Deaths | News | Television

Pat Sajak Offers Tearful Condolences to Gay Partner of His Stylist

Sajak

A tearful Pat Sajak took the opportunity on Wheel of Fortune to offer a tribute following the death of Alan Mills, a Wheel employee in charge of Sajak's wardrobe.

Said Sajak (begins at 2:23): "Between the time that we taped this show and we aired it tonight, we lost our dear friend Alan Mills. Alan officially took care of my wardrobe on the show, unofficially took care of all of us. He was the kindest, gentlest soul you'd ever want to meet. To his family, to his circle of friends, to the love of his life, Ivan, our sympathies. We're very sad here. Good-bye Alan. We love you."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

You may have missed...
Gay Contestant Introduces Fiancé on Wheel of Fortune [tr]

Comments

1. Kind of him and heartfelt, and yet I have to wonder how he would feel about granting Ivan marriage rights? Sajak is an ardent right-winger, and very outspoken about Hollywood's values. Sympathy is great, but I want people to put their money where their tears are, too.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 17, 2009 5:54:39 PM

2. Omg. That was so beautiful. I am really touched by that. Way to go,Pat.

Posted by: cb4422 | Feb 17, 2009 5:55:20 PM

3. Class Act.

Posted by: dego | Feb 17, 2009 5:57:58 PM

4. Wow, that was really sweet, I teared up.

Posted by: RonTex | Feb 17, 2009 5:58:18 PM

5. Matthew,
    Maybe just once it's not about politics. Maybe he is just saying goodbye to his friend and acknowledging"the love of his life,Ivan" Plain and simple. I have never heard Sajak say anything about marriage rights. It's wrong to assume that just because he is Republican,he is against marriage for all.

Posted by: cb4422 | Feb 17, 2009 6:08:24 PM

6. Wow. You can see that Pat is really devastated by this. Hopefully he's more pro-gay rights than his conservative position would indicate. One can only hope.

Posted by: David | Feb 17, 2009 6:09:35 PM

7. Whatever else, that was full of menschlichkeit.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 17, 2009 6:21:28 PM

8. From the Vaults: Here is Pat Sajak's interview with the gay paper in Dallas from two years ago:

While conservative, he did add this:
    "I may or may not be heterosexual. I've never made that announcement, and I don't expect to."

Posted by: henry | Feb 17, 2009 6:43:26 PM

9. CB4422, haven't you read the papers? Republicans no like teh gay. Nice "maybe just once it's not about politics" try, though. Sweet, actually.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Feb 17, 2009 6:47:46 PM

10. That brief interview with the Dallas paper is especially curious for a man who's been married twice and has two kids. Most hetero men are pretty adamant about making their straightness well known. It just seems like he would naturally have mentioned his hetero cred.

Though I must add that Pat Sajak's sexual partners are not of much interest to me one way or another.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 17, 2009 6:50:39 PM

11. Class act

Posted by: KFLO | Feb 17, 2009 6:53:04 PM

12. Can honestly say that I never thought about Mr Sajak's sexuality but I was moved by his goodbye to his friend. There was an article in the AJC about a straight guy who's best friend was Gay. It was interesting because it blew apart so many stereotypes. We as the Gay community wants the straight community to be tolerant but when they are and they show emotion then we target them as Gay. To me for now this is just a guy who is upset that a friend of his died.

Posted by: dbfeb | Feb 17, 2009 7:11:24 PM

13. Can honestly say that I never thought about Mr Sajak's sexuality but I was moved by his goodbye to his friend. There was an article in the AJC about a straight guy who's best friend was Gay. It was interesting because it blew apart so many stereotypes. We as the Gay community wants the straight community to be tolerant but when they are and they show emotion then we target them as Gay. To me for now this is just a guy who is upset that a friend of his died.

Posted by: dbfeb | Feb 17, 2009 7:13:15 PM

14. The fact that America as a whole was exposed to the reality of Alan's love of his life being Ivan is the crucial point of the statement, NOT the messenger (Pat).

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Feb 17, 2009 7:14:50 PM

15. When still went to school with Sayjak's kid, I recall the man to be very nice and sincere. This proves my observation was true.

Vanna's also wonderful. Met her a couple of times and she was always sooooo friendly.

I love these people

Posted by: MateoM | Feb 17, 2009 7:42:25 PM

16. John in Manhattan, you really debase something lovely and sincere with your black vs. white, Democrat vs. Republican bullshit mentality.

People like you are what is wrong with this country. I am so fucking sick of the goddamned gang mentality!!

Someone who is a Republican shows goodness in his heart and then because you are in the other, equally assholefied tribe of Democrats, you have to negate this positive thing.

Republicans and Democrats phonily sticking together and being against outsiders is why shit is falling apart more and more every goddamned day.

Fucking twats.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 17, 2009 10:38:51 PM

17. i agree. class act. he didn't have to say a damn thing, didn't have to give any tribute. he didn't have to mention his "circle of friends", didn't have to mention ivan. that was a specific choice. the war for equal rights is not won in the court rooms or the senate. it might end there but it is won in the individual hearts of people who we encounter day after day, door to door. alan mills clearly made a human difference to pat sajak and pat took a moment to let a bazillion middle american wheel watchers know that. again, class act.

Posted by: bob | Feb 17, 2009 11:32:32 PM

18. I know Ivan's sister and I believe that this past valentine's day, 4 days ago, would have been their 28th anniversary. I also believe that he did the clothes for Alex Tribec (sp?)
    on Jeopardy. Alan was a sweetheart and will be missed.

Posted by: busytimmy | Feb 18, 2009 1:43:40 AM

19. I know Ivan's sister and I believe that this past valentine's day, 4 days ago, would have been their 28th anniversary. I also believe that he did the clothes for Alex Tribec (sp?)
    on Jeopardy. Alan was a sweetheart and will be missed.

Posted by: busytimmy | Feb 18, 2009 1:45:56 AM

20. I am a Republican but I am not against gay marriage. I don't see what it hurts, so I always vote in favor of allowing it (whether the answer is yes or no depends on the way they ask the question!).

I don't think anyone wants all Republicans to be anti-gay... how can you change ideas in a group without infiltrating its ranks? Liberals won't make Republicans pro-gay, Republicans will. Don't be assuming anything about Pat.

As for the beautiful tribute, I think it speaks for itself.

Posted by: RigaToni | Feb 18, 2009 5:43:33 PM

21. I've never thought twice about Sajak and then you see something like this and realize how great human beings are existing quietly all around us everywhere. So sorry for Ivan.

Posted by: Marie | Feb 18, 2009 7:34:13 PM

22. I find it really quite sad that such a gentle, heartfelt statement about condolence has been ripped apart by politics. I have sympathy for Mr Mill's family and friends (Sajak included). It's incredibly tough to loose somebody you are quite close with, how nice of him to honour him after his death.

Posted by: lis | Feb 18, 2009 8:41:53 PM

23. Yet my friends Dan and Kevin, together for twenty years and who just saw each other through a heart attack and cancer,-- well, civil unions are good enough.

Posted by: penis büyütücü | Jan 2, 2011 6:15:59 PM

24. I know Ivan's sister and I believe that this past valentine's day, 4 days ago, would have been their 28th anniversary. I also believe that he did the clothes for Alex Tribec (sp?)
    on Jeopardy. Alan was a sweetheart and will be missed.

Posted by: zayıflama | Jan 16, 2011 10:23:47 AM

25. Yet my friends Dan and Kevin, together for twenty years and who just saw each other through a heart attack and cancer,-- well, civil unions are good enough.

Posted by: gogus buyutucu | May 31, 2011 4:48:35 AM