Football (American) | Jennifer Hudson | News

Jennifer Hudson Said to Lip-Sync National Anthem Performance

Catch Jennifer Hudson's incredible comeback performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the Super Bowl? Pre-game show producer Ricky Minor says that both Hudson and Faith Hill lip-synced their performances to tracks he insisted they submit a week before the show.

HudsonSaid Minor: "That's the right way to do it. There's too many variables to go live. I would never recommend any artist to go live because the slightest glitch would devastate their performance. ..This was such an important performance, because it's the first time everyone has seen Jennifer," Minor said. "But she's in such a great place, with such great spirits and time can heal her wounds."

It was Hudson's first public appearance since the shooting tragedy that took the lives of her mother, brother, and nephew in Chicago. According to the AP, "Minor said Hudson was very calm and prepared, and he counseled her to take the deep breath before she began so she could put herself in the moment."

I don't know. Looked pretty damn live to me. As a performance, it was one of the finest I've seen.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Towleroad TV: Spotlight on Jennifer Hudson [tr]

Comments

1. I agree. I had no idea that it was not live. She was amazing. I'm fortunate enough to be going to the Grammys this coming week - she's scheduled to perform at the show in addition to the Neil Diamond Tribute Concert on Friday, which I'll be attending as well. "We're all rooting for you Jennifer!"

Posted by: Scott | Feb 2, 2009 7:07:21 AM

2. Right towards the end, there was a moment when I could tell it wasn't live. "She's lip-synching," I said, and one of my friends around the teevee machine noticed it, too. Still, she sounded great - and blew Faith Hill away. Just sayin'.

But wait ... Neil Diamond Tribute concert? I'm a total closet Neil Diamond fan - I bet that'll be amazing. What's Jennifer singing?

Posted by: Red Seven | Feb 2, 2009 7:39:32 AM

3. Does it matter that much? The venue is not really the most ideal place to perform live. She can still sing like a mofo.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 2, 2009 8:51:11 AM

4. It's actually the norm that singers at big sporting events prerecord the national anthem for the event and then lip sync to it. This is not news, nor should it be surprising to a bunch of guys as savvy as we are. ;)

Posted by: seeldee | Feb 2, 2009 8:55:33 AM

5. No big deal. Whitney did it during her bravura rendition at the time of the first Gulf War in 1991. Cher did it. Happens all the time. I'd also bet that Springsteen's music tracks were all pre-recorded too.

Posted by: Don | Feb 2, 2009 9:21:04 AM

6. that was hot!

and so was matt leinart...

Posted by: Dan B | Feb 2, 2009 9:31:48 AM

7. Lyp-synched or not, girl tore. it. up.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Feb 2, 2009 10:00:40 AM

8. Who cares? This is a non-issue.

Posted by: noah | Feb 2, 2009 10:05:36 AM

9. It was absolutely lip-synched; I could tell right away. Most, if not all, of these kinds of performances are lip-synched to previously recorded "live" vocals. It doesn't make her less of a person for doing it, but it's important to note in the same way it's important to realize models' faces are retouched in magazines. Because a model with NO retouching who looks flawless is all the more remarkable, and a Jennifer Hudson performance that is TRULY live and sounds that perfect is all the more remarkable.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 2, 2009 10:34:12 AM

10. The acoustics of a huge stadium like that make it so hard to sing live. The echo and bounce back make it tough because you hear yourself echoing back a few seconds after the sound is coming out of your mouth. As long as it was her voice that she pre-recorded I am fine with it. Glad to see her out and about.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 2, 2009 11:15:05 AM

11. Well, if that was lip synched, she blew the speaker system out, that was the best rendition of that song in years, and, kudos' to her for finding the strength to sing it after the horrible loss of her family

Posted by: JP | Feb 2, 2009 11:21:54 AM

12. WTF???.........The Rolling Stomes didn't lip synch, or Prince for that matter.....what drivel about Jeniffer Hudson...if you have the goods...then you ought to deliver...

Posted by: Tasso | Feb 2, 2009 12:15:28 PM

13. I really wanted to make a venomous comment about pop culture and its fans being vapid and untalented, but with Yoyo Ma and Itzhak Perlman using pre-recorded performances for the Presidential Inauguration, it seems like an epidemic problem that - while possibly perfected by - is certainly not exclusive to pop music.

That being said, my heart just really goes out to Jennifer Hudson. That's a terrible tragedy, and it is empowering to see her coming back from that.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 2, 2009 12:32:04 PM

14. When you have a band behind you and millions of people cheering, it's easy to sing live. There's no echo, no acoustic issues. You can just go at it. It's completely different when it's all quiet and there's nothing but your voice echoing across a giant stadium.

Posted by: brianc | Feb 2, 2009 1:10:37 PM

15. while Jennifer's talents cannot be denied, i'll take Aretha Franklin's "my cunt-tree" rendition. Miss Hudson's version lacked the historical depth and meaning of the lyrics.

Posted by: my2cents | Feb 2, 2009 2:41:08 PM

16. Um. They ALL lip synch the anthem. I thought that was commonly known by now.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 2, 2009 3:58:18 PM

17. Um. They ALL lip synch the anthem. I thought that was commonly known by now.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 2, 2009 3:59:41 PM

18. This culture has become so much about the slick perfection of product; Art as prefabricated, flawless comodity. We are losing the thrill and humanity of live performance with its rough presence. It is a sham and a shame, I say.

Posted by: lwoolf | Feb 2, 2009 6:23:05 PM

19. i was really blown away by her performance. totally awesome. and she looked 'FABULUS', no?

Posted by: T-N-Houston | Feb 2, 2009 7:34:19 PM

20. Who cares if she lip synced or not? It's not like she's Millie-Vanilli, who, by the way, lip synced SOMEONE ELSES songs - and won a grammy. This LADY actually sang this song and I DEFY any of you to say she didn't nail the S*&# out of it!!!

SHE IS A TRUE STAR!!!

Posted by: RaiduhFan | Feb 2, 2009 9:04:43 PM

21. Hudson tore it up at the Super Bowl, almost to the point of stealing the show from the football players

Posted by: coffee | Feb 4, 2009 4:35:00 AM