Ricky Martin Shows Off His Twin Boys Valentino and Matteo

Rickymartin

Martin, who had the boys via a surrogate mother, tells People: “I don’t have a nanny. I’m doing this on my own because I don’t want to miss a moment. I have a personal assistant who helps me, someone who takes care of me while I’m taking care of them, but I’m the one who changes the diapers, the one that feeds them, the one that bathes them, the one that puts them to sleep. For any parent, the first couple of months tend to get a little bit intense…Adoption was one option, but it’s complicated and can take a long time. Surrogacy was an intriguing and faster option. I thought, ‘I’m going to jump into this with no fear.’…I love to read books to my sons and tell them stories. I play music for them so they develop their own personalities. I want to give them information and raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance.”

Previously
Ricky Martin Buys His Own Island [tr]
Ricky Martin Gives Naked Thrill in Hotel Sauna [tr]
Ricky Martin Shows Puerto Rico What He’s Made Of [tr]
Ricky Martin Outed by Hollywood Skincare Guru Ole Henriksen? [tr]

<Rm

Comments

1. Rob F. says

I certainly HOPE he’s not gay, because this would give ammunition to those who say gays aren’t good parents.

I mean, look at how he’s holding those children — he looks like he’s going to drop them both. The one on his left arm is going to fall overboard, and the one on the right is going to slip under his armpit.

Plus, he’s holding them by the crotch, and that can’t be comfortable.

2. Brendan says

The picture of Ricky Martin with his twins is adorable. It’s wonderful that he’s enjoying fatherhood. He talks about wanting to raise his sons with “honesty.” Maybe he could think about applying that principle to his own life a little more.

3. ggreen says

“raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance.” Irony Alert!!!!

4. Brendan says

5. rudy says

Uh Rob, Have you ever held a child? The manner in which Ricky is holding his sons is exactly how one person holds two babies at one time. Comfortable for whom? The babies are wearing diapers which pads them well and also lets the holder get a firm grip on them. I second Bendan’s remarks that a good start on raising his sons with honesty, self-esteem and acceptance would be for their father to admit to himself and others who and what he is, a gay man.

6. Jimmyboyo says

I have never seen anyone ever hold a baby like that (by the crotch area). Though I must admit that I haven’t been surrounded by tons of babies throughout my life.

Maybe its me, but seriously, is that a normal way for anyone to hold a baby?

7. Joey says

I’m pretty sure Ricky Martin has told himself he’s a gay man. Stop being a hater that he hasn’t told you yet.

8. secretagentman says

I’ve held many many babies in my life and yes, that is a perfectly fine and comfortable way to hold them.

9. Strepsi says

@JOEY – the mainstream media is also complicit in the closeting of celebrities. You think there’s not another guy just outside of camera range? Journalists have no trouble asking personal questions of straight celebrities, but with gay ones either “don’t ask don;’t tell”, or allow vague nonsense like Ricky’ comments to go unclarified. You can bet if a straight celebrity had weighed the options of adoption and surrogacy, we’d know WHY… i.e. “Jen’s Barren Womb! Surrogacy only option… Angelina’s fertile eggs ‘Uncool’!”

Glad he is happy.
    Glad his kids are happy.
    Hope to see his People cover soon.

@ROB, maybe it’s the way to hold a baby, maybe not, but he can grab me by the crotch any time. Any. time.

10. Andalusian Dog says

Holy shit, those babies are cute! I hope the honesty with which Martin wants to raise them and the love he clearly gives them will somehow boomerang back onto himself, clearing the way for him finally to admit that he’s gay. Don’t matter how many babies he’s got or islands he owns, he still must feel empty and hurt. Come on! Come out! It feels great!

(P.S. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference, but wouldn’t it have been grand if we all had Martin’s money when we were coming out? I mean, with that amount of money, you could come out, get a security detail (if that sort of thing worries you), and be like, “Hey, suck it, assholes! I’m queer! In fact, I’m gonna wear a Halston cocktail gown down to Arby’s, order three pulled pork sandwiches with extra sauce, and sing ‘Maybe this Time’ to the crowd while chowing down! What YOU gonna do about it?! I’m rich!” Oh, wait, that may not be everyone else’s coming-out re-do fantasy…alas, poverty, Levi’s and brown rice await my gay ass…)

11. Andalusian Dog says

I have always thought it was weird to hold babies like that, but I have seen it done many, many times. The babies don’t seem to mind or to even notice. Until they can hold up their own heads, you can’t really have them sit on your forearm. Thus, this is the only way to hold them securely if you only have one free arm.

Again, those babies are damn cute.

12. Lexxvs says

By the way, Ricky Martin is Bi. So he has to admit nothing regarding the gay issue. But well, in a Black and White world, everthing has to be one way or another… Sort of.

13. Russ says

He seems to have lost the pregnancy weight in record time.
    (He is still super hot no matter how deep in the closet he is.)

14. michael says

Cute as 2 buttons , good for Ricky , he will come out when ready . it is not always needed , or the best thing to flaunt . sorry to say , his actions speak louder . let the man have his way & make a living . being out could & would limit his career or should i say income so he is taking the safe road . We have to stop being so prissy on celebs coming out !

15. Zeke says

Anyone whose ever had children knows that there is nothing weird or unusual about the way Ricky is holding his sons. It is perfectly normal and, especially when holding two children of your own that you have an intimate comfort with, is a very common way to hold them. Babies aren’t nearly a fragile as some people think.

I will say that Ricky always seems to speak in thinly veiled code speak as if he’s trying to scream something to the rooftops that he can’t just say out loud. I wish him all the best and if he is gay and wants to come out publicly I hope he takes a lesson from Clay Aiken and uses this opportunity to do so. That would one of the most effective ways to “give them information and raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance.” Of course one doesn’t have to be out to a world of strangers to be out. He could very well be out to everyone in the world who’s important to him and when it comes down to it, even though he could be a role model to many others (especially latino) people struggling to come out, it’s no one else’s business unless he chooses to make it so. He seems to be a very intelligent and thoughtful man. I’m sure he will do what’s best for himself and his family.

Rock on Ricky!

16. Zeke says

LEXXVS,

And you know this to be a fact how?

Unless you know him personally and he personally told you about his sexual orientation your claim is just as much conjecture as gay people who say that he’s 100% gay or female fans who say he’s 100% straight.

17. crispy says

Admittedly, I’m not a baby person. But those babies have old man face. Are they suffering from Benjamin Button’s disease?

18. Jay says

Yeah, it’d be nice if he could be open about what’s obvious. But I’m too worried about my own stuff to be concerned with his. I do, however, have a problem with someone at his income level pissing on adoption because “it’s complicated and can take a long time.” At his income level, adoption is not nearly as complicated as it is for the scores of working-class parents who choose it every day. For someone who advocates so publicly on the soapbox of human rights and dignity, it’s disappointing to have him not realize that.

19. mike says

Geez! Leave the guy alone! Is that all anybody here can do is prissy-wring-your-hands “Ricky hasn’t come out yet”? Let the guy live his life in peace, for chrissake! Has he ever done any harm to gays by living a discreet life? Does everybody have to come out to satisfy the Distressed Marys here? Lord have mercy, get a life!

20. says

He’s such the hottie. However, definitely time for him to come out (and I hope he can make some more killer songs once his kids are in school)

21. kimmer says

What an adorable picture! Congratulations to Ricky and his boys.

And I have never read such a bitter string of posts. Get off your high horses, bitches. I mean, seriously, what’s left about PM to ‘out’?

22. StopItHaters says

Ricky’s hands compared to their bodies means that it’s like they are sitting down. He’s not holding them by the balls but supporting their entire butts. And if you want to go off about someone raising kids look at your own or your relatives who have f*d up issues.

I think Ricky is amazing as a parent and a gay man. Some people are just private. If I were straight I would never talk about my family with anyone other than family because that’s how I am. Leave the man alone and stop being jealous and hating your own lives.

23. says

Congrats to Ricky—the three of them look adorable. I hope he has someone to co-parent with so that it’s not all on him. I know it helps keep me sane to have a partner in the parenting odyssey.

As for surrogacy vs. adoption, I’m a BIG fan of adoption. There are so many kids waiting for a good, stable, nurturing home. But I’d also have to agree that adoption is complicated in almost every case, and sometimes more so if you’re gay or single. At the risk of going OT, here’s my quick and dirty run-down on adoption options:

1. Foster-to-adopt: our favorite and it brought us the most perfect son ever (not that we’re biased or anything). Good: range of ages available, cheap, socially responsible. Bad: complex birth families, slow process after placement.

2. International: pretty much out of the question for gays now.

3. Open adoption where birth mother chooses you: you can wait twice as long for a placement as a gay couple (18-24 mos.). Can be expensive. Good: once you’re chosen, it’s pretty great.

4. Private adoption: expensive, long wait. Good: once there’s a match, it’s pretty great.

With any of these options, there’s always the risk that there’s some undisclosed issue in the background. But having/raising a child is always a crap-shoot. You know, like life.

P.S. If you’re interested in babysitting our perfect son for a week or so, let me know. dr

24. says

Oops! #3 should read: twice as long as a STRAIGHT couple (though some moms-to-be will like the idea of being the only mom in the “adoption triad”). Also, you’re pretty much out of luck as a single.

25. Jay says

OT or not, that was a great rundown David! Is adoption often complicated? Yes. But it’s (for the most part) also hugely rewarding for all involved.

26. Jerry says

Ricky martin is one of the nicest genuine and humanitarian celebrities, wish that more celebrities have the integrity that he has.

Do not confused being discreet and private with honesty. If you haters and looser like Rudy think you can judge anyone without knowing someone.

Ricky always have been private with personal life, and he is not the only one, look at : Oprah, Tom Cruise, Keane Reeves, Ryan Seacrest, Queen Latifah and many others.

27. shell says

He should come out and say whether he is or isn’t.If he is then its is like he is ashamed-because so many have come out and said yes they were gay. There is nothing to be ashamed of so-say yes or no already.He will kill my fantasies about him and I but I can deal with that.

28. shell says