Dallas | Evangelical Christians | News | T.D. Jakes

Bishop T.D. Jakes Speaks Out About Son's Gay Sex Arrest

JakesBishop T.D. Jakes, the homophobic Dallas megachurch pastor whose son was arrested last week after exposing himself and masturbating in front of law enforcement officers during a sex sting in a public park, released a statement over the weekend (which he also read to his congregation) distancing himself from his son's actions by pointing out that Jermaine Jakes is an adult. Bishop Jakes also says that his son is being shown a "restorative grace" indicative of his ministry.

According to the Dallas Voice, Jakes has said that he would never hire a sexually active gay person, has spoken out against same-sex marriage, and has called homosexuality a "brokenness."

Jermaine Jakes turned himself in to police last Thursday on an indecent exposure charge.

Read the full text of Jakes' statement, AFTER THE JUMP...

***FULL TEXT of BISHOP TD JAKES STATEMENT regarding SON'S ARREST***

As parents, we occasionally feel that our children do not live up to our highest and best ideals. When they do not, we don't diminish our love for them as recompense for our disapproval. Like our children, we also are not infallible nor do we profess to be. Our now adult son Jermaine is 29, but when he was at home he was a recipient of correction, compassion and wise counsel. We hope that the light of what we believe will guide him through times of contradiction and moments of concern as he continues to mature.

In spite of the family pain we feel from this unfortunate situation, it has given us a chance to show him the same help, support, and restorative grace for which our family and church is noted. Through our ministry at The Potter’s House, as well as our own home, we have for years offered help in the time of need to all adults, our five children and other people’s children.

It is in moments like these that I am so grateful that we do not preach that we are the solution, but we look to Christ for resolution. So then, as a very human family with real issues, like many other people, we will draw from the same well of grace to which we have led others to drink and be refreshed.

Bishop T.D. Jakes

Comments

1. Heterophobes are loving and tolerant of other views.........as long as those views don't contrast with theirs...anyone who thinks different is a bigot.....right???
    I mean, what goes around comes around...right??

Posted by: jasper mcmillan | Jun 15, 2012 11:21:26 PM

2. your lordship, 'm one of your distant mentees. Pls, accept my sincere concern and deep sympathy as you go through dis tribulative season. May I however, assure you that you and your family 'll not only come out of d tulmult stronger and better but that God shall turn every evil meant for your ministry to good, bcos He has prmsd to be wth us in the fire so that it cannot scorch us and in the troubled waters so that it cannot drown us. Yes, hell is let loose but we are more than conquerous says d holy writ.

Posted by: apostle adeyemi aiyegbajeje | Jun 18, 2012 2:09:46 PM

3. Bishop,Our Lord God,I Am always has the last say>We do know that when the stupid old devil cannot touch His Anointed Ones,it targets our children>Remember,the prodigal son returned when all had been persecuting his father.God knows everything so increase that fire burning in you to Serve A Higher Purpose.l love u and brother Jermaine

Posted by: Thomas Ngulube | Jun 23, 2012 3:45:47 AM

4. WHEN YOUR RELIGION HAS BECOME ONE WHO IS CRITICAL AND FORBIDDING A TRUE AND LIVING GOD IN HIS GOOD TIME WILL PULL THE SQUIRTS UP ON YOU TO EXPOSE YOUR WICKEDNESS NOT THAT OF THE SON BUT THE HYPOCRACY OF THE FATHER JESUS DIDNT DENIE MARY MAGDELENE NOR DID HE REJECT HER BUT THIS NEW CHRISTIAN HAS GONE SO FAR THAT WHEN JESUS COMES IF HE DIDNT HAVE FOR KNOWLEDGE HE WONT BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY THE RIGHTEOUS FROM THE RETCHED..

Posted by: JAMES | Jul 5, 2012 8:09:43 PM

5. Yeah, well if his HYPOCRITE holy-roller of a father hadn't been telling him all his life how "broken" and what a sinner he was for being gay then maybe Jermaine Jakes would be in a RELATIONSHIP with a man instead of cruising parks looking for a quick hook-up. Ever consider that? If Jermaine Jakes is broken it's his father and family who did the breaking.

Now what the hell are y'all doing on a gay website beating the Bible for anyway?

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 5, 2012 8:24:16 PM

6. God bless all of you! More importantly god bless all of you who arent receptive to the responsibility of a parent/BISHOP! Mr. Jakes I'm sorry that your son and your family have been attacked with the malicious spirit of "brokenness!" However, you serve a great god who will restore all brokenness in the miraculous and glorious name of JESUS!

Posted by: Baby in Christ | Jul 7, 2012 10:10:11 PM

7. God bless all of you! More importantly god bless all of you who arent receptive to the responsibility of a parent/BISHOP! Mr. Jakes I'm sorry that your son and your family have been attacked with the malicious spirit of "brokenness!" However, you serve a great god who will restore all brokenness in the miraculous and glorious name of JESUS!

Posted by: Baby in Christ | Jul 7, 2012 10:10:12 PM

8. My goodness... If I had any questions about the authenticity of Bishop's faith, they've all been resolved just by reading a few of these previous posts. Where did all the hatred hostility come from in some of these posts? I'll tell you where...from the same spirits of persecution that persecuted Jesus. Jesus, you said that they would attack Your people! Have mercy on them, for they know not what they do!

Posted by: doby | Jul 8, 2012 10:39:19 PM

9. Men of god I need help by prayers from you my needs is finances I ask you to for me until god open the door of my finances thank you I see you has my spiritual father because every time I whach your preaching on tv

Posted by: SOSAYA | Jul 11, 2012 9:50:43 AM

10. MY GOD!...What is our World Coming to!..People Please be careful putting your mouth on the man of God!....And it dont matter what him,his moma,siter,or brother has done!...There is only one true and Living God!...and he FORGIVES!...Its sad that Our World has come to this...People can get on the computer...no Face...and just Bash and show disrespect!...OMG!

Posted by: Rhonda Jackson | Jul 21, 2012 3:01:25 PM

11. ,Jermain made a choice in the midst of the availables.He is now a son not a child. Bishop JAKES has bin a blessing and still his ministry is still blessing millions around the world even now. As much as the conduct of Samuel's children can not erase his uprightness as recorded in the bible,even so Bishop JAKES remain upright and his son's misdeed will not dicredit him before God. Afteral, what do you expect from children that the country has given too much power in the constitution more than their parents

Posted by: FIDELIS NGR | Jul 25, 2012 3:10:28 AM

12. There is nothing wrong with the way that TJ Jakes handle his sons arrest, Homosexuality is a sin a against God, which should be adressed, yet still Love the individual, but hate the sin, and his son should be treated with love, and compasion, which doesn't mean advocating his sons lifestyle. Yes homosxuality is part of life, yet homosexuals are capible of bigotry when ever a homsexual mentions that anyone that speaks out against the homosexual lifestyle, and gay marriage is in deniale and needs to come out of the closet

Posted by: thomas | Jul 27, 2012 5:43:42 PM

13. I'm not seeing the hate from T.D. Jakes regarding his son. He is a pastor. He believes what he believes. Can you really knock him for that just because you're ok with something?

Posted by: Tiffany | Jul 28, 2012 8:13:13 PM

14. IT IS WELL.
    D BIBLE SAYS 4 EVERY SHAME HE WIL GIV U DOUBLE.I BELIEVE U T.D JAKES ARE SET 4 A NEW ORDER OF GLORY.
    MAKE D DEVIL MAD BY COMMITING EVERYTIN IN2 D HANDS OF GOD.

Posted by: Divine | Aug 15, 2012 11:25:30 AM

15. I thank God for the Bishop and his Christlike approuch to things; even to his sinful son. Indeed, he not the savior or solution; only God is.
    I pray that his son and others in his situation will recive God's redemptive grace. That, the scales in their eyes will be opened to understand why God created them, sex and marriage.
    Lesbians, homosexuals etc are sinners and need to repent and forsake their sins. God is not suggesting to man; sin is self destructive! The applause of such abnormalities in the American society only show the heights of human deprivity, moral bankruptcy and spiritual dryness. Wake up America!

Posted by: J.M.E | Aug 16, 2012 7:15:04 AM

16. All I hear is hate from the homos. Because TD Jakes commented on his son choice, people now say he is a man of hatred. Let's not forget his son commited a crime and the homo's are not talking about that. It is still not ok to expose yourself homo or not. So don't try and change the subject and blame TD for his son's bad choice.

Posted by: YeahDeMan | Aug 19, 2012 6:50:37 PM

17. Hi bishop T.D Jakes, the people who are saying such cruel things about you and your family are themselves empty and lost, therefore we just have to continue praying for them. I want to say that you are a great inspiration to millions of people across the globe, I pray that God continue to bless you and keep you and your family in good health. I just love you T. D Jakes with a fello kind of love of course lol. Peace my brother and God speed> Eugene Moses

Posted by: Eugene | Aug 24, 2012 10:30:15 AM

18. Hi bishop T.D Jakes, the people who are saying such cruel things about you and your family are themselves empty and lost, therefore we just have to continue praying for them. I want to say that you are a great inspiration to millions of people across the globe, I pray that God continue to bless you and keep you and your family in good health. I just love you T. D Jakes with a fello kind of love of course lol. Peace my brother and God speed> Eugene Moses

Posted by: Eugene | Aug 24, 2012 10:30:15 AM

19. hi
    tanks lord for now as i can confess about all i have done three days befor but i prayed in jesus name to ride of me from mastorbte and god put some one as my wife in my life at soon
    tank you sooo much for this minestry
    over all this i need the help for rescue this country
    plz help me i am in dabgerous between muslem s people
    god bless you amen

Posted by: payam | Aug 31, 2012 6:12:09 AM

20. I AGREE, "RANDALL!" THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH, "Jacking off in the bushes..."

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Aug 31, 2012 6:22:00 AM

21. Brother Jakes
    No weapon formed against you shall prosper and every tongue that rise up against you,you shall condemn.

I pray for you and your family.GOD BLESS and SUSTAIN

Posted by: edgar: South Africa | Sep 5, 2012 3:34:20 AM

22. Brother Jakes

I pray for you and your family.GOD BLESS and SUSTAIN

Posted by: edgar: South Africa | Sep 5, 2012 3:34:20 AM

23. my mentor TD JAKES. dnt mind those people that made sum unreasonable comment. you have done you path in bring him up right from birth to 20yrs youi have tried. God is the rewarder he will reward you dnt stop praying all is praying for you and you son. you son will sure be forgiven since this has happened. God is not wicked that he will forget his word that those that come to him for forgiveness that he will accept. i know and believe God that he will forgive jamie but it all depends on us to pray n believ

Posted by: blessed victor | Sep 10, 2012 1:42:01 PM

24. The Bible is the infallible written word of God. Satan is busy and he wants to confuse God people. God is not the author of confusion
    but of peace. The Bible speaks about the perilous times, Godliness in the last days, the truth for a lie, and the lie for the truth. In the end my brothers and sister we all will be accountable for what we have done. No one will be exempt from the judgement seat of Christ, weather you believe it or not. The signs of the times are here. God through his love, Grace, and Mercy has given us time to come back to him.

Posted by: stefon Spruill Sr | Sep 22, 2012 12:00:08 PM

25. wow where is tha love JESUS is LOVE......

Posted by: keep smiling | Sep 23, 2012 11:40:18 AM