Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Jay Leno | News | Proposition 8 | Television | Wanda Sykes

Wanda Sykes Talks Prop 8 on The Tonight Show

Sykes

Wanda Sykes appeared on The Tonight Show last night and spent the first segment of her appearance talking about Day without a Gay, coming out, and the fight against Proposition 8.

Said Sykes: "The sad thing is like over 80 million dollars was spent on Prop 8 and the California food banks - their shelves are bare. So instead of spending your money on hate why don't you buy a couple cans of pork and beans? Buy some food. Pork and beans, they tick to your ribs, they don't dill you up like hate, you know?"

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Love Wanda Sykes!!!! She is very funny and a good proponent of the gay movement.

Posted by: RB | Dec 11, 2008 8:54:08 AM

2. Wanda is the BEST! I remember her working at the Woodie's Department Store in downtown DC...she was a laugh riot then always keeping the customers and employees entertained.

Posted by: Bojo | Dec 11, 2008 9:11:16 AM

3. That was awesome! I also like the fact that she mentioned sex. So often we downplay the fact that we have actually have sex because of the perceived 'ick' factor for straights. Just a gentle reminder that sexual intimacy is one of the rights (or privileges, or benefits) associated with marriage.

And besides, if the anti's want gay people to stop having sex, they should make marriage MANDATORY for GLBT people! :-)

Posted by: tjc | Dec 11, 2008 9:29:46 AM

4. Wanda might end up with her own show if the networks are on the ball.
    her T-shirt rocked, and the audience loved her!
    unfortunately Jay degraded into "straight guy lusting over lesbo action" territory, but Jay does what he does.

Posted by: Pbar | Dec 11, 2008 9:36:36 AM

5. PBAR-- you're right, of course ("hot lesbo action!"). But I still think it's good to remind folks -- gently -- about sex once in a while.

Not all the time, but now and then.

A (gay) friend once told me his (straight) coworker was jealous of gay men, "because you can get oral sex, practically on demand!"

Posted by: tjc | Dec 11, 2008 9:40:59 AM

6. Wanda is the bomb.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 11, 2008 9:58:58 AM

7. i love you wanda!

Posted by: wisebear | Dec 11, 2008 10:05:55 AM

8. Thanks for the reminder on morality. Any church can spend millions on hate while its congregation goes hungry and do nothing. That must be in the bible, somewhere. WWJD?

Posted by: 2nd Class Citizen | Dec 11, 2008 10:07:32 AM

9. I love the ads for mormonism under that video!

Posted by: me | Dec 11, 2008 10:35:19 AM

10. A year ago I would never have imagined that Wanda Sykes would soon become one of the most visible, vocal and effective spokespersons for gay rights.

You ROCK Wanda!

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 11, 2008 1:24:07 PM

11. and speaking of Wanda coming out - last nights episode of "The New Adventures of Old Christine" had to do with Bigotry & discrimination towards LGBT people....coincedence? I think not....part 2 episode next wed 8pm....Thank u Wanda!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 11, 2008 2:42:16 PM

12. My love for Wanda keeps growing. Hearing her talking about getting up at that rally in Vegas, I had the sense it wasn't what she wanted to do, but what she did do, because it was the right thing to do. Same with talking gay marriage on Leno. I felt she was talking about it because she knows it's important, not because she's completely comfortable being placed in the role of gay spokesperson. I hope other celebrities take notes from a class act with a dirty (in a good way) mouth.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 11, 2008 6:29:05 PM

13. Alright, given how much ass she's kicking as an out, proud and hilarious person in the mainstream media. I think the time has come for Anderson Cooper and Jodie Foster to come the fuck out.

After all, there's only so many times we can send NPH on the Tonight Show.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Dec 11, 2008 8:10:29 PM

14. She is an angel!!! And thanks to Jay Leno for being a strong, straight ally!

Posted by: Jim | Dec 11, 2008 10:35:02 PM

15. Wanda also puts a nail in the coffin of the "gay rights are not like racial or women's rights" argument. She's all three. I'd love to hear her answer that argument.

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | Dec 11, 2008 11:39:27 PM