Barack Obama | Inauguration | News | Rick Warren

Rick Warren Says Gays Use Hate Speech, Have 'Christ-O-Phobia'

Rickwarren_2

In a video recorded to his followers at Saddleback, pastor Rick Warren says the media and bloggers who "need to get a life" are lying about his past statements. In an additional segment, he says that "evil" gays (who couldn't possibly be Christian themselves?) are afraid of Christians and have Christ-o-phobia.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recently
Biden, Etheridge Talk Rick Warren as Calls to Dump Him Continue [tr]

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

Comments

1. I swear I just hear a string snap. Melissa Etheridge, how do you like your pastor now?

Posted by: FASTLAD | Dec 23, 2008 12:14:10 PM

2. I guess all those commenters who have told us how silly we've been we're right all along -- Rick Warren really does love us and is open to a dialogue! Why, having a hatemonger ring in the Obama administration is the perfect choice and will instantly be forgotten!

Welcome to more of Rick Warren's fake Christian love. Thanks, Barack! Sorry I voted for you and I won't do it again!

Posted by: ohplease | Dec 23, 2008 12:18:05 PM

3. andy, thank you for being so on top of everything. it's nice to know i can come here and get the real deal.

Posted by: barbara | Dec 23, 2008 12:21:20 PM

4. man, this just gets better and better.

ugh

Posted by: Liz templin | Dec 23, 2008 12:22:07 PM

5. LOL... Right on, OhPlease...

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 23, 2008 12:22:27 PM

6. Andy, did you see that the Chicago Sun-Times posted Tammy's blog (Melissa's gf) about Rick Warren as an OpEd commentary today?

Posted by: Mike | Dec 23, 2008 12:23:45 PM

7. I have obese-o-phobia. Please keep Rick Warren far away from me.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 23, 2008 12:24:39 PM

8. He is just trying to inoculate his congregation against the fact that he has been caught in some lies.

He did compare gays to incest and pedophiles (in multiple interviews where there are transcripts and videos) and told Melissa Etheridge that he regretted doing so. But now he is claiming that he never made those comparisons.

In some interviews he has said that gays should have all civil rights except marriage yet to a Ugandan conference he said gays should have no rights.

He has been caught lying by the spotlight of history as Mike Rogers has said, and now Warren is running for cover and trying to salvage his image as a truthful "Man of God".

Posted by: Josh | Dec 23, 2008 12:25:18 PM

9. backtrack much?? I love the part where he says he can understand why people would think that I equate pedophilia w/ gay relationships...that's b/c you really think that way! douchenozzle!

and, maybe I am christophobic...I think that you are delusional b/c you blindly define your life according to some dude who clerics claim was immaculately concepted and did some fancy parlor tricks. However, there is a problem...he may have never even existed in the first place...and the "good book" was drafted by a bunch of zelots like this d-bag...yeah, I think my foundation is stronger in the reasonable phobia dept, b/c it is actually something to be fearful of!

Posted by: ERB | Dec 23, 2008 12:26:24 PM

10. President elect Obama need to get real if his goal is to help heal the wounds that divide this country. Dumping Rick Warren would be a good first step.

Posted by: steve may | Dec 23, 2008 12:30:32 PM

11. He just admitted something that I've been trying to get Christians to admit for a long time. He said:

"I've never seen an in-print article that has everything right. There's always something that's wrong. Why? Because we're human. And so, you know, if you believe everything you read or hear or see, there's a word for that: foolish."

Sure, he was talking about the media, but doesn't that apply to the Bible as well? Isn't it possible that somewhere, someone got something wrong?

It'd be pretty foolish to base everything you do in life on a book that was written by multiple people over hundreds and hundreds of years and then translated numerous times, probably incorrectly. Surely there's the chance that someone got something wrong in there. But, there's Christians for you.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 23, 2008 12:34:02 PM

12. Wow !, When do we think Mr. Obama will speak to this ?

Posted by: Dave in Cali | Dec 23, 2008 12:35:37 PM

13. PISSED OFF? Do you think putting Rick Warren out there as the spiritual leader of our country and our new President is a rotten deal?

Call Obama's transition team in DC, their phone number is:

202.540.3000, follow prompts.

Posted by: mike in manhattan | Dec 23, 2008 12:36:46 PM

14. And I never said that Rick Warren was pond scum either. Or chicken shit. Or a liar. Or a pathetic closet case. Never said any of those things.

Posted by: homer | Dec 23, 2008 12:37:44 PM

15. First he attacks my "lifestyle."

Now he attacks my religious faith.

Obama, you really need to do something now, or else you'll have at least one angry queen to deal with for the next four years.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 23, 2008 12:42:23 PM

16. Obama is really looking cowardly on this issue. I'm afraid there's no denyin' Obama's just a dandelion. Without the vim and verve.

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 23, 2008 12:44:51 PM

17. Paging DignityUSA, MCC,Integrity, open and affirmating churches with gay members, etc. (most of Catholic clergy too) I think Pastor Warren just called you out and you need to rise up with righteous indignation and set the boy straight.

Posted by: Ed | Dec 23, 2008 12:45:19 PM

18. This is getting interesting.

Is it possible that loud, outraged gay voices are going to force Warren to say something so outrageous and stupid that it will give the President Elect an honorable, and (most important) politically safe route to un--invite him to the inauguration? Interesting. Maybe some of you are more politically savvy than I thought you were...that is if y'all know what you are attempting, and not just ranting.

I wonder what the rest of the American people are making of all this? Not much, they're broke and frightened.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 23, 2008 12:46:31 PM

19. "It takes no compromising to give people their rights. It takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people their freedom" -Harvey Milk(a real FIERCE advocate for GLBT rights).

28 more days to listen to Warrens lies,bullshit and hatred-Thanks for the "dialog" Obama!

Posted by: SFshawn | Dec 23, 2008 12:47:07 PM

20. Christ-o-phobia... or as some would call it: independent thinking.

Posted by: Pbar | Dec 23, 2008 12:50:20 PM

21. Let's keep this in check of the larger reality. Not only is choosing him INSANELY offensive to the GLBT community but really to the country.

Since when does America agree with bullshit? His type of rhetoric is that which is shared with one group of people, the extreme right ring of the Republican Party, and nobody else.

Moderate Republicans, Independents, and Democrats all think the crap he teaches is pure bullshit. Sure, they haven't heard it or even know his name, but Americans largely disagree with the religious right, even if they vote their way (that has a lot more with personal psychology than issues).

This pick is a slap to everyone in the face who lives above the Mason-Dixon line or who has a brain and knows that any God wouldn't teach that two people in love is like a person and their dog.

Posted by: Andrew | Dec 23, 2008 12:52:37 PM

22. I actually do have a sort of "Christ-o-phobia". I'm afraid of Christians! I'm actually afraid of all "religious" types in general. Usually because they use their book (Bible, Koran, whatever) to tell me how inherently evil I am and that I will swim in a lake of fire for all eternity. So, yea. Kind of Christophic here. Yep!

And can we please replace the word homophobia? "Homophobics" aren't afraid of gays. They hate gays. They want to hurt us. I'm afraid of them! I don't see them being afraid of me.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 23, 2008 12:56:34 PM

23. Melissa Etheridge misses the point. First I would have to say where the hell has she been: “I hadn't heard of Pastor Rick Warren before all of this.” Secondly she thinks Warren is not a “gay-hater” because he has bought her albums. Big deal. That is like saying a rapist isn’t really a rapist because he mentioned love or bought a condom. Is she that naive? Or am I that dumb? If one were to follow her logic, then gays are relegated to being hairdressers, florists, interior designers, and entertainers.

She talks about how Warren regrets his choice of words but this is the standard “MO” for these right wing nut bags. They spew hateful remarks and when the heat is turned on they either proclaim it was taken out of context or that they misspoke. No. The truth comes out first and the lies try to cover-up the truth. Pastor Warren truly hates gays. In my heart I believe this. And if you think that he doesn’t because he is helping Africa with their AIDS crisis I want to remind you that AIDS in Africa is primarily a straight disease. Why not work with gay AIDS victims here in this country. Thousands need support, love, and medical care – especially when state’s are cutting budgets. Yet Warren offers nothing. And if you are gay, you can’t seek spiritual guidance and membership in his church because you are banned from joining if you are a “practicing” homosexual. He likens homosexuality to incest, pedophilia, and bestiality. He lied during Prop 8 by saying free speech of pastor’s will be taken away if it passes. That teachers will indoctrinate our young, impressionable children. He’s not a gay hater is he Melissa? Appeasement no longer works. It is time the GLBT stand up for our equality once and for all.

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 23, 2008 12:58:05 PM

24. Melissa Etheridge misses the point. First I would have to say where the hell has she been: “I hadn't heard of Pastor Rick Warren before all of this.” Secondly she thinks Warren is not a “gay-hater” because he has bought her albums. Big deal. That is like saying a rapist isn’t really a rapist because he mentioned love or bought a condom. Is she that naive? Or am I that dumb? If one were to follow her logic, then gays are relegated to being hairdressers, florists, interior designers, and entertainers.

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 23, 2008 12:58:46 PM

25. I think we should all join the new social network he touts at the end of the second clip so that he can show us some cyber-love.

Posted by: DC Guy | Dec 23, 2008 12:59:05 PM