Bevan Dufty | Bill Donohue | Catholic Church | News | Proposition 8 | San Francisco | Vandalism

BigGayDeal.com

SF Supervisor Bevan Dufty Introduces Resolution Condemning Vandalism of Holy Redeemer Church

Holyredeemer

Yesterday, San Francisco Supervisor Bevan Dufty introduced a resolution at the Board of Supervisors meeting condemning the recent vandalism at the city's Most Holy Redeemer Church:

Dufty***TEXT OF RESOLUTION***

WHEREAS, Most Holy Redeemer Church, a Catholic community established in 1900 and located within the heart of San Francisco's Castro District, is widely known as a Gay-friendly parish; and

WHEREAS, For over 20 years the community of Most Holy Redeemer Church has sustained an active AIDS support group providing direct care to persons with HIV disease and assistance to those who love and care for them; and

WHEREAS, Most Holy Redeemer Church established a Peace and Social Justice Group to reflect upon and address issues of justice both inside and outside the church, particularly in response to sexism, homophobia, racism, and the willful failure to protect the poor and underserved; and

WHEREAS, The Community Life Committee of Most Holy Redeemer is made up of various organizations in the parish that form the faith and build a deeper sense of community for all ages and interest groups in the parish and the extended local community regardless of religious affiliation; therefore, now be it

RESOLVED, That the Board of Supervisors of the City and County of San Francisco does hereby condemn the recent intimidation of Most Holy Redeemer Church and its parishoners through acts of vandalism, specifically the defacing of its exterior with spray-painted graffiti that included the names of church leaders and the depictions of swastikas; and therefore, be

FURTHER RESOLVED, That the Board of Supervisors of the City and County of San Francisco commends the significant accomplishments and contributions made by the faith community of Most Holy Redeemer Church to the City of St. Francis.

***END OF RESOLUTION***

On Monday, the Catholic League's Bill Donohue released a ridiculous statement linking the vandalism to gays angry about Proposition 8, despite any evidence of that, and implicating San Francisco supervisors and Mayor Gavin Newsom for remaining silent. Donohue also reintroduced some of the gross distortions made by religious leaders about peaceful Prop 8 protestors and hateful acts never proven to have any connection to the gay community.

Read it, AFTER THE JUMP...

DonohueSaid Donohue: "In the wake of Proposition 8, innocent persons have been assaulted, churches have been vandalized, a white substance resembling anthrax was sent to the Knights of Columbus and to Mormon temples, supporters of traditional marriage have been branded Nazis, African Americans have been called the ‘N-word,’ houses and cars have been trashed, etc. Unfortunately, most of those in the gay community have been silent about these acts. Part of the blame for the latest attack goes to San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom and the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Both Newsom and the Board have shown nothing but contempt for the First Amendment rights of Catholics. When crucifixes are sold as sex toys and Catholic sensibilities are assaulted by naked men in the street at the annual Folsom Street Fair, they say nothing. When gay men dressed as nuns show up at Mass—at the same church—they say nothing. But the Board was quite vocal about condemning the Catholic Church in 2006, something which led to a lawsuit triggered by the Catholic League and the Thomas More Law Center...For those who love to write about ‘root causes,’ let them ponder the guilt of these public officials. Moreover, leaders in the gay community show no leadership when it comes to denouncing incivility committed in the name of gay rights. This has got to end.”

Comments

1. It's nearly impossible to imagine how Dufty could DO LESS! A church is defiled and his response is to write some crap and take a vote?!?

Leadership is in the deeds!

Posted by: David B. | Jan 7, 2009 6:40:05 PM

2. WHEREAS, it took the Catholic Church nearly 400 years to retract Galileo's imposed heresy and concede the earth, in fact, orbits the sun, and;

WHEREAS, they still recoil from Darwin.

RESOLVED, I do not give a shit.

Posted by: Ben | Jan 7, 2009 6:41:56 PM

3. Tank:

This "I don't care if you are Mother Teresa, nothing that you've ever done, no matter how noble, matters if you are Catholic" line of reasoning is a little too simplistic.

Seriously.

You want to attack the Pope, or any jerk who preaches against us, more power to you. (In particular you should read what the faithful have to say about Rocco's congregation, and have a go at them.)

But to say that Eric and Rocco are giving the Pope a pass is just willful stupidity and self indulgent jerking off.

Wipe up and grow up.

Posted by: MammmaB | Jan 7, 2009 7:06:35 PM

4. If the Catholic Church were as anti-black as they are anti-gay, then how many weeks, months, or years would you adorn their pews?

Posted by: KJ | Jan 7, 2009 7:45:11 PM

5. When is Bevan Dufty going to introduce a resolution condemning the Archbishop for his campaign for Prop 8 and his clear bigotry towards our community? (He even brought in the Mormons.)

Oh, I forgot, Bevan is a hypocrit who does not care about gay people....

Posted by: SamSong | Jan 7, 2009 7:51:59 PM

6. Tank,
    I don't need a lecture about history, current events, or the media. Seriously.

Are you calling me the member of a hate group? Seriously? I'm vacuous now? LOL...
    I am kind of a drama queen, but really not a martyr.Seriously. That would be St. Sebastian, one of the gay saints. Oh, I don't wanna lecture........... Sorry.....wow..ok....ssoooo...

I am also not an adherent of Intelligent Design. Because I advocate tolerance of diversity (of thought, gender, political parties, religions, etc.), I am not a fundamentalist or a Nazi. I just want my civil rights. I just happen to believe that we need as much help as possible (from all kinds of supporters).

I do not think there should be a litmus test to be a member of GLBT world.
    If you are queer and are not trying to hurt us...a la Senator Craig, then I think we oughtta play nice. I am not not less gay because I belong to the Cathoilc Church.

Again, none of my money goes to support my local archdiocese, or to the Vatican. I can prove that, and you certainly cannot prove the contrary.

Finally, I am not telling anyone they can't support us because they believe x,y,or z. That would be you. There is lots of room and kindness in our community for all kinds of people...

Posted by: Rocco | Jan 7, 2009 7:59:29 PM

7. re: MammaB

I'm sure you believe there were some good Nazis too. And they were Catholic.

Why are all Catholics neurotic OCD cases? Stop trying to control everything.

Posted by: Ben | Jan 7, 2009 8:01:58 PM

8. Did this parish host gay marriages? (of course not)

Is this parish still a part of the Catholic Church (who is attacking our civil marriages)? (of course)

Now, I'd be happy to support this parish if they would leave the Catholic Church... After all, the Catholic faith allows for no 'wriggle' room.

I do feel sorry for the participants in a church that hates you.... Too bad they can't find a more appropriate place for your worship.

Posted by: Samsong | Jan 7, 2009 8:12:13 PM

9. Holding individual Catholics liable for what the Vatican says and does regardless of whether they disagree is akin to holding every American responsible for what President Bush has done solely because he represents the United States.

If we follow the logic presented in many of these comments, by virtue of paying taxes and continuing to hold on to our citizenship, we are all anti-gay because our nation still holds unfavorable positions to homosexuality. We are all equally culpable in the Iraq fiasco.

Seriously, people grow up. It is sad that you are completely unable to look at each individual and each individual parish and their actions.

And Tank, Rocco is correct. The money that parishioners donate during mass goes to the upkeep of that parish.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 7, 2009 8:12:49 PM

10. Samsong,

You are playing into right wing fears by asking of a church is performing gay marriages. During the election, everyone kept stressing that there is a difference between a CIVIL marriage and a RELIGIOUS marriage. Now you are conflating the two just as the right wing did during the election.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 7, 2009 8:15:55 PM

11. We don`t know who did the grafitti. It could very easily have been an anti gay zealot who wanted to kill two birds with one stone, feeding the fires of animosity against imaginary gay ``villains`` and creating problems for a congregation composed mainly of gay and gay friendly opponents of Prop 8.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 7, 2009 8:24:26 PM

12. The vandalism is typical, like many of the anti christian comments here. Many gay men are so blind with rage at the church, they can't see that liberal christians are their friends and would make powerful allies. I've been waiting for thirty years for the movement to stop shooting itself in the foot. This business is no surprise.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jan 7, 2009 8:26:55 PM

13. Holding individual catholics accountable for what the vatican says (who individual catholics profess to follow) is like holding individual nazis accountable for what Hitler said about jews. However, holding individual catholics accountable for what the vatican says HAS nothing to do with holding individual catholics accountable for being catholic, and in virtue of that, supporting the vatican.

And no, all money collected by the catholic church (any parish) doesn't necessarily support only that parish.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 7, 2009 8:42:51 PM

14. Mammawhatever, you addressed nothing I wrote, so I won't be addressing anything you wrote.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 7, 2009 8:45:02 PM

15. So, Rocco, according you, larry craig wasn't trying to hurt us...are you aware of any of the legislation he supported? The catholic church (the hierarchical monolithic institution that IT IS) isn't trying to hurt us...The mormon church isn't trying to hurt us...the toxic evangelicals...they're simply not trying to hurt us according to this frightening fantasy you've constructed for yourself to justify your christian faith...very sad. Any evangelical that is, say, gay friendly, is helping his antigay bretheren by defending his faith--the same faith they rely on to condemn homosexuality.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 7, 2009 8:51:08 PM

16. Yay Tank! I agree that any catholic or mormon who supports/accepts the constitutional concept of equality under the law and the separation of church and state should leave their respective church. (And the same for any other religious group or sect that butts itself into secular law.)

I have a few very liberal catholic friends and I'm really struggling because I can't understand how they can continue to be affiliated with the Roman church. (One of them played the bagpipes for my wedding!)

As for the Bush argument—that's a red herring. Most of us did not choose to be American citizens nor can we so easily skip out (though my husband and I have contemplated it). Religious allegiance to a specific church is certainly a choice. Further, the US president does not have the same kind of authority over "the people" that the Pope has over his minions.

Posted by: David R. | Jan 8, 2009 2:27:04 AM

17. And as for the graffiti, boo hoo. I believe that's just around the corner from where some yahoos chose to throw an egg at me late one Saturday night. Where's my city council resolution?

Posted by: David R. | Jan 8, 2009 2:28:32 AM

18. Tank,
    I think you misunderstood or misread my last post. I was trying to convey the exact opposite re: Larry Craig, et.al.

You keep speaking in generalities, black & white terms only. The world is far more gray I think.

You also seem to be saying there are no GLBT Christians, Hindus, Moslems, etc. There IS A LOT of overlap...maybe as many as GLBT athiests or agnostics....maybe more.

A final point: people who belong to a a church/temple don't necessarily believe every tenet of that faith....e.g The vast majority of hetero US Catholics use birth control and over 50% of US Catholics are pro-choice.

Good night & good luck!

Posted by: Rocco | Jan 8, 2009 6:07:17 AM

19. PS: Thanks for the back up Eric & MamaB

Posted by: Rocco | Jan 8, 2009 6:09:20 AM

20. I'm proud that someone had the balls to call out the Catholic church for their attack on our rights. We've called out the carpetbagging Mormon church, and the Catholic church is just as deserving.

This local church did a lot of good for our community during the AIDS crisis. However, the Catholic church is totally hierarchical, and the church campaigns against our basic rights all across the world. They are immoral and evil (in this regard).

Posted by: SamSong | Jan 8, 2009 1:38:01 PM

21. It is more nuanced than that, Rocco. But Islam isn't more nuanced than one woman getting beaten for failing to cover up; or people being hanged for "homosexuality". It's not more nuanced than that. Christianity is not more nuanced than initiatives in which millions are poured into denying homosexuals their rights, and force us to have to justify our very existences. Not more gray or nuanced such that that "nuance" gives the faith a pass, or justifies it. I want to see all religions become completely harmless, because they're not now. As soon as you remove the harm from what religious belief can be demonstrated to cause, feel free to believe whatever unjustified fiction strikes your fancy. I have no problem with janism for that very reason--they're simply harmless. I still think it's absurd, but nonetheless HARMLESS, even in potential. No amount of "good deeds" can make up for the harm that many religions cause.

Of course not everyone who belongs to a religion agrees--but that agreement doesn't matter, you see...for, again, they are members of that faith, and support it. Every moderate muslim and every gay friendly christian supports the radicals, for they affirm and defend the same faith the radicals use--name and books, and even rituals. This confers legitimacy to fundamentalists and radicals alike.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 8, 2009 3:21:26 PM

22. Right on Rocco. The irrational, frothing anger of someone like Tank is best avoided- he's someone defending Swastika graffiti, and scarily saying each and every Catholic needs to be "held to account" for the Church's stance on gays.

I hate graffiti. I hate swastikas. I hate swastika graffiti on a beautiful building in beautiful San Francisco. I was open to the idea that antigay people might have done it to make us look bad, but seeing such truly unhinged ranting hatred- even against one of the most progressive congregations in CA- makes me see yes, there are a lot of freakishly anger-filled people out there, blaming "the Church" for their every woe.

The Catholic Church has asserted that gay people have inherent human dignity. Yes, they are against gay sex, BUT SO IS EVERY OTHER RELIGION. Even Buddhists! I'd like to see where the human dignity of gay people has been asserted by Southern Baptists, Mormons, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and any other religious denomination. (Episcopalians are pretty cool.)

Sorry, I cannot stand overemotional hyperbolic neurotics, who are deeply unread about the many complex issues, throwing words about Nazism and the like, as if the entire world of religion ought to center around their own sex life. Poverty, charity, war- no, it's all about them, shrieking about a gay Holocaust. Uh, stop screaming, learn some civility, get some dignity.

Posted by: Vince | Jan 8, 2009 3:38:52 PM

23. @ VINCE: are you actually reading TANK's posts? He's quite rational and not overemotional. I agree with him that religion is a farce, but I also know that there are plenty of religious orders/sects that do embrace gay sexuality. Perhaps you ought to take a more rational look at religion and how it has corrupted the rational mind.

Posted by: David R. | Jan 8, 2009 4:15:39 PM

24. Vince, you're very funny. I got quite a chuckle out of your diatribe. Trust, however, that I'm laughing at you... But a correction is in order.

I'm not angry at catholicism or christianity--they both concern me as a citizen of the world in which both play a very big role and have a negative, harmful influence that is never justified in terms of the positive things it does--those could be accomplished without it.

I don't think that harm should be meted out to any religious person simply for being religious, and that people have a right to believe as they do. But ya know, it's gonna take more critical minds than god equipped you with to deal with the harm that religion is most certainly implicated.

I usually respond to people like you, vince with "go away, adults talking." Maybe that's how I should responded to your thoughtless response...but you made me laugh, so I'm glad I didn't.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 8, 2009 4:34:07 PM

25. Ms. Dufty and the rest of the Patriarchal, Higharchial, cult worshipers can hide behind the robes (skirts), rituals, rings, and all the other neo-lithic icons and jurassic clap-trap that Catholisism (and every other deity worshiping, highly conditioned belief system) uses to mask it's true mission: to CONTROL human sex, sexuality, behavior, and to funnel the ensuing ignorance and repressed sexual energies into promoting fear, self-loathing and most importantly: to amassing as much money as possible - via guilt and threats of eternal damnation - into their all-male cult coffers - so that they can continue to propagate this anthropocentric deity nonsense and thoroughly infect the next generation with the deadly twin viruses of ignorance and fear.

For a growing number of us awakening queer folk, the gloves are off - and it has not been (up until recently) our side who has been doing the pummeling, but I can assure you, we can and will strike back at this hateful ass-hat in Rome, and all those who follow or promote that poisonous cults anti-human, anti-intellectual agenda. And that includes all of its slimy tentacles "outpost" like MHR - no matter how "inclusive", or tolerant" you delude yourselves into believing.

Every time that sulfurous, sniveling cadaver holed up in the Vatican makes his hate-filled, anti GLBT pooba pronouncement - like he jusr did again a few weeks ago, attacks on GLBT rights, violent assaults and more senseless deaths of our people - explode worldwide. So to all those apologist, conformist, protectionist and other catho-holic cult enablers, it is on your heads that this horror continues.

Posted by: stevielee | Jan 8, 2009 5:05:42 PM