News | Ricky Martin

Ricky Martin Shows Off His Twin Boys Valentino and Matteo

Rickymartin

Martin, who had the boys via a surrogate mother, tells People: "I don't have a nanny. I'm doing this on my own because I don't want to miss a moment. I have a personal assistant who helps me, someone who takes care of me while I'm taking care of them, but I'm the one who changes the diapers, the one that feeds them, the one that bathes them, the one that puts them to sleep. For any parent, the first couple of months tend to get a little bit intense...Adoption was one option, but it's complicated and can take a long time. Surrogacy was an intriguing and faster option. I thought, 'I'm going to jump into this with no fear.'...I love to read books to my sons and tell them stories. I play music for them so they develop their own personalities. I want to give them information and raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance."

Previously
Ricky Martin Buys His Own Island [tr]
Ricky Martin Gives Naked Thrill in Hotel Sauna [tr]
Ricky Martin Shows Puerto Rico What He's Made Of [tr]
Ricky Martin Outed by Hollywood Skincare Guru Ole Henriksen? [tr]

<Rm

Comments

1. I certainly HOPE he's not gay, because this would give ammunition to those who say gays aren't good parents.

I mean, look at how he's holding those children -- he looks like he's going to drop them both. The one on his left arm is going to fall overboard, and the one on the right is going to slip under his armpit.

Plus, he's holding them by the crotch, and that can't be comfortable.

Posted by: Rob F. | Dec 10, 2008 9:26:38 AM

2. The picture of Ricky Martin with his twins is adorable. It's wonderful that he's enjoying fatherhood. He talks about wanting to raise his sons with "honesty." Maybe he could think about applying that principle to his own life a little more.

Posted by: Brendan | Dec 10, 2008 9:27:07 AM

3. "raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance." Irony Alert!!!!

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 10, 2008 9:27:26 AM

4. The picture of Ricky Martin with his twins is adorable. It's wonderful that he's enjoying fatherhood. He talks about wanting to raise his sons with "honesty." Maybe he could think about applying that principle to his own life a little more.

Posted by: Brendan | Dec 10, 2008 9:29:26 AM

5. Uh Rob, Have you ever held a child? The manner in which Ricky is holding his sons is exactly how one person holds two babies at one time. Comfortable for whom? The babies are wearing diapers which pads them well and also lets the holder get a firm grip on them. I second Bendan's remarks that a good start on raising his sons with honesty, self-esteem and acceptance would be for their father to admit to himself and others who and what he is, a gay man.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 10, 2008 9:43:59 AM

6. What does a closet case know about honesty and self-esteem???

Posted by: wisebear | Dec 10, 2008 9:54:24 AM

7. I have never seen anyone ever hold a baby like that (by the crotch area). Though I must admit that I haven't been surrounded by tons of babies throughout my life.

Maybe its me, but seriously, is that a normal way for anyone to hold a baby?

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 10, 2008 9:56:19 AM

8. I'm pretty sure Ricky Martin has told himself he's a gay man. Stop being a hater that he hasn't told you yet.

Posted by: Joey | Dec 10, 2008 9:56:53 AM

9. I've held many many babies in my life and yes, that is a perfectly fine and comfortable way to hold them.

Posted by: secretagentman | Dec 10, 2008 10:04:18 AM

10. @JOEY - the mainstream media is also complicit in the closeting of celebrities. You think there's not another guy just outside of camera range? Journalists have no trouble asking personal questions of straight celebrities, but with gay ones either "don't ask don;'t tell", or allow vague nonsense like Ricky' comments to go unclarified. You can bet if a straight celebrity had weighed the options of adoption and surrogacy, we'd know WHY... i.e. "Jen's Barren Womb! Surrogacy only option... Angelina's fertile eggs 'Uncool'!"

Glad he is happy.
    Glad his kids are happy.
    Hope to see his People cover soon.

@ROB, maybe it's the way to hold a baby, maybe not, but he can grab me by the crotch any time. Any. time.

Posted by: Strepsi | Dec 10, 2008 10:06:19 AM

11. Holy shit, those babies are cute! I hope the honesty with which Martin wants to raise them and the love he clearly gives them will somehow boomerang back onto himself, clearing the way for him finally to admit that he's gay. Don't matter how many babies he's got or islands he owns, he still must feel empty and hurt. Come on! Come out! It feels great!

(P.S. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference, but wouldn't it have been grand if we all had Martin's money when we were coming out? I mean, with that amount of money, you could come out, get a security detail (if that sort of thing worries you), and be like, "Hey, suck it, assholes! I'm queer! In fact, I'm gonna wear a Halston cocktail gown down to Arby's, order three pulled pork sandwiches with extra sauce, and sing 'Maybe this Time' to the crowd while chowing down! What YOU gonna do about it?! I'm rich!" Oh, wait, that may not be everyone else's coming-out re-do fantasy...alas, poverty, Levi's and brown rice await my gay ass...)

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Dec 10, 2008 10:11:39 AM

12. I have always thought it was weird to hold babies like that, but I have seen it done many, many times. The babies don't seem to mind or to even notice. Until they can hold up their own heads, you can't really have them sit on your forearm. Thus, this is the only way to hold them securely if you only have one free arm.

Again, those babies are damn cute.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Dec 10, 2008 10:17:15 AM

13. By the way, Ricky Martin is Bi. So he has to admit nothing regarding the gay issue. But well, in a Black and White world, everthing has to be one way or another... Sort of.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Dec 10, 2008 11:12:50 AM

14. It's time to come out Ricky so we can all have self esteem.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 10, 2008 11:22:14 AM

15. It's time to come out Ricky so we can all have self esteem.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 10, 2008 11:23:21 AM

16. He seems to have lost the pregnancy weight in record time.
    (He is still super hot no matter how deep in the closet he is.)

Posted by: Russ | Dec 10, 2008 11:44:51 AM

17. Cute as 2 buttons , good for Ricky , he will come out when ready . it is not always needed , or the best thing to flaunt . sorry to say , his actions speak louder . let the man have his way & make a living . being out could & would limit his career or should i say income so he is taking the safe road . We have to stop being so prissy on celebs coming out !

Posted by: michael | Dec 10, 2008 11:46:31 AM

18. Anyone whose ever had children knows that there is nothing weird or unusual about the way Ricky is holding his sons. It is perfectly normal and, especially when holding two children of your own that you have an intimate comfort with, is a very common way to hold them. Babies aren't nearly a fragile as some people think.

I will say that Ricky always seems to speak in thinly veiled code speak as if he's trying to scream something to the rooftops that he can't just say out loud. I wish him all the best and if he is gay and wants to come out publicly I hope he takes a lesson from Clay Aiken and uses this opportunity to do so. That would one of the most effective ways to "give them information and raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance." Of course one doesn't have to be out to a world of strangers to be out. He could very well be out to everyone in the world who's important to him and when it comes down to it, even though he could be a role model to many others (especially latino) people struggling to come out, it's no one else's business unless he chooses to make it so. He seems to be a very intelligent and thoughtful man. I'm sure he will do what's best for himself and his family.

Rock on Ricky!

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 10, 2008 11:52:58 AM

19. Ultimately RM is living his life the way he chooses to, so congrats to both him and his baby boys.

Posted by: j-cl | Dec 10, 2008 11:58:59 AM

20. LEXXVS,

And you know this to be a fact how?

Unless you know him personally and he personally told you about his sexual orientation your claim is just as much conjecture as gay people who say that he's 100% gay or female fans who say he's 100% straight.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 10, 2008 12:11:12 PM

21. Admittedly, I'm not a baby person. But those babies have old man face. Are they suffering from Benjamin Button's disease?

Posted by: crispy | Dec 10, 2008 12:36:12 PM

22. Yeah, it'd be nice if he could be open about what's obvious. But I'm too worried about my own stuff to be concerned with his. I do, however, have a problem with someone at his income level pissing on adoption because "it's complicated and can take a long time." At his income level, adoption is not nearly as complicated as it is for the scores of working-class parents who choose it every day. For someone who advocates so publicly on the soapbox of human rights and dignity, it's disappointing to have him not realize that.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 10, 2008 1:04:28 PM

23. Geez! Leave the guy alone! Is that all anybody here can do is prissy-wring-your-hands "Ricky hasn't come out yet"? Let the guy live his life in peace, for chrissake! Has he ever done any harm to gays by living a discreet life? Does everybody have to come out to satisfy the Distressed Marys here? Lord have mercy, get a life!

Posted by: mike | Dec 10, 2008 1:04:36 PM

24. He's such the hottie. However, definitely time for him to come out (and I hope he can make some more killer songs once his kids are in school)

Posted by: Pecos Bill | Dec 10, 2008 2:17:29 PM

25. how in the world is he not out yet?!?

Posted by: ryan | Dec 10, 2008 2:48:04 PM