Lady Gaga | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lady Gaga Shows Her Acoustic 'Poker Face'

Pokerface

You may have seen Lady Gaga's video for "Poker Face". If you're not familiar, follow this link, which will take you to the recorded version that I haven't been able to get out of my head for days.

Now, for those of you who thought she was all a smoke and mirrors synthesized production, watch her perform the acoustic version, AFTER THE JUMP...

Those Christina Aguilera comparisons don't seem too far off now, do they...

Comments

1. Wow, this is awesome! I love her.

Posted by: Toby | Jan 7, 2009 5:40:41 PM

2. I've always said she's the love child of Christina Aguilera and Gwen Stefani.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 7, 2009 5:41:24 PM

3. She has a good voice, but she's nowhere near as good as Christina. Not even close.

Posted by: Agent Orange | Jan 7, 2009 5:51:56 PM

4. I love her. She's amazing.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 7, 2009 5:52:16 PM

5. ok, so i've listened samples, i've been to her myspace page and listened to entire songs and i'm not sure what the big deal is. she's a good singer and everything but she's not doing anything that's groundbreaking or innovative. it still sounds like run of the mill corporate-driven music.

Posted by: alguien | Jan 7, 2009 5:59:10 PM

6. Um, is it just me or does she seem a bit like a whack job.

Posted by: Shirley! | Jan 7, 2009 6:18:29 PM

7. Now now, don't be knocking the latest sparkly item on the shelves. Even if it is cheaply made and won't last a week.

Posted by: Protogenes | Jan 7, 2009 6:53:14 PM

8. She is marvelous. Thankfully, she comes across as fun and quirky instead of arrogant and obnoxious, like Xtina.

Posted by: stan | Jan 7, 2009 6:53:39 PM

- She can write
    - She can dance
    - She can play an instrument
    - She has a personality
    - She comes across as genuine and loves her job
    - She is a big fan of the gays and open about her own sexuality

but her music still sounds like anything else you'd hear on clear channel

Posted by: alguien | Jan 7, 2009 7:57:22 PM

12. @NOTACYNIC: My personal problem with her is that, yeah, she writes her own songs but those songs are kind of boring and pop-by-numbers. I feel like she has been marketed SO HARD to seem edgy and different when she is really just dime-a-dozen. Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you do it well.

Posted by: chriso | Jan 7, 2009 8:08:40 PM

13. I'm in two minds about Lady GaGa. On the one hand, I like some of her music. On the other, I think she is the latest in a string of female entertainers who are using their so-called bisexuality as a marketing ploy. Note how you never hear about bisexual male singers hitting the charts, only female. It's a double standard, no doubt.

We in the gay community need to be extra-careful about supporting these female entertainers. By supporting them, we may in fact be propping up the straight male fetish for girl-girl action, a fetish which is based on titillation and not respect. These straight men are, by and large, bigots. They don't give a rat's about gay rights.

Let's not be enablers of homophobia.

Posted by: jason | Jan 7, 2009 8:22:28 PM

14. Is it me, or doesn't she look like Janice from the Muppets?

Posted by: Steve | Jan 7, 2009 8:33:17 PM

15. Love her

She is not a "corporate product," at least according to the profiles that have been done on her.

She is 22 and a product of NYC nightlife! yeah finally a real New Yorker on the pop scene.

and yes, Xtina + Gwen + Janice ROTFL

Posted by: qjersey | Jan 7, 2009 9:39:42 PM

16. No comparison to Christina. Gaga blows that melismatic hootchie mamma out of the water.

Posted by: wetcnt | Jan 7, 2009 10:16:08 PM

17. Sounds like a Regina Spektor rip off to me.

Posted by: Whatever | Jan 7, 2009 10:41:59 PM

18. I love her!!! I have been saying for a while now that she rocks! I saw her open for the New Kids on the Block back in Novemeber '08, immediately downloaded "The Fame" when I got home, and have been jammin' to it every since! It's a great workout album too! Love that Lady GaGa!!!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jan 7, 2009 11:27:09 PM

19. Absolutely no comparison to Christina (and I'm not a big Christina fan). GaGa's voice has a lovely tone, but poor control and range (besides, the songs she sings are not very dynamic). Although I hate the songs Christina chooses and I dislike her personal decisions, she is one of the best pure all-around vocalists ever.

Posted by: Big One | Jan 7, 2009 11:31:38 PM

20. Interesting...
    (from: http://fabmagazine.com/features/362/Gaga.html)

MT: Recently you dropped the news that you identify as bisexual, which is a really ballsy move for someone in the pop music industry. Why did you make the choice to come out about it?

LG: It’s actually something I don’t really like to talk about anymore. I’m kind of disappointed by it all. I don’t like to be seen as somebody who is using the gay community to look edgy. I’m a free sexual woman and I like what I like. I don’t want people to write that about me because I feel like it looks like I’m saying it because I’m trying to be edgy or underground.

MT: It’s weird that honesty sometimes backfires like that. I guess you’re trying to avoid the lesbian-chic transparency of someone like the hotly contested Ms. Katy Perry.

LG: I mean, look, I know Katy and she’s super nice and I don’t want to say anything bad about her music or her. I’ll just say not in terms of Katy but just in general, I’m very careful about the way I write about sexuality. I push boundaries in everything I do, I have a lot of girl on girl in my short films, there’s a lot of boy on boy onstage. I do all kinds of stuff like that I do not want to make anyone feel used. I’m not trying to use my gay fans to get a fan base, I really genuinely love them and that’s why I made the decision very early on to not play “Boys, Boys, Boys” in the clubs right away. I didn’t want it to be seen like I was trying to promote a song that was like a gay club anthem. Not because I don’t wanna have a gay club anthem, I want all my songs to be gay club anthems, I want the whole show to be one giant gay club anthem, but I just didn’t want to be seen as the girl who is just using her gay songs to get out there. Anybody that writes music that touches on sexuality or gay anything is setting themselves up to be a target for questioning and interrogation. But I appreciate when people ask me those kinds of questions so I can tell it how it is.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 8, 2009 12:12:41 AM

21. I usually dont partake in this trival fodder..however...all things said...bottom line is I listened and watched....I saw and heard a genuine performance...bravo...

Posted by: LA James | Jan 8, 2009 1:17:30 AM

22. Ditto LA JAMES

Posted by: Bren | Jan 8, 2009 3:26:55 AM

23. if you know anything about music, you would know this girl is the real deal. thats why shes signed. shes not the hottest girl, but she has insane talent. sure, much of her stuff is pop-by-numbers so far but she is 22 (!) and this is her first album. did you hear the rearrangement of the song above? she took her own song and made it sound like regina spektor. shes written for britney spears, pussycat doll, nkotb. and really written. not some songwriter took her bad poetry and built a hook around it. again, shes 22 and this is her first album. her potential is insane.

britney spears, christina a, etc ...these girls offer different things ...britney is a trained "vessel" with a distinct pop voice and christina has insane vocal range that she cant always control but neither girls are real musicians and songwriters compared with Lady Gaga. and b*tch can dance AND sing live at the same time without recorded vocals and backing tracks. only pop artist ive seen do that before was madonna.

Posted by: James | Jan 8, 2009 3:38:30 AM

24. God I love her! Is that normal for a 36 yo gay man? Oh well, it's true.

Posted by: Shane | Jan 8, 2009 7:16:51 AM

25. WTF is up with all the shit bleeped out of the video and lyrics on that YouTube vid? Search for the uncut one so it's not so messed up.
    I think I still have her Miss Universe performance of Just Dance on my facebook page - that's when I fell in love. lol

Posted by: Shane | Jan 8, 2009 7:24:43 AM