Democratic Party | Inauguration | Jerrold Nadler | New York | News | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Inauguration Extras:
Towleroad interview with New York Congressman Jerrold Nadler

Nadler

On the first night we were in Washington, DC for the inauguration, we had a few moments at the DNC Party with New York Congressman Jerrold Nadler, whose constituency falls along the west side of Manhattan and portions of Brooklyn.

Nadler is the chief author of the Uniting American Families Act, which seeks to eliminate discrimination in the immigration laws by permitting permanent partners of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents to obtain lawful permanent resident status in the same manner as spouses of citizens and lawful permanent residents.

Corey Johnson talked to Nadler about whether the changes in Congressional leadership would mean the UAFA would be going to committee and then possibly to a vote.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It's chops!

Posted by: TANK | Jan 22, 2009 7:15:39 PM

2. This man should be the new senator from NY. I don't know why his name isn't in the mix already.

Posted by: Adam | Jan 22, 2009 7:49:25 PM

3. I hope this Act comes up to vote AND passes!

Posted by: Eric | Jan 22, 2009 8:02:49 PM

4. Thanks once again, Corey, for bringing this issue to the forefront here on Towleroad. We are hoping that our bi-national families will finally get our rights and finally have the freedoms to make life choices that many gay couples take for granted.

Posted by: Carmen | Jan 22, 2009 8:10:09 PM

5. Let's hope. I love my life overseas, but it's time to at least have the option to come home - with my family.

Not yet, I know, but somehow it seems a lot closer than it did last month.

Posted by: Muscato | Jan 23, 2009 1:18:23 AM

6. I'm hoping and praying that the UAFA comes to a vote and is passed. For too long we have been discriminated against. It's time for all of us to be on equal footing when it comes to immigration.

Thank you Rep. Nadler for being so passionate advocate for bi-national couples. You make me and my partner feel less alone.

Posted by: ALAN | Jan 23, 2009 1:23:03 PM

7. Thanks for this story. The Uniting American Families Act is definitely achievable in this administration, and I think it's even something that most "middle of the bell curve" Americans would support as a matter of of basic fairness, so passing it shouldn't use up all that much of anyone's political capital. Go Congressman Nadler, go UAFA. Yay.

Also ... um hai thar Corey. Blush.

Posted by: Distingué Traces | Jan 23, 2009 10:19:08 PM

8. Jerry Nadler was my congressman, before I moved (now it's Charlie Rangel). I hope he gets a chance at some leadership here in the new Congress.

But Corey: don't get so close to the mic! Nadler sounded so much clearer (with a bit of distance from the mic) than you did, and you were the interviewer!

Posted by: DAB | Jan 25, 2009 1:24:03 PM