David Beckham | Football | Gay Slurs | News | Spain | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Spanish Football Fans Hurl 'Faggot' Slur at David Beckham

Beckham

In a friendly match between England and Spain on Wednesday, football fans chanted "Beckham maricón" from the stands. "Maricón" is the Spanish equivalent of "faggot." The homophobic chanting was reported to FIFA and the English FA by the Gay Football Supporters Network.

Law enforcement officials have taken a hard line in recent months against homophobic chanting at football games. Eleven people were recently arrested after homophobic chants directed at Portsmouth player Sol Campbell during a game against Tottenham Hotspur. The perpetrators were identified in photos of the crowd.

Said GFSN campaigns officer Chris Basiurski: "Homophobia is still rife in football and it as great to see so many different groups committed to doing something about it. It became obvious very quickly the UK has progressed further on this issue than the rest of Europe, mainly due to the cooperation of the English FA and we look forward to working with the other European gay football groups in the coming years. This week's homophobic abuse of David Beckham at the Spain v England international highlights the need for action and in the long term we hope to show that such behaviour is not acceptable."

Watch a video of the chanting, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. In Mexico at least, Maricón is Sissy, while Joto is Faggot. I'm sure there's an equivalent in Spain...

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 13, 2009 11:48:33 AM

2. Remember also how cute the Spanish were at the Olympics, as team after team posed for the cameras making hilarious "chinky" eyes?

I know it's counterintuitive to call a race racist, but man...

Spanish sports fans make UK and US fans look like mensa members.

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 13, 2009 11:56:28 AM

3. Spanish sports fans seem to be a classy bunch.

Weren't some also painted in black mocking Lewis Hamilton at an F1 race? Is something in the water?

Posted by: Nick | Feb 13, 2009 12:20:32 PM

4. Perhaps I'm stereotyping now, but I don't typically look to sportsfans for examples of enlightenment. At least the Spanish government has evolved enough to recognize gay marriage.

Posted by: Tony in West Hollywood | Feb 13, 2009 12:27:43 PM

5. Arresting people for mean words? That's pretty harsh, and not something I support at all, and frankly, as a gay man committed to civil rights for all, I am amazed that anyone would support such an unenlightened response.

Posted by: Paul Brown | Feb 13, 2009 12:39:21 PM

6. I tought maricon meant gay. How do you say gay in spanish then?

PS. look at the use of comic sans in the background... gross. That's a crime in and of itself.

Posted by: Rio | Feb 13, 2009 12:43:53 PM

7. Rio, maricon=fag.

In Spanish gay=gay.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 13, 2009 1:10:57 PM

8. BECKHAM IS THE GREAT MAN !!!! MARICON ??? FAGGOT ??? NO !!!! IS THE SUPERMAN DAVID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: LUKE | Feb 13, 2009 1:53:59 PM

9. I'm with Paul Brown -- the world doesn't need speech (or thought) police. That's fascism.

I actually think it would funny if Beckham got more of this sort of thing so we could see how long it took his best "buddy" Tom Cruise to dissociate himself from him

Posted by: paul c | Feb 13, 2009 2:49:31 PM

10. When something like that happens, simply stop that match. Everyone out; get moving! No refunds!!!
    People might start to behave when tired of paying for nothing.

Posted by: P'tit Loup | Feb 14, 2009 3:50:06 AM

11. as a spanish football fan and an american (as well as a beckham fan), i want to point out that not all spaniards are homophobic, intolerant jerks like the loudmouths that were yelling at david. spain really loves david beckham, especially madridistas, and he is respected in spain. just because a handful of people were yelling at him doesn't mean that all of spain are that rude or feel that way. i'm definitely not defending what those people were doing, i just want to defend spain and their football. :)

Posted by: michellle | Feb 16, 2009 2:40:50 AM

12. I am rowan atkinson. I agree with you. I hump it's counterintuitive to birdsong a vie prejudiced, but man...
    Nation sports fans head UK and US fans await suchlike mensa members.
    I'm with Saint Brown -- the humanity doesn't condition words (or content) constabulary. That's fascism.
    I actually anticipate it would unusual if Beckham got author of this category of abstraction so we could see how bimestrial it took his finest "chum" Tom Voyage to disunite himself from him
    When something similar that happens, only place that alter. Everyone out; get heartwarming! No refunds!!!
    Grouping power act to move when footsore of paying for aught.
    =====================
    rowanat01

Posted by: Spanish Furniture Packages | Jun 24, 2010 3:48:37 AM

13. I am rowan atkinson. I agree with you. I hump it's counterintuitive to birdsong a vie prejudiced, but man...Nation sports fans head UK and US fans await suchlike mensa members.
    When something similar that happens, only place that alter.
    Grouping power act to move when footsore of paying for aught.
    =====================
    rowanat01

Posted by: Spanish Furniture Packages | Jun 24, 2010 3:51:06 AM

14. First of all, it isn't football, it's "futbol" and second, everyone who plays it is a faggot, regardless of his sexual orientation. Who cares? It's soccer.

Posted by: steve | Oct 26, 2011 7:24:48 PM