I'm Gay | Jonathan Knight | News | NKOTB

New Kid on the Block Jonathan Knight's Ex-Boyfriend: He's Gay

Jknight

Looks as though that birthday boy kiss Donnie Wahlberg gave him a few weeks ago was something to which Knight was accustomed.

Matt Rettenmund at Boy Culture writes: "Kyle Wilker, 27, tells the rag Jonathan realized he 'preferred guys to girls' after dating Tiffany. (Sorry, Tiff. Ouch.) 'We had a wonderful relationship. I was in love with him and I believe he was in love with me.' They met at a bar Kyle was working at on Fire Island...there are so many hints in that sentence that this would end, and then end up in the Enquirer."

Comments

1. Uhhh...the ex is a scumbag, but pretty much everyone in Florida, L.A. and New England has known that Jon has been openly gay for the past decade or so.

Posted by: another matt | Feb 5, 2009 8:59:17 AM

2. Slow news year, I take it?

Good for him; looks like one HELL of a lip-lock.

NEXT!

Posted by: Rad | Feb 5, 2009 9:08:17 AM

3. I'm still not sure how I feel about the outing of celebrities. On one hand I live my life completely openly as a gay man. There is not one bit of shame that I feel for who I am and I feel that visibility is one o f the most important things our community needs to accomplish, it's easy to demagog a nameless, faceless group of people but much harder when you can put a face to the group and realize that they aren't all parading down main street half naked to thumping dance music (Although I do quite enjoy that) but your neighbors, friends and relatives. Gays and lesbians have made enormous contributions to society and the arts and I feel that hiding that causes enormous harm to our community and that if we are going to make any progress towards recognition and acceptance we all have to live our lives openly and honestly.

On the other hand, I know first hand what it is like to be closeted and have your world ripped apart when people found out the truth and to have people that you thought were your friends make you become the subject of gossip and make derogatory comments about who you are behind your back. And even though I consider myself an out and proud gay man I've been known to grit my teeth, smile and laugh at the question of why I don't have a girlfriend many times out of my own short sighted self-interest.

I do kind of feel that gay public figures have an obligation to our community to be out, on the other hand I would be a hypocrite and a liar to say that I haven't acknowledged my sexuality if I thought my livelihood was at stake.

Posted by: John M | Feb 5, 2009 9:51:20 AM

4. What a skunk for outing his ex!

I believe in outing also but not by your ex.

That said I think Tiffany would turn any boy gay! Go Tiffany!

Posted by: tony the tiger | Feb 5, 2009 10:05:22 AM

5. "I do kind of feel that gay public figures have an obligation to our community to be out"

Now if a person in public office who happens to be gay and closeted is voting against gay rights, then that's a different situation because they're being a hypocrite and doing actual harm to the gay community. So I have no problem with outing such people.

In this particular situation where Jonathan Knight's ex gay lover is telling his own story, I think it's rather crappy of him, but it's his story too and he has a right to tell it. No problem here.

I just don't think that any celebrity has to reveal anything about themselves that they don't want us to know.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 5, 2009 10:10:11 AM

6. OMG. Tiffany turned me gay too!

Posted by: bozemanmontana | Feb 5, 2009 10:20:52 AM

7. "I couldn't disagree more. While I would love it if every gay person came out, I don't think anyone (be they a public figure or not) has any obligation to reveal any personal information about their sexual preference to anyone. It doesn't matter who you are...it's your own business and nobody else's."

Here's were we disagree, I don't believe sexuality is a "personal detail" when in general it can be and is assumed. Being gay in my eyes is no more a personal detail than being asian. Who you are dating or who you sleep with is a personal detail, your sexuality is not.

Posted by: John M | Feb 5, 2009 10:29:51 AM

8. I read this on MediaTakeOut the other day and all the commentors pretty much said they already knew he was gay....as did I.

He looks really cute and happy in the pictures, so it's nice to see that he's not repressed and lonely...which is what I figured.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 5, 2009 10:39:07 AM

9. Patrick: face reality...people choose to become public figures, knowing full and well what goes along with that -- a PUBLIC life. You want privacy and anonymity? Stay anonymous.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 5, 2009 10:42:12 AM

10. "Who you are dating or who you sleep with is a personal detail, your sexuality is not."

That's rather an absurd way of thinking to me. Does this apply to one's own weight as well? We can guess how much someone weighs but we don't really know. Is someone obliged to reveal what their weight is if someone asks?

We can guess if someone is gay or not, but that's not "outing" someone and we don't actually know the truth until someone tells us or we witness that person fucking someone of their same sex. The issue I was addressing in my previous post was if someone should be obliged to reveal their sexual preference. The answer is "no".

Your sexuality is a personal detail if you don't want anyone else to know for any various reason....such as you don't want to fired from your job, kicked out of your church, disowned by your family, denied housing, denied joining the military, not wanting to be beat up, etc, etc, etc.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 5, 2009 10:48:31 AM

11. PATRICK, I love the premise but can't agree. Heterosexuals obviously never have a problem when people presume they're straight; unfortunately many get in a tizzy when it's suggested they are gay. If being labelled straight is not even blinked at (bizarrely, the vast majority of people I meet assume I am) then being labelled gay shouldn't be either. One might have an abstract or legal right to privacy about sexual orientation, but one doesn't necessarily have a social one. A major reason gay rights can be so difficult to advance is that so many men can - and do - choose to "pass". Black people and women by and large can't do that, so their struggles have been visible.

One could argue that no-one else should make the decision for you to come out, but the reality is that celebrities are among the least vulnerable gays and they stay closeted at the expense of "regular" LGBT people. FFS, if people see someone like Mika trying to be all coy and closeted it only reinforces the idea that being gay is something to hide or be ashamed of. Celebrities have lots of unfortunate things that come with their fame and I think, like politicians, if they choose to put themselves out there then they have to expect us to use them to further our civil rights. If not, then they can find another job.

Posted by: argylesweater | Feb 5, 2009 11:13:45 AM

12. We should certainly be sensitive to people who are vulnerable (the young, people who could get fired, etc.) with the hope that one day coming out will be such a non-issue sensitivity won't be required. But for adults who live, by choice, in the public eye--whether its politicians or celebrities--if you want to keep that closet, it becomes your responsibility to build it around you. Celebrities shouldn't be obligated to reveal more about themselves than they wish, but the people around them shouldn't be obligated to protect their closet, either.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 5, 2009 11:21:37 AM

13. The guy's always lived his life very privately. He struggles with anxiety issues and has been open about that. While I'm fairly certain nobody close to him will be surprised and I doubt any of the 30 year old girls who saw the reunion tour will be either, the ex is still a jerk for doing this.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 5, 2009 11:37:57 AM

14. On a lighter note, how come everyone is summering with hot Brazilians but me?!?!?

Posted by: Jay | Feb 5, 2009 11:58:37 AM

15. who cares...........

Posted by: john | Feb 5, 2009 12:17:33 PM

16. "Celebrities shouldn't be obligated to reveal more about themselves than they wish, but the people around them shouldn't be obligated to protect their closet, either."

Yes, I agree. As I stated in my own post...Jonathan Knight's former boyfriend has every right to discuss his relationship with him. If anyone has any factual knowledge that some celebrity is gay and wants to reveal that...then I really don't care either. If that person is doing it solely because they are getting money for revealing it...then that's rather scummy.

I just don't believe any celebrity has an obligation to come out because they somehow owe it to "the community". It's always a personal decision unless you're being a hypocrite and being destructive to others.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 5, 2009 12:49:28 PM

17. So I guess Tiffany didn't have the Right Stuff?? ;-D

I'll get my coat...

Posted by: John S. Hall | Feb 5, 2009 1:08:25 PM

18. I KNEW IT!!! i always got a gay vibe from him!! LOL

Posted by: mr.razzberry | Feb 5, 2009 1:43:54 PM

19. I always thought (hoped?) that Jordan was the gay New Kid.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 5, 2009 2:03:18 PM

20. I disagree, Patrick. When gay people are getting beaten and killed for being who they are, when gay people are so ashamed and humilated about being gay that they resort to drugs, alcohol, unsafe sexual practices and possibly suicide, then I feel that every public figure who is gay has the duty to come out and declare that there is nothing shameful or horrible about being gay.

Posted by: Joseph | Feb 5, 2009 2:48:34 PM

21. Sorry Joseph, but public figures being gay won't keep people from feeling ashamed or beaten or resorting to drugs or alcohol abuse. If that were true, then the incidence of those things would be much less today than in the past, as we have many, many more "role-models" these days.

Anyone who feels compelled to any of those things either is being bombaded by it at the local level or has numberous other issues to resolve. No celeb will be enough to help them.

My two cents. I think we all deserve the right to come out on our own terms, unless we're being hypocritical or actively destructive to gays in general. And I think the ex-BF is scum who is selling out his relationship for a few bucks and a shot at fame.

Posted by: FrozenNorth | Feb 5, 2009 3:13:28 PM

22. This is going to be difficult to deny. This isn't dirty laundry (the str8 world standard of privacy), but the concept of harm comes into play: don't cause others harm, even if you feel there is a greater purpose.

Posted by: anon | Feb 5, 2009 3:47:25 PM

23. just for kicks (because i have nothing to do at work), i did a search of some fan sites to see if they "picking up" the story. the ones i checked are not. but i found a "fan club" online and notice, even back in the 90's, there were signs. Below are 2 answers he gives to the general questions that Teen Beat and 16 magazines always ask (giggles):

Favorite Date Activities: Anything goes!

Favorite Sport: All water sports

gee, i feel like i am as old as i was in the 90's right now. but i thought it was funny.

Posted by: macguffin54 | Feb 5, 2009 5:04:12 PM

24. While it's my wish for everyone to live an out and proud life, the ex is truly a jackass and should be treated as such.

Posted by: Giovanni | Feb 5, 2009 5:04:41 PM

25. Patrick, while I understand what your trying to say, and on a basic level I agree with the fact that no one should be forced to come out unless they want to, what everyone else is saying about Public and Celebs being gay and coming out is, in my understanding, about showing the world that being gay is not a bad thing. That being gay is just a small part of who they are. That being gay is a good thing and not something to be ashamed of. But, when celebs who are gay, but deny it in interviw after interview and then are photographed locking lips with their boyfriends, and then still deny it, it sends a very clear message to the public, that being gay is a bad thing, for if it was a good thing, they would have no problem saying they were gay.
    That is what I get from what the posters are saying.

Posted by: Crash | Feb 5, 2009 7:10:46 PM