Daniel Radcliffe | Kevin Sessums | News | Robert Pattinson | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Daniel Radcliffe: Yes, I am a Fag Hag

In an interview in The Daily Beast, Kevin Sessums talks to Daniel Radcliffe about Barack Obama, Prince Harry's racist video, the poet John Keats, boarding schools, and performing in musicals.

RadcliffeRadcliffe also says he relishes the attention he gets from gay men: "...for a lot of straight guys—and I know I’m guilty of it sometimes—when you know a gay guy has a crush on you it is the most flattering thing."

Admitting to the political incorrectness of the term, Sessums asks Radcliffe, if, like many straight actors, he's a "fag hag" (actually, I think the proper term is stag hag or fag stag, or perhaps in Radcliffe's case, stallion hag).

Says Radcliffe: "Oh, yeah. I know I definitely caught it. Absolutely. My mom was a casting director and my dad was a literary agent and I was surrounded by gay men from a very young age. And I was the only boy in my class at school who had that kind of relationship with gay men. Most of my friends had parents who had proper jobs in banks and law firms so none of them had been exposed to homosexuality in the way I had—as a normal course of things. So they had a rather different attitude toward it than I."

They also discuss Radcliffe's Brit rival for the hearts of movie fans, Twilight's Robert Pattinson.

Says Radcliffe: "I don’t have his number, so haven’t spoken to him. But I can safely say that his insisting that girls would choose me over him that they would not. That they do not. He is the much prettier and can be much more charming. And he can do that thing of being sultry and sexy...I don’t know how to be sexy. Rob can just sort of stand there and look at something and start to smolder. And I just can’t do that. I’m a natural fidget."

Sessums' sequel to his bestselling memoir Mississippi Sissy, was just sold to St. Martin's Press. I Left it on the Mountain is set for publication in 2010. Sessums writes theatre reviews for Towleroad.

Dirty Harry [the daily beast]

Watch the trailer for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh, Daniel. You're smoldering to me.

Posted by: David T | Jan 26, 2009 9:38:55 AM

2. Meee too, so hot.

Posted by: SONNIE | Jan 26, 2009 9:58:43 AM

3. I am worried that at 35, I am lusting over this young man (I've always liked guys older than me). I see the posters for Equus everywhere in the city and I drool.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 26, 2009 10:26:43 AM

4. ANDY: THE CORRECT TERM IS "FAG STAG"
    A straight guy who relishes attention and affection from gay men. Notable Fag Stags:
    Hugh Jackman
    Sting
    Enrique Iglesias
    rugby player Ben Cohen (even held a gay night for his gay fans)
    actor Philip Olivier (did beefcake calendar, even guest judged Mr. Gay UK)
    Daniel Radcliffe

... notice how none are American?

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 26, 2009 10:28:28 AM

5. Its fag stag, not stag hag, lol.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 26, 2009 10:32:25 AM

6. I think its "fag stag" not stag hag, at least that is waht my straight boy admirer calls himself...

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 26, 2009 10:55:11 AM

7. It's actually either fag stag or stag hag according to the urban dictionary.

Posted by: Tommy Girl | Jan 26, 2009 11:09:57 AM

8. thank you guys for all your input.

Posted by: andy | Jan 26, 2009 11:10:55 AM

9. Whatever it's called, it describes about 95 percent of my straight male friends. And they're all American. Though it's them who flirt with me, and me who's vaguely annoyed by it.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 26, 2009 11:34:20 AM

10. add Marcus from the last season of Survivor. He is american and definitely a whatever-you-all-it that means a straight man who longs for and basks in the attention of gay men.

Posted by: Dan B | Jan 26, 2009 11:43:38 AM

11. Oh joyous day! TWO shots of good news:
    1. Daniel Radcliffe likes the gays.
    2. Kevin Sessums' sequel to Mississippi Sissy is coming soon.
    Yeah!

Posted by: Adagio | Jan 26, 2009 11:44:14 AM

12. Hugh - not straight. Gay with a beard.

Enrique - hmmm. "dating" forever a woman who reminds me of a lesbian friend. And yes he has received a bj from males. I know someone who did that during the "Sad Eyes" video directed by David LaChappelle.

So these 2 ... not Fag Stags.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 26, 2009 2:53:02 PM

13. Whatever you care to call him, Mr. Radcliffe is an intelligent, charming young man who seems completely at ease with his gay fans. Lucky us! And all the best to him. I can't wait to see him on stage in a musical.

Posted by: Smartypants | Jan 26, 2009 3:27:37 PM

14. ... notice how none are American?

I guess Brody Jenner is a trailblazer here in America

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 26, 2009 7:08:44 PM

15. I just LOVE Danielle Radcliff! I find his discussion refreshing and not offensive in any way with his "fag hag" or whatever terms. I have actually thought which I would rather have, him or Rob Pattinson... I think I want to keep thinking about it for a while! :-)

Posted by: Jim | Jan 26, 2009 8:57:55 PM

16. I want to ride Daniel's horsey.

Posted by: Wheezy | Jan 26, 2009 9:19:48 PM

17. I am a little shocked after reading this article. So does this mean Daniel Radcliffe is gay or straight? Hopefully someone will answer that question for me. BTW what is a fag stag? I'm straight so I've never heard of that. I don't have a problem with gay people. My uncles gay and my best friend taylor is a lezbian. I would still like Daniel even if he's gay. It would just be a little disapionting cause I couldn't date him then. At least I could be friends with him.

Posted by: Christie | Jan 27, 2009 9:54:11 AM

18. Beautiful - and Brilliant!

Posted by: christian pell | Feb 1, 2009 3:15:15 AM

19. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag_stag#Coming_out "Another motivation for some fag stags is that they are still in the process of coming out or coming to terms with their homosexuality or bisexuality":)

Posted by: chadell | Mar 1, 2009 12:13:29 PM

20. Daniel...I love you more now. I'm a fag hag and it is WAY too hard to find straight men who are ok with that. And btw Andy...I'm pretty sure Enrique likes attention from gay men because he IS gay

Posted by: Chelsey | Mar 12, 2009 12:39:02 AM

21. UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Daniel Radcliffe is not a gay you guys!!! He Likes girls and only girls!! you know how i know cause im his girlfriend and hopefully we will be getting married someday in the future! And maybe yall havnt heard of Danial having a gf is because i dont want cameras all over me! im not so used to it. so heres the thing BACK OFF MY BOYFRIEND! I Love him so much he means the world to me so yea fuck all you dumb ass people out there who thinks hes gay god damn you fucked up fucking people are so fucking stupid and i hate stupid people i want them to shove it up their asses or ill kill them!! I Love you Daniel so much!! ♥Kisses my love♥

Daniel's Girlfriend

Posted by: Unnamed for now | Apr 9, 2009 9:00:06 PM

22. I stopped hanging out with fag stags a LONG time ago. You see, I developed this habit of falling in love with them and systematically driving them away. I think there is a reason why gay guys hang out with girls...

Posted by: Jeremy | May 13, 2009 10:17:37 AM

23. LOL @ "Daniel's Girlfriend"--yeah right, you and a billion other anonymous crazed HP fans are his "girlfriend". The closest you've come to his penis is stroking the covers of your BOP magazines. DanRad is indeed gay as all Hell.

Posted by: John | Jul 7, 2009 10:17:35 AM