in the closet but I was just livin my life. Everybody that knows me personally, they know I'm gay. That's the way people should be able to live their lives really. If we had equal rights...we shouldn't have to be out here demanding something that we automatically should have as citizens of this country. But I got pissed off. They pissed me off. I said, you know, what I gotta get in your face. And that's what we have to do now. They have pissed off the wrong group of people!"

Image of Sykes by Towleroad reader Derek Washington. See more in our National Gallery of Marriage Equality photos from readers across the country.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Better Wanda Sykes as the spokes person for African-American GLBTQ than Jasmyne Cannick.

Posted by: Wheezy | Nov 16, 2008 12:08:55 PM

2. You go girl!

Wanda is my hero. And has been for a while.

Posted by: KevinVT | Nov 16, 2008 12:39:35 PM

3. Bravo, Wanda. One more reason to love her.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 16, 2008 1:03:03 PM

4. OMFG, I love Wanda, who could be a better representative for the Black LGBT community than Wanda! Thank you soo much!!

Posted by: Pekemo | Nov 16, 2008 1:11:06 PM

5. always suspected

Thank you my sister for making it official, Thank you for being vocal against prop 8, and Thank you for all the laughs over the years.

:-)

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Nov 16, 2008 1:20:33 PM

6. I love you Wanda! Keep it up!

Posted by: KFLO | Nov 16, 2008 1:22:36 PM

7. Wanda needs to go on Letterman, The Tonight Show and as many other talk shows and news shows as possible to state exactly what she said here.

I particularly liked how she framed the 'being gay is a choice' lie that is constantly used against us as an excuse to not give us equal rights. After all, if orientation is a choice, I am sure every straight person can clearly remember the day they decided to be hetero instead of gay. I always love asking bigots about this.

The general population watches these shows and she could do more to change minds doing this than any politician or any protest we can mount.

Go Wanda!

It's time to start calling the bigots on their BS at every chance.

Posted by: KMDenver | Nov 16, 2008 1:54:13 PM

8. Love Wanda, always have. Glad she was willing to use her popularity for a good cause. 'I Shall be Released' keeps playing in my head. My favorite bob dylan song.
    Nina Simone does a kick ass version as do many others.

Posted by: richard s | Nov 16, 2008 1:56:33 PM

9. Wow, I liked her before, now I love her !!!
    You go girl!!!!!!

Posted by: Ty | Nov 16, 2008 2:37:48 PM

10. LOVE. HER.

Thanks Wanda for your voice (and what a voice)!

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 16, 2008 2:54:55 PM

11. I love Wanda Sykes! I never knew she was lesbian, but I always suspected. This is awesome! Definitely pissed off the wrong people. Hah.

Posted by: Johnny Perez | Nov 16, 2008 3:09:08 PM

12. I hope Wanda's courage might inspire many other "out to friends" gays in the entertainment industry to step forward and publicly protest this ugly discrimination that affects us all, no matter how far in or out of the closet we are.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 16, 2008 3:24:22 PM

13. Andy Cooper & Queen Latifah...tick tock, kids.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Nov 16, 2008 4:10:55 PM

14. I knew it Wanda - but I love you even more now. Thank you for giving the punch line: straight people choose not to be gay!!! Yes they choose! LOL. I never thought of it that way. Come to Australia Wanda, please, for our Melbourne International Comedy Festival.

Posted by: Alfred | Nov 16, 2008 5:03:37 PM

15. Hurray! Congrats Wanda and welcome out!

Posted by: Giovanni | Nov 16, 2008 5:19:54 PM

16. Rock on funny lady, Rock on!!!

Posted by: Crash | Nov 16, 2008 6:55:08 PM

17. Go GIRL!
    and a DAMN funny comic....puts the MIA Rosie O to shame as a comic AND on this issue.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Nov 16, 2008 7:05:20 PM

18. Hell hath no fury like an angry, black woman.

Posted by: Rad | Nov 16, 2008 9:17:49 PM

19. Wanda, thank you for your candor and for adding your voice to our dissent. I know that you face discrimination and prejudice on several fronts, and that you risk your career by speaking out. But maybe if more people in your position follow your example, then everyone could be "just livin' [their] life" too. Congratulations on your marriage, and best wishes. I've always appreciated your talent.

Posted by: John | Nov 16, 2008 10:17:19 PM

20. She is the funniest woman in the world & I hope she uses her humor to speak out more. She's great angry too. I hope she inspires more people of color to come out publicly - like Queen Latifah, Missy Elliout, Tracy Chapman, & Robin Roberts.

Posted by: scar2 | Nov 17, 2008 8:40:32 AM

21. Way to go Wanda! Now if only a few sports personalities would come out, maybe "mainstream" America would get it.

Posted by: eartone | Nov 17, 2008 9:00:46 AM

22. god, wanda... you make it all better.

Posted by: daisy | Nov 17, 2008 10:52:07 AM

23. Seriously....

Wanda Sykes
    Ellen Degenres
    Rosie O'Donnell
    Paula Poundstone

makes you wonder...

can straight women be funny?

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 17, 2008 1:24:59 PM

24. Kathy Griffin...

Posted by: anon | Nov 17, 2008 3:06:47 PM

25. true, though she makes her jokes by impersonating gay men.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 17, 2008 3:22:35 PM