David Letterman | Joaquin Phoenix | News | Television

Letterman on Joaquin Phoenix: We Owe An Apology to Farrah Fawcett

Joaquin

Joaquin Phoenix heads in to The Late Show with David Letterman for a completely inscrutable appearance. Dave finally gives up, asking, "What can you tell us about your days with the Unabomber?"

Phoenix is either drugged up, drunk, demented, or pulling some kind of weird stunt.

Regarding the Farrah Fawcett reference, Farrah gave a legendary messed up performance on the show back in '97.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Joaquin Phoenix Goes Into the Wild [tr]

Phoenix

Comments

1. He reminded me of Andy Kaufman. But with Andy it was an act.

Posted by: jessejames | Feb 12, 2009 7:31:53 AM

2. All i can say is this, "I watched as JP's career went into the shitter last night on DL!
    If he believes he will appear on other talk shows doing this he is sadly mistaken! Dave was so uncomfortable, and JP was so incoherent, and if this is an act then he better straighten up, and if it is not an act then he needs help big time and soon!!
    I would say he pissed away his career options last night!

Posted by: alex in boston | Feb 12, 2009 7:57:55 AM

3. David Letterman: "Joaquin, I'm so sorry you couldn't be here tonight."

Letterman was actually hilarious and managed to make an interesting bit of tv out of Phoenix's spectacularly weird unresponsiveness. What could have been a cringingly uncomfortable nightmare became a post-modern real-time gag about a live interview going horribly wrong. While I'm not a huge Letterman fan, his deft handling of this excruciating situation filled me with genuine awe.

I genuinely admire Phoenix and consider him one of the finest actors of his generation, but if he's not interested in doing PR for a film he should just say no rather than eclipsing the hard work of everyone else in the film he's allegedly promoting with his adolescent, prima-donnish posturing.

Posted by: DanJoaquinOz | Feb 12, 2009 8:23:09 AM

4. Big deal! Who cares? This is just another faux controversy. So what if the guy gave a lousy interview.

The sky is falling!
    The sky is falling!
    The sky is falling!

One lousy interview does not break a career.

Posted by: noah | Feb 12, 2009 8:31:40 AM

5. If you find and watch the full 10 minute-long version of this interview, you will notice in the last few seconds, as the outro music is playing, that Joaquin's demeanor changes: he stands up, shakes David's hand and, thinking the show must have gone to commercial, pulls off his sunglasses and says to Dave, "Good job." Clearly this was an act. I noticed one YouTube commenter point out that there's currently an "Untitled Joaquin Phoenix Documentary" being directed by Casey Affleck. I have no doubt this interview was part of some elaborate advertising scheme.

Posted by: JW | Feb 12, 2009 8:32:07 AM

6. Yeah, JW
    I saw that to at the end of the interview. They probably had the whole interview rehearsed.

Posted by: Mick | Feb 12, 2009 8:46:05 AM

7. Michael Jackson's been acting 10 times weirder for the last 30 years, so Joaquin would need to crank it way up if he was playing a prank. The guy comes from a famous family and has been under the spotlight since childhood, so who can blame him for being sick of it and not caring about how he looks on Dave Letterman?

Posted by: Lang | Feb 12, 2009 9:12:07 AM

8. Poor Leaf!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 12, 2009 9:28:24 AM

9. Ra Ra Rasputin. Lover of the Russian Queen.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Feb 12, 2009 9:40:38 AM

10. I prefer to think that he was drugged up, drunk and demented, instead of just plain stupid.

Posted by: David D. | Feb 12, 2009 9:45:29 AM

11. remember the good ol' days when he was little Max in "Space Camp"

"Jinx and Max... Friends... For...ev...er!

Posted by: Dave | Feb 12, 2009 10:24:28 AM

12. faux controversy is right - b/c it's a faux interview. quite enjoyable from the frission between pimping the movie, playing out the celeb star vehicle and decentering "Dave's" hosting in the whole she-bang. loved the gum bit as it actually surfaced the whole undercurrent of hostility in these affairs. For one, I wish JP had just trashed the joint & blown up Dave's smug industry BS gig. this one jumped the snark.

Posted by: resurrect | Feb 12, 2009 10:45:00 AM

13. Letterman got punk'd. JP will have the last laugh when his Borat-style doc comes out next year.

Posted by: Sean | Feb 12, 2009 12:25:28 PM

14. I went to his "press event" here at Lavo. It was so obviously a "Borat". I turned to my editor and said, "let's go, I would rather be at Krave with my friends than being Punk'd".

What bugs me (and I bet his co-stars) is that he totally blew off a chance to promote a movie that 100's of people worked on. If you have never worked on a movie let me tell you about it.

There are hundreds of people from the people who work in the truck rental offices all the way up to the stars who rowk a minimum of twelve hours a day, 7 days a week to make a film. They all feel like the movie is theirs. It's everybody's baby.

Phoenix just blew off all of those people pursuing his own agenda.

The movie is "Two Lovers" co-starring Gwyneth Paltrow.

Phoenix should be ashamed of himself. If the movie bombs he can bet Hollywood will remember him for it. Casey Affleck should run as far as possible away from this as quick as he can. The fact that this is an obvious scam dooms whatever they are working on together.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 12, 2009 12:48:17 PM

15. I went to his "press event" here at Lavo. It was so obviously a "Borat". I turned to my editor and said, "let's go, I would rather be at Krave with my friends than being Punk'd".

Phoenix just blew off all of those people pursuing his own agenda.

The movie is "Two Lovers" co-starring Gwyneth Paltrow.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 12, 2009 12:52:03 PM

16. No, he was definitely messed up. The pauses and awkwardness in the full version are too telling. I also saw the brief smile toward the end and the removal of his glasses, but I think JP began to realize the extent to which he was being made fun of and tried to muster up enough coherence to play along, but it was too late and he was too out of it.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Feb 12, 2009 12:56:24 PM

17. Brilliant sketch! A real put-on if there ever was one.

Posted by: mike | Feb 12, 2009 1:46:33 PM

18. Who knows if it was real or not. Joaquin has been making the rounds lately sounding and looking really strange.

Whatever the case, I thought Letterman was great.
    His funny apology to Farrah Fawcett was pretty cool.

I remember seeing that show w/ Farrah, I don't know what was wrong then, but I felt so bad for her.

I wonder how she's doing with her cancer treatments?

Posted by: Shon | Feb 12, 2009 1:59:11 PM

19. Kittens... inspired by kittens!

Posted by: Drunken Sailor | Feb 12, 2009 5:03:38 PM

20. Fala sério!! será que não si pode ser feliz aí nesse país??Ele só está tentando seguir seus sonhos,os seus objetivos,e sinceramente vai conseguir,porque é determinado e não adianta vocês aí fivarem gozando com a cara dele não!!Depois quando ele fazer sucesso são vocês mesmo que vão ficar atrás dele pedindo autrográfo.EU SOU FAN, e jamais vou deixar de ser,por ipotíce nenhuma,eu concordo com tudo.Eu amo de mais esse homem.l love joaquin e nada vai mudar isso.

Posted by: lú melendez | Feb 17, 2009 8:23:28 PM

21. Fala sério!! será que não si pode ser feliz aí nesse país??Ele só está tentando seguir seus sonhos,os seus objetivos,e sinceramente vai conseguir,porque é determinado e não adianta vocês aí fivarem gozando com a cara dele não!!Depois quando ele fazer sucesso são vocês mesmo que vão ficar atrás dele pedindo autrográfo.EU SOU FAN, e jamais vou deixar de ser,por ipotíce nenhuma,eu concordo com tudo.Eu amo de mais esse homem.l love joaquin e nada vai mudar isso.

Posted by: lu melendez | Feb 17, 2009 8:27:39 PM