Barack Obama | Inauguration | News | Rachel Maddow | Rick Warren

BigGayDeal.com

Rachel Maddow: Could Obama Rescind Rick Warren's Invitation?

Maddow

Rachel Maddow discusses the latest Rick Warren developments, and asks if it's possible Obama could rescind the invitation, and what the implications of that might be.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. As Rachel and her guest pointed out, Obama is going to anger a bloc of Americans one way or the other. Unfortunately, the evangelicals are more numerous in this country than the gays, AND ... the gays will forgive him as soon as he does something nice for us, policy-wise.

Rick Warren will speak at the Inauguration. AND ... he should know that we're really mad about it - unfortunately, I don't think that will change anything.

Posted by: Red Seven | Dec 20, 2008 1:22:44 PM

2. As bad as this flap is for Obama now, backing down would only make things worse. He can not afford to give the impression of weakness, indecision, and malleability right at the start of his presidency.

He was a fool to start off this way, and he'd be an even bigger fool to try and fix the situation. Better to be seen as hardhearted and ruthless than whimsically clueless and then desperate to please.

Posted by: Yeek | Dec 20, 2008 1:31:31 PM

3. obama should rescind the invitation, not on the basis of "religion", but on the basis of an error in judgement (a brain fart, as it were). what the hell was he thinking? is this what passes for common sense nowadays? fucking idiot!

Posted by: nic | Dec 20, 2008 1:38:53 PM

4. I love Rachel Maddow. I think Obama was not thinking how bad this would be taken by the gay community and now he can not afford to piss of the right wing.

The stupid thing is that WE voted for him and they didn't, and will not in 2012. Schmuck.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 20, 2008 2:01:18 PM

5. Barack Obama has shown that he does not give a damnn about the GLBT community. More to the point, he is willing to hurt us for his own political gain.

What we need is a million man march to converge on Washington D.C. on Jan 20.

Posted by: John | Dec 20, 2008 3:08:17 PM

6. Barack Obama has shown that he does not give a damnn about the GLBT community. More to the point, he is willing to hurt us for his own political gain.

What we need is a million man march to converge on Washington D.C. on Jan 20.

Posted by: John | Dec 20, 2008 3:08:34 PM

7. Barack Obama has shown that he does not give a damnn about the GLBT community. More to the point, he is willing to hurt us for his own political gain.

What we need is a million man march to converge on Washington D.C. on Jan 20.

Posted by: John | Dec 20, 2008 3:08:49 PM

8. Barack Obama has shown that he does not give a damnn about the GLBT community. More to the point, he is willing to hurt us for his own political gain.

What we need is a million man march to converge on Washington D.C. on Jan 20.

Posted by: John | Dec 20, 2008 3:08:52 PM

9. Barack Obama has shown that he does not give a damnn about the GLBT community. More to the point, he is willing to hurt us for his own political gain.

What we need is a million man march to converge on Washington D.C. on Jan 20.

Posted by: John | Dec 20, 2008 3:08:56 PM

10. I'm sure Obama will be much more careful from now on when it comes to inviting certain people to his events. I don't agree with his inviting rick warren at all, but a small part in me says "I guess he knows what he is doing..."

Posted by: elizabeth templin | Dec 20, 2008 3:10:34 PM

11. I don't get the blind faith that people have in Obama after all the things he has done to hurt us.

Obama continues to make piss poor decisions, and his administration hasn't even begun. Lord help us all.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 20, 2008 3:18:54 PM

12. Barack Obama is an anti-gay bigot. Fuck him!

Posted by: j | Dec 20, 2008 3:38:09 PM

13. Obama made his first major mistake.

He was able to rescind the Wright invite because it hadn't been made public, so it was more straightforward to do - although it did make Wright mad.

It's tougher for him here.

However, he has said "This is also part of the new way of doing business, when we make mistakes we admit them."

He knows by now how big a mistake this, so he has to figure out a way to fix it. It is difficult to thread the needle here, and unlikely they can rescind the invitation now, but I can guarantee you they are going to do something to mollify all of us who were gut-punched here.

By the way, how come he keeps messing up with religious leaders?

Posted by: Patrick M | Dec 20, 2008 4:54:49 PM

14. I love how most gays are now basically "vomiting up the kool-aid" that they drank throughout the entire election process. He may be "the better choice" than far right wingers, however, at least with them we know what we're getting.

And unfortunately I agree with Red Seven. The gay community as a whole will forgive him when he does something nice for us, and kool-aid will be flowing again.

Posted by: BC | Dec 20, 2008 6:12:32 PM

15. I think that Rachel Maddow hung the stars and the moon, and although I voted for Obama, he was wrong to ask Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his swearing-in. Warren is such a sanctimonious dumb nuts that I can't bear to watch him or hear from him. (Rachel, you may need to TALK ME DOWN!)

Posted by: Prince | Dec 20, 2008 6:18:38 PM

16. He could always nudge warren to come up with a family emergency or some such and have him back out on his own.

It is best that Warren is not there and it is best that Obama not seem weak, so twist the F@ckers arm behind the scenes to bail out on his own. Use some of that chicago arm twisting!

:-(

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 20, 2008 6:45:32 PM

17. what do you think the gay community should do in response to this sexual abuse cover at Planned Parenthood? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTxsWZz9whg . I believe in a right to choose but also know we have to defend people from sexual abuse to stay a credible community???

Posted by: Tom | Dec 20, 2008 7:26:34 PM

18. Obama is anti gay. Always has been. Start listening with your ears and not your hearts. This guy is not on our side.

Posted by: steven | Dec 20, 2008 7:46:19 PM

19. He needs to find a way to rescind the invitation and extend it to someone with some actual stature. How in the hell did he overlook Katherine Jefferts-Schori or even Gene Robinson. If you want to talk about change and a New Rebirth of Freedom, then how about walking it, Mr. Obama?

Posted by: Jennifer | Dec 20, 2008 8:14:28 PM

20. Patrick NYC, WE did NOT all vote for him! I posted time and time again that Obama was NOT anymore on our side than any other politician. I just happened to be the one that did not get duped by his wonderful ability to "give a good speach"!

Jimmyboyo, as a Clinton supporter that turned to Obama, how is that working for you now?

WE do not have a friend in the White House, not now nor on 1/20/2009!

Posted by: RB | Dec 20, 2008 8:35:09 PM

21. RB you are an admitted repub and liked mccain

You wouldn't like Obama if he officiated over a gay marriage at the inauguration.

What Obama has done sucks the big one, but he is far and away better than what america would have had under mccain/palin

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 20, 2008 9:15:01 PM

22. Unfortunately, Jimmyboyo, you are correct. It does suck the big one! I would give anything to have been wrong. I would love to have to swallow my words, no pun intended, and say how much you are correct. Really, it is not about right and wrong. When it comes down to you and I, it is about US. It is about being gay. And as much as you would like to think that I am the evil person, the homophobe, I am not. I wish the absolute best for you and for all of us. I just did not drink the koolaid....It is unfortunate that Obama appears to be the person that I thought that he was and no the person that you believed him to be. Trust me, we both lose!!!!!

Take care my friend.... I still respect your thoughts and your posts my brother.

Posted by: RB | Dec 20, 2008 9:25:42 PM

23. Sure, I'd forgive Obama for Wright -- oops, I mean Warren -- if Obama really did turn out to be a fierce advocate for gay people. So far? Fierce is not the word.

Posted by: Glenn I | Dec 20, 2008 9:38:43 PM

24. So, apparently, we should just delay our gratification. Does that mean there's a raging bathhouse orgy awaiting us in heaven if we just hold out?

Posted by: Krebin | Dec 20, 2008 9:44:52 PM

25. Its so funny that you feel Obama has made a mistake. In whose mind? He hasn't said it was a mistake. As a matter of fact, this plays along with his past actions. Touring through the churches with ex-gays, touting the power of prayer to overcome our deviance. He refused to be photographed with the mayor of San Francisco. He has never participated in a gay pride event. Why in the world gays supported him blindly has been bothering me for the last 2 years. He played us like a fiddle. We were bamboozled, hoodwinked. He hasn't said his invitation to Warren was a "boneheaded mistake" like he did when his ties to Rezko were discovered. He had the power to text his supporters before the election and urge them to vote against Prop 8 and Amendment 2 and any number of issues that hurt women and gay people. He couldn't be bothered. Like he said. "Where are they gonna go?" We almost had no mention in the DNC's platform at the convention this year. Wording of Gay Rights were removed from the party platform. Donna Brazille said it was insulting to equate gay rights with civil rights. Some people were not paying attention. They were overcome by a little attention sent their way and flattered to be given access to the Convention. Like a dog thrown a scrap of food.

Posted by: glennmcgahee | Dec 21, 2008 10:15:57 AM